PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peyton 'compliments' Brady...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It must really chap Manning's ass that despite his brilliant career he's been overshadowed by a sixth round draft pick.

Tom and Peyton are good friends, so I have to think there is some inside joke going on here.

Interesting quote from Brady. That is definitely a semi-dig... but it IS also complimentary.

"It must really chap Manning's ass that despite his brilliant career he's been overshadowed by a sixth round draft pick."

I doubt that... Peyton is quite happy to run up the records and do those TV ads. Hell, if it paid him decent coin, I could see him yelling out your turn of phrase there: "Chap that ass! Chap that ass!" LOL

Last edited:
Well, if you saw Tom's "compliments" (where he basically called Peyton old) maybe this makes more sense. I suspect that there is some kind of ribbing going on here that we are not privy to.

Yep, for all we like to emphasize the rivalry, those two clearly like and respect each other.

Anybody read the book Word Freak about championship Scrabble players? There's a point where one of the top players in the world laments that there are so few even at the elite level who can truly play the "whole game" in all its depth and beauty. I.e. you have to get beyond memorizing word lists and shuffling tiles to where you're managing your rack strategically, seeing all of the possibilities and calculating all of the probabilities, etc.

My guess is that Tom and Peyton are like that. They're playing a different game than most people can understand, and appreciate (and take special satisfaction in defeating) a true peer.

Tom and Peyton are good friends, so I have to think there is some inside joke going on here.

Nah, it's Peyton trying to protect his fragile legacy by keeping his Brady praise to a mere minimum.
Tom says Peyton is the greatest, because when you're the greatest, you can call other people that without caring. For Peyton it would be much more an admission of defeat.

Brady's 3 rings, 5 Superbowls and 8 AFC Championship games, making him the undisputed star of the NFL during his career, allows him to be as gracious as he wants to be. He's invincible.

I wouldn't expect Peyton to give Tom any real compliments. He still holds it against Brady that he has 3 SB rings. Remember how in the 2006 AFCCG he literally prayed to God on the sideline and said something along the lines of " why does Tom get to have 3 SB rings and I have none?"
If anyone has a link to that, please do so.

If that happened, I'm disappointed Peyton prayed that. It would be one thing if he were homeless and destitute, but most of us would love to be where he is in life, even with the disappointments he's had.

If that happened, I'm disappointed Peyton prayed that. It would be one thing if he were homeless and destitute, but most of us would love to be where he is in life, even with the disappointments he's had.

I think it was on the Colts documentary NFL films did for 2006.

"After the final score, Manning was on the sideline, his head down, unable to watch. Brady threw an interception to Marlin Jackson and the RCA Dome crowd went wild. One kneel down later and Manning ripped off his helmet to celebrate.

"I said a little prayer on that last drive," Manning said. "I don't know if you're supposed to pray for stuff like that, but I said a little prayer.""

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=270121011

Not exactly what the previous poster intimated, though.

"After the final score, Manning was on the sideline, his head down, unable to watch. Brady threw an interception to Marlin Jackson and the RCA Dome crowd went wild. One kneel down later and Manning ripped off his helmet to celebrate.

"I said a little prayer on that last drive," Manning said. "I don't know if you're supposed to pray for stuff like that, but I said a little prayer.""

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=270121011

Not exactly what the previous poster intimated, though.

Thank you for clarifying :)

NYCPatsfan, I'm not saying anything more than this was a weak compliment. And it struck me as odd... mainly because Peyton is a generally complimentary and insightful person towards others. You would think he'd have better insights into his chief rival over the years than 'always rings the bell.'
Lighten up, Francis.

wait - let me get this straight? does he "ring the bell (definitely lame) or "answer the bell" (as in gets up after being flattened by Giant D)

omg is dis bulliten bored material or wat lol wtf

It must really chap Manning's ass that despite his brilliant career he's been overshadowed by a sixth round draft pick.
Chicken parm tastes so good.

Yep, for all we like to emphasize the rivalry, those two clearly like and respect each other.

Anybody read the book Word Freak about championship Scrabble players? There's a point where one of the top players in the world laments that there are so few even at the elite level who can truly play the "whole game" in all its depth and beauty. I.e. you have to get beyond memorizing word lists and shuffling tiles to where you're managing your rack strategically, seeing all of the possibilities and calculating all of the probabilities, etc.

My guess is that Tom and Peyton are like that. They're playing a different game than most people can understand, and appreciate (and take special satisfaction in defeating) a true peer.

Great Chess players, especially the nutty (but not paranoid or Soviet) ones are like that because no matter how much you hate that other guy he is the only one who TRULY understands and does not think it is merely a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes