PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peterson at it again: LM this is toughness!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Peterson went down with the injury, everyone in the football world held their breath. Would the promising rookie be able to recover? Were the critics right about his "upright running" style being too dangerous for the NFL?

Peterson answered all questions with his breakout return performance in week 13. 116 yards rushing and 2 TDs. This is called Toughness people. It's an example that Maroney would be well served to learn from.

http://www.nfl.com/players/adrianpeterson/gamelogs?id=PET260705

After missing only 2 games (week 11 and 12), Peterson comes back with this type of performance. That's what I call a FOOTBALL player.

In the face of seeing this type of toughness, coming back so quickly from injury, how can we countenance any further "babying" of Laurence Maroney?

It has been over 9 weeks since Maroney was last hurt. (He missed games 4, 5, 6). We are now in week 13. It's time to see if Maroney is made of sterner stuff, or if he's made out of silly putty.
http://www.nfl.com/players/laurencemaroney/gamelogs?id=MAR273311

It is pretty clear the difference you get from a #1 franchise back and ... Laurence Maroney. But there are 5 games left in the season. "LoMo" can still redeem himself. He just needs to develop a bit of toughness and start running decisively.

Like it or not, at least for 2007, Maroney is the #1 option for the Pats at the RB position. Come on Maroney, "buck up", take a page from Peterson's book. Run tough between the tackles and don't get intimidated by that Raven's D. Ray Lewis' best days are long behind him. And the Ravens offense is putrid. This is as good a game to step up as any.

Your bias against Maroney is fueled by nothing but specualtion. You are uninformed and not in a position to judge. Comparing a team like the Vikings, who need to run since they can't pass, to the Patriots who up until now have barely had to hand the ball off at all is nothing short of foolish.

Draft Darren McFadden.

God, could you imagine? Brady under center, Moss and Jackson split wide, Welker in the slot, Watson at TE, and McFadden in the backfield... Who the hell do you key on??? Oh man oh man, DRAFT DARREN MCFADDEN.

It is true that the Patriots can't really do anything about their RB situation until 2008, but that doesn't mean we fans have to take it on blind faith that everything is "hunky dory" at that position until the Pats lose.

The Patriots were guilty to some extent of that kind of thinking in 2006, when they "made do" with Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney as their starting wideouts. They didn't "lose" a big game until the AFCCG. News flash, if you wait that long to make a change, it's going to cost you big time.

After the 2006 playoffs, the Patriots reviewed their weaknesses and remedied the WR situation with a complete overhaul. The payoff? The most dominating aerial offensive attack, possibly of all time.

If we can concede that Maroney's production is mediocre and more in line with a #2 RB. And that it is not attractive to have Kyle Eckel and Heath Evans be our only options after him, it stands to reason the RB position could use some help come 2008.

What worries me more than Maroney's lack of production is this new indication that he lacks toughness. Were his teammates trying to send him a message? When you look at real, Tough, football players like Peterson, who strap it on 2 weeks after an injury and still produce over 100 yards it really makes the differences stand out.

If Maroney is unwilling or unable to play through a little physical pain (if it is true that he is still nicked), how can he be depended on to be the Pats #1 back of the future?

OK, lets make a deal here and now...

we will leave maroney alone, until one of two things happen

A. we lose a game

B. we win the SB....

so until we lose or the season is over, dont bash maroney, not until he fails us when he need him most

however, i do agree, Peterson is a beast

Actually you have things mixed up. Because the Vikings MUST run, Peterson is constantly facing 8 men in the box and STILL producing results. He's got a way tougher job than Maroney.
Maroney's job only becomes easier because he is often running against soft defenses geared to stop the pass and genuine weapons like Tom Brady and Randy Moss.
If anything, he should strive in that position if he had any amount of ability and toughness.

Your bias against Maroney is fueled by nothing but specualtion. You are uninformed and not in a position to judge. Comparing a team like the Vikings, who need to run since they can't pass, to the Patriots who up until now have barely had to hand the ball off at all is nothing short of foolish.

Last edited:
It's true.
Some people just can't be happy.:(

I'm curious exactly what is wanted out of Maroney?
I guess we should trade Brady for Travaris Jackson, so we have no passing game and need to give Maroney 400 carries this year? That way he wouldn't be a bust?
Maroney was HELD OUT of games to recuperate from an injury. SO? I'm pretty freaking happy that we CAN do that.
When we were destroying the Bills, BB put the back up RBs in. I dont know, maybe I'm just stupid, but if you are going to run the ball in a game that is already over,do we want our #1 RB taking 20 more hits? Of course we do, so then the Maroney bashers could be happy.

We have what is very likely THE BEST OFFENSE IN NFL HISTORY.
Because of that, Maroneys role has been to play less than typical #1 RBs.
We happen to have one of the best receiving/pass blocking RBs in the NFL, who is a season veteran. When we throw a lot, he plays.
I guess it would be better that we didn't have him, so we had to play Maroney every play of the game, so then people wouldn't be able to CREATE commentary that he isn't tough.

I know one thing. There is no one in this thread would has said Maroney isn't tough who would be willing to meet him in a dark alley and say that.

How many #1 backs don't get on the field in the 1st half of games and stand on the sidelines, while people claim he is on the sideline because of the "gameplan" or because the coaches are being "cautious" because of surgery months ago?:rolleyes:

Way to avoid looking at the elephant in the room! Oh, but it doesn't change the point, does it? Of course not.

I guess we should trade Brady for Travaris Jackson, so we have no passing game and need to give Maroney 400 carries this year? That way he wouldn't be a bust?
Maroney was HELD OUT of games to recuperate from an injury. SO? I'm pretty freaking happy that we CAN do that.
When we were destroying the Bills, BB put the back up RBs in. I dont know, maybe I'm just stupid, but if you are going to run the ball in a game that is already over,do we want our #1 RB taking 20 more hits? Of course we do, so then the Maroney bashers could be happy.

We happen to have one of the best receiving/pass blocking RBs in the NFL, who is a season veteran. When we throw a lot, he plays.
I guess it would be better that we didn't have him, so we had to play Maroney every play of the game, so then people wouldn't be able to CREATE commentary that he isn't tough.

I know one thing. There is no one in this thread would has said Maroney isn't tough who would be willing to meet him in a dark alley and say that.

Well said. These are exactly the points the original poster fails to understand.

What an unbelievably stupid standard to use when discussing professional athletes.

Do I have to be able to beat him in an arm wrestling contest to say that I don't think Robert Mathis has the upper body strength to be an elite DE?

Passing Offense, yes.

Rushing Offense is average.

Overall, I suppose when they break the points scored record it will get overlooked but the running game is okay (but not anywhere near the level of the passing attack).

We have now reached the point in the arguement where the detractors repeat themselves. And the spiral of nonsense continues....:snob:

Way to avoid looking at the elephant in the room! Oh, but it doesn't change the point, does it? Of course not.

What's the point? Other running backs get hurt and then get the rock when they are cleared to play. Maroney has not been on the injury report in weeks, yet the coaches don't give him the rock because they are "protecting" him from an injury? He doesn't get the rock because he is a mediocre player. Maroney is always nicked up with minor injuries that his supporters use as fuel to excuse his sorry arse performance. Should it be any surprise that somebody put diapers in the kid's locker? The kid has shown NOTHING to convince me is TOUGH. Nothing.

Last edited:
What an unbelievably stupid standard to use when discussing professional athletes.

Do I have to be able to beat him in an arm wrestling contest to say that I don't think Robert Mathis has the upper body strength to be an elite DE?

No. But I just get a kick out of people questioning a players toughness, when they are probably ****ies themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the point? Other running backs get hurt and then get the rock when they are cleared to play. Maroney has not been on the injury report in weeks, yet the coaches don't give him the rock because they are "protecting" him from an injury? Maroney is always nicked up with minor injuries that his supporters use as fuel to excuse his sorry arse performance. Should it be any surprise that somebody put diapers in the kid's locker? The kid has shown NOTHING to convince me is TOUGH. Nothing.

You are making an assumption, then using it as fact.
There is no fact involved in your assumption about why Maroney didn't get significant carries.
The MOST LIKELY reason is gameplan. If my gameplan is to throw the football all day, my RB isn't going to get a lot of carries. That says nothing about my RB being 'nicked up' (That you have totally fabricated) or him being protected from injury.

When we were destroying the Bills, AND KEVIN FAULK had an injry of undetermined extent, how is it so difficult to recognize that BB decided that he both wanted to get game experience for the backups (if Faulk were hurt long time, you better know what you have in those guys) and the fact that there was no point in putting Maroney out there when the game was over to take 20 more hits??????
I am glad that BB didn't decide that Maroney would play so you can make yuor judgment on his toughness.

By the way, if Maroney has done nothing to prove his toughness to you, what would you have wanted him to do? Please refrain from using one of your assumptions as fact in answering.

This is a red herring. Nobody has suggested trading Brady except for yourself. The actual, and reasonably proscribed course of action is to replace Maroney with someone who CAN do the job.

Was Maroney held out because he's not tough enough to play through a little pain, or has the coaching staff lost confidence in him? These are legitimate concerns.

Maroney's numbers have been in decline since game 7. That trend well precedes the Buffalo game. And the Buffalo blowout does little to explain Maroney's disappearing act vs the Eagles.

Except for in the RB position.
Look at other prolific offenses of the past. They all had stud RBs.
The Buffalo Bills had Thurman Thomas, the Rams had Marshall Faulk, the Colts had Edgerrin James and now Joseph Addai.

The Patriots are the exception because Brady is such a transcendant player.
And Moss is quite possibly the perfect receiver for Brady.
That doesn't mean that it can't be improved upon.
The Pats one dimensonal, although great passing attack, nearly got Brady killed in the Eagles game.

If Maroney had any decent amount of RECEIVING ability he would see more snaps. Instead Kevin Faulk, who is supposed to be no more than a 3rd down back, is taking all those snaps. Doesn't that tell you something about Maroney?

Another red herring. Football tough and street fighter tough in a dark alley are entirely different things. I might not want Peterson to get my back in a bar fight, but I'd more than welcome his Toughness on the football field, any day of the week over Maroney.

Last edited:
Passing Offense, yes.

Rushing Offense is average.

Overall, I suppose when they break the points scored record it will get overlooked but the running game is okay (but not anywhere near the level of the passing attack).

In the NFL today, there's not a single team, anywhere, that can stop a receiving crew of Moss, Stallworth, Welker, Watson, Gaffney, Jackson, Faulk, Brown, Vrabel, Brady unless Brady simply stinks out the joint. People were pimping the Eagles game as a 'blueprint' when the Patriots put up almost 400 yards against that squad, and were insisting that the Colts had shown how to do it when they lost to New England, at home, even with numerous bad calls in their favor. Running the ball as a primary option isn't going to make sense in most circumstances with this being the team on the field. This is, perhaps, the greatest passing attack in history. Who gives a rat's ass if the 'rushing offense is average' as you claim? The team is 11-0 and has played all year in the same manner that it has played since Belichick took over: by generating game plans specific to the opponent faced that week. What is so hard for you people to understand?

In the NFL today, there's not a single team, anywhere, that can stop a receiving crew of Moss, Stallworth, Welker, Watson, Gaffney, Jackson, Faulk, Brown, Vrabel, Brady unless Brady simply stinks out the joint. People were pimping the Eagles game as a 'blueprint' when the Patriots put up almost 400 yards against that squad, and were insisting that the Colts had shown how to do it when they lost to New England, at home, even with numerous bad calls in their favor. Running the ball as a primary option isn't going to make sense in most circumstances with this being the team on the field. This is, perhaps, the greatest passing attack in history. Who gives a rat's ass if the 'rushing offense is average' as you claim? The team is 11-0 and has played all year in the same manner that it has played since Belichick took over: by generating game plans specific to the opponent faced that week. What is so hard for you people to understand?

To claim the title of "The Best Offense Ever" wouldn't you have to take into account both facets of offense? What's so hard to understand about that?

This is a red herring. Nobody has suggested trading Brady except for yourself. The actual, and reasonably proscribed course of action is to replace Maroney with someone who CAN do the job.

Was Maroney held out because he's not tough enough to play through a little pain, or has the coaching staff lost confidence in him? These are legitimate concerns.

Maroney's numbers have been in decline since game 7. That trend well precedes the Buffalo game. And the Buffalo blowout does little to explain Maroney's disappearing act vs the Eagles.

Except for in the RB position.
Look at other prolific offenses of the past. They all had stud RBs.
The Buffalo Bills had Thurman Thomas, the Rams had Marshall Faulk, the Colts had Edgerrin James and now Joseph Addai.

The Patriots are the exception because Brady is such a transcendant player.
And Moss is quite possibly the perfect receiver for Brady.
That doesn't mean that it can't be improved upon.
The Pats one dimensonal, although great passing attack, nearly got Brady killed in the Eagles game.

If Maroney had any decent amount of RECEIVING ability he would see more snaps. Instead Kevin Faulk, he is supposed to be no more than a 3rd down back, is taking all those snaps. Doesn't that tell you something about Maroney?

Another red herring. Football tough and street fighter tough in a dark alley are entirely different things. I might not want Peterson to get my back in a bar fight, but I'd more than welcome his Toughness on the football field, any day of the week over Maroney.

Who had the game winning TD in the Eagles game?

What's the point? Other running backs get hurt and then get the rock when they are cleared to play. Maroney has not been on the injury report in weeks, yet the coaches don't give him the rock because they are "protecting" him from an injury? He doesn't get the rock because he is a mediocre player. Maroney is always nicked up with minor injuries that his supporters use as fuel to excuse his sorry arse performance. Should it be any surprise that somebody put diapers in the kid's locker? The kid has shown NOTHING to convince me is TOUGH. Nothing.

You have no idea why Maroney has not been featured prominently enough to satify you. You've done nothing but pull suppositions and speculations out of your ass. And, as for the diapers, try actually reading the story about it rather than continuing to make yourself look stupid by pointing it out.

And btw, Kevin Faulk is the best 3rd down back in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back