PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King's Top 12 QB's of all time list

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Brady were to retire right now, I think in 10-15 years he'd be largely forgotten.

That should be inspiration for him to get off of Gisele and get his head in the game-o!

Brady checks in at a very pedestrian No. 10 on the list which sort of confirms the theory that King has never viewed Brady as a player on the same level as Manning or Favre.

Not really feeling his top two either since that era is so different than the last 40 years.

* This list is from his book coming out next month so it was probably written last off-season.

1. Otto Graham. Easy. Ten seasons, seven championships, seven passing titles.

2. Sammy Baugh. Had the best season of any player ever in 1943. Led the NFL in passing, punting and, as one of the best safeties in football, in interceptions.

3. Joe Montana. Made everyone copy Walsh's high-tech offense, and won four titles in a decade.

4. Johnny Unitas. First great modern quarterback, and great in the clutch. He'd be higher if he won more than one title in his last 14 seasons.

5. Brett Favre. Most durable, most productive quarterback of all time. Marred by only one title.

6. Peyton Manning. Could break every record if Favre ever retires. Needs another championship or two to climb the list.

Read more: Mark Sanchez, other young quarterbacks making their mark on NFL - Peter King - SI.com

[/COLOR][/LEFT]

Well it all depends on your rating system, which I contend King faltered from. When he describes Otto as number one - he rates championships and numbers as the criteria. Later he describes Favre as being durable/productive. So Peyton needs another championship to move up?

The criteria is off, so the rankings are too.

Explains why Brady isn't number 1 because he is in my book!

If Brady were to retire right now, I think in 10-15 years he'd be largely forgotten.

That should be inspiration for him to get off of Gisele and get his head in the game-o!

:wha:

WTF? I mean, seriously, WTFF?

Last edited:
and this was posted right after brady had arguably the worst game of his career. peter king is on the HOF committee and thinks based on numbers - that's how you get into the HOF, right? numbers. brady will never have peyton's numbers - just more wins and more rings.

I was going to say this too. Everything Peter King writes is colored by what happened 10 minutes before. If Brady had the game of his life, he probably would have been No. 6 (or 1 or 2) and Manning would have been lower. I only read him for the pure entertainment value (which sometimes isn't that great). Nothing more.

yes comparing otto graham and sammy baugh who played before you were born peter king to players in the modern era is fantastic

Yea I mean he only won, what, 3 Superbowls? And only 50 TDs in one season? Sheesh.

By the way, I nominate you for dumbest poster of the year.

I try to be as open minded as possible about comments on the board with which I disagree, but I just have to say that this comment is mind boggling. It's either the result of woeful ignorance about the modern day NFL or it's the product of someone trolling for flames.

I didn't have time to add it up exactly, but 650/700 players have started at the Quarterback position in the NFL since the SB era began in 1966.

Of those 700, only 52 have started in a Super Bowl.

Of those 52, only 27 have won at least one Super Bowl.

Of those 27, only ten have won more than one Super Bowl.

Of those ten, only four have won three or more Super Bowls: Aikman, Brady, Bradshaw and Montana.

Tom Brady's career, occurring as it has in the Post-Cap era, even if it ended today, will be legendary and the chance that he will be "largely forgotten" in 10--15 years by those who follow the NFL even tangentially is so low as to be unmeasurable.

That's as polite as I can be.

I was going to say this too. Everything Peter King writes is colored by what happened 10 minutes before. If Brady had the game of his life, he probably would have been No. 6 (or 1 or 2) and Manning would have been lower. I only read him for the pure entertainment value (which sometimes isn't that great). Nothing more.

I agree with you on the "entertainment" aspect, but King has clearly taken a view that stats trump championships. I happen to disagree with that in the NFL (not in MLB), but it is his view and we're not going to change his mind.

I agree with you on the "entertainment" aspect, but King has clearly taken a view that stats trump championships. I happen to disagree with that in the NFL (not in MLB), but it is his view and we're not going to change his mind.

king's view is that he wanted to write an article so he could be all smug about brady's bad week... its odd timing that he writes this article thats underlying theme is 'im going to write that brady is much lower on the all-time qb list than people think.' its other underling theme is 'im going to be a smug jackass and say that guys who played before i was born are the best qbs of all-time'

I'm sorry but he's saying Favre is the 2nd best QB of the modern era? I'm surprised he could say that with Brett's dusty balls lodged in his mouth.

yes comparing otto graham and sammy baugh who played before you were born peter king to players in the modern era is fantastic

I have to say, though, from watching Graham in those video clips, he seems like a guy who could certainly play today. The ball that guy throws is unparalleled in any era of NFL history. His accuracy was phenomenal and he threw a tight spiral. Some of the great QBs of the past look like they're throwing watermelons out there, but Otto Graham looks legimitately like one of the top 5 ever.

We're patriot fans. We believe that Brady is the best player of all time even if he retires after winning fewer than 100 regular season games.

Now we know for sure this is a troll account.

It's a bad list.

I'm not a troll at all.

Where is Dan Fouts, Warren Moon? Those guys were all world but they're forgotten.

You may think Brady is the GOAT, but memories are short.

More reason for Brady to get his nose out of Gisele's rear end and play football.

I'm not a troll at all.

Where is Dan Fouts, Warren Moon? Those guys were all world but they're forgotten.

More reason for Brady to get his nose out of Gisele's rear end and play football.

Combined, Warren Moon and Dan Fouts won more CFL Grey Cups than Brady ever will.

I agree with you, and I'm a troll too.

I'm not a troll at all.

Trolls love the invalid analogy. Your examples lack rings, which Brady has in spades. At least next time you could try harder or make it more entertaining.

Semi-serious question here. Why do we care if Tom Brady is considered the GOAT by Peter King? TB has brought us, fans, a lot of joy watching a team that for most of its history was painful to watch.

I always roll my eyes when Steelers fans get their underwear in a twist because someone won't say Big Ben isn't the best QB in the league. This is similar in my mind. TB is one of the greats to play QB, a first ballot HOFer, and may win more Superbowls than any other QB.

Lets enjoy the ride while we can and worry about how history remember TB after he retires.

FYI Peter King is a unimaginative hack for having to post a best QB of all time column in week 2 of a season. This is a conversation for off season, when there is no actual football to talk about.

FYI Peter King is a unimaginative hack for having to post a best QB of all time column in week 2 of a season. This is a conversation for off season, when there is no actual football to talk about.

like i mentioned, it was just a way to be smug. manning had a good week and brady bad? lets do this thing.

if brady had played well and manning like crap, then their spots are reversed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes