PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King's MMQB--Draft thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
If indeed this draft only has 17-18 guys with first round grades, why not package both picks and move up into the 8-12 region and snag a Patrick Willis or Darelle Revis or Leon Hall.

If indeed this draft only has 17-18 guys with first round grades, why not package both picks and move up into the 8-12 region and snag a Patrick Willis or Darelle Revis or Leon Hall.

That's why I wanted to package both first to get GB's first and second, but they might not want NE's two late first since they probably realize the value as where they select, now.

The biggest reason is because there are no guarentees in this draft, not even Calvin Johnson (though he is as close as you'll ever come). I would much rather draft Ben Watson and Logan Mankins then a Patrick Willis. I know this seems unfair because both Watson and Mankins are proven commodities, but at the time of the draft the general conception was that they were reaches in the 1st round. Well the Patriots have made a living out of finding reaches in the 1st round that become big time contributors and 2 will always be greater then 1.

Regardless of the "blue chip" grades assigned, the better value (bang for buck) is still late first/early second.

King says that he spoke with a personel guy whom he trusts very much and states his team gave "only 18 players first-round grades in its recently concluded draft meetings."

If that is true, this is the ideal draft to trade one of the 1st round picks for a 2nd and something high in the future.

Also, just about every player this side of CJ has major questions.

MMQB
the problem is going to be finding trading partners, other people will want to trade down just like us and people with the lower round picks wont give them up, its not as easy as saying lets trade and boom its happens i got a feeling the value isnt going to be there because its not a top heavy draft and most teams will know that

Concerning King's statement, I wonder if that mean the Pats would trade up between 15-20 to get the last 1st round tagged players.

I'd be irked if we took Jarret if Bowe and Meachem were on the board. Jarret may have a better grade by some but imo Bowe is the far more complete WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes