PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King's MMQB column...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again........

What players?

You keep harping on this idea that there had to be a deal already needed? They've since hosted shawn springs, they might be talks about peppers, they might be talks with other teams about other trades. But if they don't have the money, those talks are basically "we'd love to do that, get back to you in a few days when the trade might no longer be there."

They were hamstrung, they freed themselves, and no "rumors" of what they missed out on changes that.

You keep harping on this idea that there had to be a deal already needed? They've since hosted shawn springs, they might be talks about peppers, they might be talks with other teams about other trades. But if they don't have the money, those talks are basically "we'd love to do that, get back to you in a few days when the trade might no longer be there."

They were hamstrung, they freed themselves, and no "rumors" of what they missed out on changes that.

No, I keep pointing out the obvious and people like yourself keep ignoring it. The roster bonus wasn't due until today. The deal was already 'done' by about 2pm on Friday. The deal clearly did not need to be done as quickly as it was in order to accomplish what the team has accomplished to date and, by doing it as quickly as it was done, the Patriots passed on the opportunity to get more value in return.

No, I keep pointing out the obvious and people like yourself keep ignoring it. The roster bonus wasn't due until today. The deal was already 'done' by about 2pm on Friday. The deal clearly did not need to be done as quickly as it was in order to accomplish what the team has accomplished to date and, by doing it as quickly as it was done, the Patriots passed on the opportunity to get more value in return.

You're operating on assumptions, just like the rest of us. You assume that the reports you hear are 100% accurate, even though they are completely unconfirmed. What if the other offers that came in (better picks, more picks, etc) were completely contingent on Cassel signing along term deal before the trade went through. Then the negotiations WOULD have gone on past the roster bonus due date.

Also, we have no idea if the other teams would have wanted Vrabel in the deal, which means he would have been cut and free to go to any division rival he likes, with ALL the knowledge he has of the Patriots system. If it were another player, not as big a deal, but Vrabel is like a coach on the field. He's the kind of guy you can get some real gems from if you're an opposing team.

KC already has Pioli, so that's not a concern. There, that's two equally plausible scenarios that you don't want to consider. We're all being a little stubborn with our opinions, myself included. But you have to admit those are just as likely as anything you've presented.

You're operating on assumptions, just like the rest of us. You assume that the reports you hear are 100% accurate, even though they are completely unconfirmed. What if the other offers that came in (better picks, more picks, etc) were completely contingent on Cassel signing along term deal before the trade went through. Then the negotiations WOULD have gone on past the roster bonus due date.

Also, we have no idea if the other teams would have wanted Vrabel in the deal, which means he would have been cut and free to go to any division rival he likes, with ALL the knowledge he has of the Patriots system. If it were another player, not as big a deal, but Vrabel is like a coach on the field. He's the kind of guy you can get some real gems from if you're an opposing team.

KC already has Pioli, so that's not a concern. There, that's two equally plausible scenarios that you don't want to consider. We're all being a little stubborn with our opinions, myself included. But you have to admit those are just as likely as anything you've presented.

deus knows...........trust him.......he reads these things on his colon walls

Doesn't anyone else believe we haven't seen the totality of this trade just yet?

Sure we have completed terms of a public agreement, but I just don't think we've seen it all go down.

Let me just say this: "Intentional Safety".

I pointed to this once or twice and it isn't received very well. The Pats under BB & SP often pushed the NFL envelope. Them doing it now is a possibility I can't rule out.

deus knows...........trust him.......he reads these things on his colon walls

Please don't try to draw me into the feud you have going with him right now. I may not agree with him right now, but he hasn't taken a shot at me personally and I won't take one at him. Simple.

The deal clearly did not need to be done as quickly as it was in order to accomplish what the team has accomplished to date and, by doing it as quickly as it was done, the Patriots passed on the opportunity to get more value in return.

I'm sure they had their reasons. I think you should just "respect Belichick's views" on this "no matter how wrong his might be."

Last edited:
I'm sure they had their reasons. I think you should just "respect Belichick's views" on this "no matter how wrong his might be."

I have no problem with the deal, and have said so repeatedly. I'm just not buying some of the comments about this being the "best deal" and there having been no interest.

Bodden's not a Patriot.

But could he have been already if the Pats had had more wiggle room during his visit? Maybe, maybe not, but that could have been a catalyst for the move. They didn't want to let that happen again.

Just two things here:

1.) We don't know how Cassel would have approached that requirement, so I couldn't tell you.

2.) The roster bonus due date could have been moved with Vrabel's consent, just as Culpepper's was.

As for the rest, I'm just going to move on from it. Unless Pioli and Belichick are forced to take lie detector tests, we may never know the whole story. I think Belichick did his friend a solid, and I think the evidence is pretty clear. You disagree. Let's leave it at that and just enjoy our favorite NFL team having Brady under center and an extra pick in the 2nd round to play with.

Re: Peter King's MMQB Column..

Have contended all along that they did not want a top 5 pick, it would upset the salary structure of this team.. it is preposterous to pay the salaries that a top 5 would demand on an unproven player even though it is what the market demands.. it just does not seem to be the Patriot way.. someone pointed out on the draft board I believe, that the only way BB would want a top 5 pick if there was the second coming of Lawrence Taylor...

Definitely, with the added point that, even if someone IS the second coming of Lawrence Taylor, it's virtually impossible to know that before they've played in the NFL :p

And who says you have to draft a player at that spot if you get the pick? Having the #5 means you can trade down to whatever spot you want and get additional picks while you're at it.

Assuming that you can find someone willing to trade up. The general consensus in this draft is that the top-end talent isn't there to warrant trading into (and paying for) a top 5 pick. after Stafford, Curry, and the two top OTs, there are significant question marks about virtually everyone else. Take BJ Raji, for example, who could be an awesome 3-4 NT or could be Shaun Rogers 2.0 (lazy, fat malcontent who happens to be extremely talented).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes