PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King's MMQB--Draft thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradfordPatsFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
King says that he spoke with a personel guy whom he trusts very much and states his team gave "only 18 players first-round grades in its recently concluded draft meetings."

If that is true, this is the ideal draft to trade one of the 1st round picks for a 2nd and something high in the future.

Also, just about every player this side of CJ has major questions.

MMQB

Given how wildly different boards tend to be, 18 is a pretty good number - if we have 18 players with first round grades we'll very likely get one at #24. I would love to trade down though.

Dwayne Jarrett as a second rounder. I don't want a WR but he'd be tough for me to pass up at #28.

Yeah...i kind of had the same thought.

I doubt the Pats take him though.
I just don't know how he fits our offense as we seem to do better with quickness than size . . . but his production numbers can't be denied and no-one takes the Mike Williams comparisons too seriously.

I just don't know how he fits our offense as we seem to do better with quickness than size . . . but his production numbers can't be denied and no-one takes the Mike Williams comparisons too seriously.

Why not? Mike Williams was so good that he challenged the NCAA after his Sophomore year because he probably would have gone top 5 in the draft. Same body type, same dominant receiver at that level, same juggernaut offense, same lack of quickness. Williams had two very productive years, as opposed to Jarrett's one.

I suppose attitude could be the difference, but in interviews with Jarrett he actually projects less humility and character than Williams did.

I think Jarrett's going to be the next great overpaid red zone threat.

Why not? Mike Williams was so good that he challenged the NCAA after his Sophomore year because he probably would have gone top 5 in the draft. Same body type, same dominant receiver at that level, same juggernaut offense, same lack of quickness. Williams had two very productive years, as opposed to Jarrett's one.
The vast majority of people have said that Jarrett is a much better worker than Williams. Not that he's necessarily the hardest working WR ever but that he's a solid worker whereas Williams was flat out lazy.

Given how wildly different boards tend to be, 18 is a pretty good number - if we have 18 players with first round grades we'll very likely get one at #24. I would love to trade down though.

I wouldn't count on BB having too many he'd want at #24. At #28 though -- that's a different story. FWIW, on my board, I only have 4 serious candidates for that #24 slot. At #28, I have another 7 legitimate prospects. I have another 6 who would be considered by some as reaches from round two.

Obviously all of them we've certainly talked about at one time or other, and they all seem to fit the Pats profile.

There's also a few who I've eliminated from consideration who are highly ranked, but as always, BB may have a different opinion on these players.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall of the Pats War Room. :eek: :confused: :( :rocker:

King says that he spoke with a personel guy whom he trusts very much and states his team gave "only 18 players first-round grades in its recently concluded draft meetings."

If that is true, this is the ideal draft to trade one of the 1st round picks for a 2nd and something high in the future.

Also, just about every player this side of CJ has major questions.

MMQB

That's what I was saying the other day. I think there's about 17-18 players who actually have first round talent in this draft. I believe someone else said 20 and others have been giving simular numbers, so we seem to have a consensus here.

sebman2112 said:
There does seem to be a little drop off after the top 17-18 guys.

Last edited:
...this is the ideal draft to trade one of the 1st round picks for a 2nd and something high in the future.
trading down implies someone else is seeing first round value and is moving up to get it. If 18 is the magic number, then the issue isn't a first round grade, it's value for the Patriots' system. Those second rounders should be examined not for their ranking, but for what they bring to the Pats.

I suppose attitude could be the difference, but in interviews with Jarrett he actually projects less humility and character than Williams did.

I think Jarrett's going to be the next great overpaid red zone threat.

I agree. I don't want Jarrett at 24 or 28. We need defense with those picks.

I'd rather take a 6th/7th-round flyer on David Ball, Syvelle Newton, or Joel Filani.

Jarrett had 3 really productive years.

I wouldn't count on BB having too many he'd want at #24. At #28 though -- that's a different story. FWIW, on my board, I only have 4 serious candidates for that #24 slot. At #28, I have another 7 legitimate prospects. I have another 6 who would be considered by some as reaches from round two.

Do you mean to tell me you have seven prospects whose value is between #25 and #28 on your board? I would think that if you have a prospect rated as #28-worthy, he'd also be #24-worthy.

Jarrett had 3 really productive years.

I stand corrected. At least two really productive, and one fairly productive. It's odd that I can't think of a single play he made prior to this year.

I don't understand how this got to be about Jarrett, who the Pats need like they need Brady Quinn.

There is no denying that Peter King is acknowledging what most others have yet to hint about and that is this draft sucks. From where the Pats are currently picking, they are going to get two expensive question marks that would be better picked in the second or third round. Unfortunately the Pats don't have a second round pick, so they will be using the 28th pick as if it was their second rounder and pick they player they would had wanted in the second round.

Essentially, the Pats have two second round picks that happen to be the bottom on the first round. BUT they will pay them first round money.

I give first round grades to Russell, Quinn, Adrian Peterson, Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, Alan Branch, Gaines Adams, Patrick Willis, Leon Hall and LeRon Landry. The QBs usually get higher grades because of demand, but at the same time, I think both are as talented as any to hit the NFL in the last 3 years.

I would think that if you have a prospect rated as #28-worthy, he'd also be #24-worthy.

This is why you would have your own board and I would have mine. :)

My #24-worthy may include those in the top 20 (or not). My #28-worthy may include those closer to round two, than those closer to #24 -- as you're suggesting. I sure hope you're respecting a to-each-his-own philosophy.

I do. B-U-S-T!

Don't forget guys, say we trade # 28 to get a 2nd and 3rd rounder, well you also have to take into account that you lose a year in the rookie contract. I think the 28th pick's 5th year at a rookie salary is worth way more then you guys are giving it credit for. I expect Belichick to keep a VERY close eye on trades that involve extra years for the Rookie contracts. While I don't know if I could put a value to it, I think the 28th pick is worth more then 33rd pick and a late 3rd because of this difference.

this draft having about only 17-18 players with first round talent makes it harder to clearly identify who NE should pick. Last year I had Maroney, Jackson, Carpenter, and Marshall as my four horses and didn't really go away from them at all.

NE might just try and trade away one of their first rounders for a 2008 first rounder, and a 2007 second or third. Really, I like some of the guy's who should be around for 24-28, but I don't feel the same about them, as I did Maroney, Jackson, Carpenter, and Marshall.

Justin Harrell might be one of their main options, if they keep both first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes