Welcome to PatsFans.com

Petraeus: Troop Buildup Working in Iraq

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Aug 31, 2007.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

Here is Patraeus's take on the surge thus far:

http://newsmax.com/international/australia_petraeus/2007/08/31/28966.html

Wonder if this will get covered by the US MSM? :rolleyes:

2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +498 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

Hey P 13 I've got some nice swampland for sale cheap,for you even cheaper And quess what it comes with a toll bridge you can charge people to cross into CANDY LAND. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  3. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

George, give that man a medal, you know those Medal of Freedoms that you give your boy's, wink. Petraeus reported to an Australian newspaper owned by Murdock that there was a 75% drop in ethnic and religious killings since last year. Wow, can he get two medals? The death toll from sectarian attack has doubled from the pace of a year ago. What I really don't understand is why do Bush supporters believe what comes out of the White House as gospel. Oh, and yes, consider Petraeus as part of that family. Do all these liberal media outlets make up all these Iraq deaths?

4. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +498 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

SCOUT
    "What I really don't understand is why do Bush supporters believe what comes out of the White House as gospel"

Because they can't think for themselves! ;)

5. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

6. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

Patraeus isn't part of the White House he is a general on the ground.

Amazing how when a US soldier who has spent his life defending this country reports success for our country's military the haters refuse to consider he might be telling the truth.

7. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +498 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

Bush has gone through one general after another. When ever a general doesn't tell him what he wants to hear,or disagrees with him there gone. And this has been going on since before this war started. Starting with Gen. Shensecky.

8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Is it me, or has the debate about "progress' and "failure" in Iraq become and idiotic circle jerk of obscene proportions just like the same circle jerk of any other stupid "conflict" we've had since WWII? The fact that PF13 and Mikey have decided to have a discussion about the same thing but with different threads ia revealing enough. The fact that the politicians love such behavior adds to the absurdity. The best thing a politician has ever seen in his life is a divided bunch of mind-slaves that are stupid enough to fall for his and his friends' game! :mad:

Fakrissakes...who the hell are we kidding, here? No one can really believe that these court jesters like Patraeus can be completely honest to the public and the press. No one in his right mind could give any weight to a "report" from this White House bich without wondering how tainted or reflective of the truth such a report would be...could they?:confused:

9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

Patraeus got the gig because of the results he obtained in Mosul earlier, the tatics he is using are different from his predicessors.

How many Generals did Lincoln go through before Grant took over?

Mnay times Generals fight the last war, and it take the right guy to develop the tatics for the new conflict.

10. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

JEEZIZ FU*KING CHRIST!
    Are you comparing Bush to LINCOLN!!??
    The generals take their direction from the PEOPLE! The president tells the generals what the objectives are. My guess is that they have all failed because they have no real goals to achieve.. The Congress approves the PResidents actions. ONLY THEN can the generals even consider where they can sh!t!

11. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +498 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

Bravo,bravo. :rocker:

12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

I am making the point that in other wars a president had to go through a lot of cammanders to find the guy with the right stuff to win.

BTW calling a guy like Patraeus who has served hsi country for many years a 'court jester is pretty low and beneath you wista, It does demopnstrate how hard it is for you to be rational about anything to do with the war due to your hatred of Bush.

13. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Nice try at shooting the messenger or deflecting the response to feigning "outrage" at a supposed attack on a politician, which Patraeus is. I donn't fault the good general on his decision to throw himself into the middle of this cesspool AKA Iraq debate. It might work out for his career in the long run...maybe net hin a Medal of Freedom or some sh-t like that. I don't deny or affirm whether or not Patraeus "served his country" in the past (maybe you could tell me how he has so courageously served his country...I haven't researched him at all). Right now, he's a stooge for this failure of a president, his policy, and he will surely be replaced soon.

14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

If you took the time to look at what is happening on the ground as reported by the mil bloggers you would see that the surge is reducing civilian casualities, Sadr is out of the country and telling militia to stand down and AL Queda is being destroyed in Iraq, These are good things why does tghis make you angry?

15. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Civilian casualties are down. That's a good thing. Sadr telling his militia to lay off is a good thing. They make me happy. What are you saying? How do you know Patreus is telling the truth?

16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

Mil Bloggers on the ground guys like Ralph Peters and Michael Yon who have spent time on the ground and been plenty critical when they saw problems, say things are getting better. That and the objective statistics back up what Patraeus is saying.

17. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +841 / 27 / -33

I hardly think that any segment of the MSM will credit Newsmax with anything, I do however think the real MSM, the so called talk commentators Rush, Savage et al will certainly use this article as a benchmark for next weeks gruel to the "dittoheads". Remember that these guys are not newscasters, they are commentators even though most who listen to them really believe that they are getting the actual news from them.

18. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

Castro Supports Pant Suit Hillary & Clean Big Ears Obama

For God Sake Surrender Before We Win

Send More Money To Katrina

Adopt An Illegal Alien

Where Is Crazy Boob Gore

I Am Not Gay I Have Never Been Gay

Uncle Teddy Needs A new Liver

Free Sex For All Poor People

Where Is Monica

Billy Blue Dress Had Sex With Janet Reno In A Ladies Room

Get Bush

Sean Penn Had Sex With Hugo Chavez In A Mens Room

I Love Toilets
    God Is Great
    Death To America
    :bricks:

19. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

This site contains Iraq civilian deaths per day, from Thursday the 23rd through Wednesday the 29th. Then scroll down to the right hand side, click on, 1 week, 2 week, 3 week, 4 week, and see how the death rate has diminished. What are you willing to believe, that this sites numbers are blown out of proportion, or that the White House (Gen. Petaeus) is giving us propaganda to ensure 'victory'.

Please log on to this:
    http://www.iraqbodycount.org/database/recent/

20. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

sorry General, but no one's buying it... that's the problem when you have an administration caught in lie after lie for so long...

BILL SCHNEIDER: "Suppose General Petraeus reports that the US is making progress in Iraq. Would that have much impact on public opinion? Apparently not. 72% of Americans say it would not affect their view of the war at all. Only 28% say it would make them more likely to support the war, and most of those already favor the war. But does the public trust the top commander to report what's really going on? Only 43% say yes. A majority of Americans say they do not expect a completely objective report. And that public skepticism is certain to be reinforced by the fact that the report will actually be compiled by the White House. Any document that is submitted by the White House is bound to be seen as a political document."​

and here's another general who doesn't see progress in Iraqi willingness to "stand up"... wonder when he's fired:

In Baghdad, Maj. Gen. Benjamin Mixon, the U.S. commander in northern Iraq, said he is aggravated by Iraq’s inability to see its security forces properly led, supplied and equipped on the battlefield.

“I have not seen any improvement really in the year I’ve been here,” Mixon said. He said red tape and decisions on appointments based on religious affiliation and other biases hamper the Iraqi army. ​

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007