PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King's guess on Pats punishment on HBO'S Inside The NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. The most likely punishment is a 2nd and a 5th, with addition of a fine and secret probation.
That's just a slight bit better than Double Secret Probation.

johnvernon.jpg

Suspend him for what ? Disobeying a rule ? If he had cheated, yes.

Anyway, as much as I'd hate to lose a #2, the Raiders' #3 is practically the same so we'd still be in excellent shape.

Yea suspend him for breaking rules. Ya know every rule is sacred. So the next say any coach says anything negative about the refs publicly, I think they should be suspended for the year. And anyone who doesn't tuck in their shirt, celebrates too much or breaks any other tiny little rule should be banned from the NFL.

Hey its the rules man we gotta be strict!

And unfortunately this is going to put a dagger in the legacy of Bill Belichick in many peoples eyes which is not right IMO but is unavoidable unless by some miracle BB is exonerated.
Why? How many people have an asterisk next tot he Bronco superbowl wins.

Re: Post #1. The league can't take the SF pick, only our own, just like when you give up a pick when signing an RFA, it must be your own pick.

Our pick was given us by the league. The SF pick was traded for, and is tied to other players.

Anyway, I doubt they will take a first round pick.

Well my thoughts Shmessy and all pats fans is that again BB thought this was allowed.
He's a very calculating preparation freak X and O's guy, you really believe that he would risk his namesake the players and more important the organization that he rebuilt from the ground up good name on a competitive advantage if he thought it wasn't somewhat legal?
I'm sure he knew it was a little on the borderline of legal you know drinking at 12.00 on your 21st birthday, buying a product when you know the price is wrong but it's a advantage to you.
I really think he ventured on what is legal and what's not and he has a good case built up to speak with Goodell where he can say look I respect your authority I respect this league hell I've been involved longer than you have but rule such and such explains that in this context seems perfectly applicable to use a recording device.
Then Goodell has to decide is BB's claim without merit or does he have a point that other people never really took a second look to find a loop hole cause if anyone would find any advantageous situation at all it would be Bill.
Trust me people if he does see the good old Mr. Goodell it's not gonna be with his head down mumbling throwing himself at the mercy of the great leader he's gonna have a gameplan and execute the best way he can, right after he concocts a masterful blueprint to beat our good old friends from the bay.

We can discuss the cap some other time, but we have plenty of cap room to sign 2 of the 3 wide receivers you mentioned at the existing contracts for Stallworth and Washington. There are no cap issues for 2008 or even for 2009. Losing a 2nd will in no way devastate the patriots. We have a full team already signed up for next year. We have the league's lowest number of rookies this year. There aren't many more spots next year. I would also note that we have a couple of this year's most promising draftees red-shirted (Lua and Richardson).

We are keeping Asante a year longer than his contract called for. We drafted Meriweather. We will Hobbs and Gay (and even Eddie Jackson and Chad Scott). We'll be fine.

If it's a first or second round pick I'll be devastated I don't see how throwing rocks at the throne is gonna fix what BB interpreted a loophole in the rule book.
BB is smarter then every coach in the league I feel safe saying that and if BB used cameras it's because he thought he could do it.
That high of a pick is ridiculous when the Broncos cheated the cap a very competitive disadvantage to all the other teams playing fair and only got slapped on the wrist with a 3rd rounder.

Us losing a first or second after essentially letting Assante walk after this season could be devastating especially with Moss, Stallworth, Washington all on 1 year contracts.

Well my thoughts Shmessy and all pats fans is that again BB thought this was allowed.
He's a very calculating preparation freak X and O's guy, you really believe that he would risk his namesake the players and more important the organization that he rebuilt from the ground up good name on a competitive advantage if he thought it wasn't somewhat legal?
I'm sure he knew it was a little on the borderline of legal you know drinking at 12.00 on your 21st birthday, buying a product when you know the price is wrong but it's a advantage to you.
I really think he ventured on what is legal and what's not and he has a good case built up to speak with Goodell where he can say look I respect your authority I respect this league hell I've been involved longer than you have but rule such and such explains that in this context seems perfectly applicable to use a recording device.
Then Goodell has to decide is BB's claim without merit or does he have a point that other people never really took a second look to find a loop hole cause if anyone would find any advantageous situation at all it would be Bill.
Trust me people if he does see the good old Mr. Goodell it's not gonna be with his head down mumbling throwing himself at the mercy of the great leader he's gonna have a gameplan and execute the best way he can, right after he concocts a masterful blueprint to beat our good old friends from the bay.

The exact reason why yesterday I posted a thread that said something was fishy about this whole thing. Why would BB have this guy standing out there exposed on the sideline wearing Patriot staff clothing? It almost seems intentional.

Maybe and I'm just completely brainstorming here maybe BB wanted to have Tom and the new receivers have some confidence and a dominating performance right out of the starting gate.

You know get Tom excited get Randy pumped get all the guys saying wow we don't need years to get in the swing of things here were on point right now.

Maybe he figured the risk wasn't as valuable as a confident happy and pumped offense this season.

Just a thought go ahead rip it to shreds call me a idiot say it's ridiculous any comment will suffice positive or negative.

The exact reason why yesterday I posted a thread that said something was fishy about this whole thing. Why would BB have this guy standing out there exposed on the sideline wearing Patriot staff clothing? It almost seems intentional.

I really think it goes back to the miami fiasco. And he's more trying to prove a point that the rules have double standards. A rule to prevent an unfair advantage makes no sense when something that provides a MUCH larger unfair advantage is 100% legal and was done to BB and the pats.

Maybe and I'm just completely brainstorming here maybe BB wanted to have Tom and the new receivers have some confidence and a dominating performance right out of the starting gate.

You know get Tom excited get Randy pumped get all the guys saying wow we don't need years to get in the swing of things here were on point right now.

Maybe he figured the risk wasn't as valuable as a confident happy and pumped offense this season.

Just a thought go ahead rip it to shreds call me a idiot say it's ridiculous any comment will suffice positive or negative.

Quite unlikely IMO though possible. However Brady's perfect pass to Moss blowing by 3 defenders wouldn't come into play by knowing the defensive signals :D

Last edited:

The taping had, and never would have even before the confiscation, no effect on Sunday's game . . . so, yes, it's ridiculous :)

OK, I'll stop using the word cheating if you will. Belichick a large accumulated record of pi$$ing off Kraft's hand-picked Commissioner. Disobeying and making fun of NFL rules is a Belichick specialty. Yes, I think that the Commissioner could suspend Belichick for a couple of games for breaking the rules. Why should the team and owner be punished, with no punishment for Belichick?

Suspend him for what ? Disobeying a rule ? If he had cheated, yes.

Anyway, as much as I'd hate to lose a #2, the Raiders' #3 is practically the same so we'd still be in excellent shape.

I'd fight it too. At the very most, Belichick didn't obey the rule on where video cameras are allowed to be used. That's it. There is nothing else (unless there's more that's not been reported which is unlikely given the level of scrutiny).

The Pats should be very aggressive if they get the sense Goodell is going to come down hard on them. Unlike Michael Vick and Pacman Jones, they have some issues to appeal and/or the braintrust to do it. They must have a right to appeal to some kind of arbitrator. There is enough junk out there (everyone does it in some form, it did not affect the outcome of the game, all they did was have an illegal camera on the field, the rule is fuzzy and could be interpretted differently by different people) that they could make Roger (and hence the whole NFL) look bad if he's too hard on them and then gets overturned on appeal.

OK, I'll stop using the word cheating if you will. Belichick a large accumulated record of pi$$ing off Kraft's hand-picked Commissioner. Disobeying and making fun of NFL rules is a Belichick specialty. Yes, I think that the Commissioner could suspend Belichick for a couple of games for breaking the rules. Why should the team and owner be punished, with no punishment for Belichick?

I think Belichick should be the one fined potentially a half a season of game checks. I just don't know if suspending him will do anything. How can they enforce stopping him from being involved in gameplanning. Many things are already delegated anyway from practice to gameplanning. The only thing that a suspension really does is keeps him out of practices, meetings, and off the sideline in games. He can still easily be actively involved in the gameplan.

When Denver cheated and played games with the cap, it was the team that was fined a million dollars not the GM at the time. It is the way the NFL is run.

A few things:

1. It won't be a first round pick. Clayton and Salisbury mentioned that the league would never take away a first round pick, because it would reduce the number of first rounders and thus the numbe rof players receiving first round money, which would bring the union into this.

2. You can say that this is just semantics, but no one from the league, or from the Patriots in the organization's defense, has mentioned anything about cheating. Only the talking heads have used that word in connection with the story. The incident has always been framed as simply "a violation of league rules." If they believed it was cheating, you would hear more language from the league about an unfair competitive advantage, which still has only been said by the talking heads. I don't think anyone could believe that this taping, especially because the tape was seized/stopped before it could get into the locker room at halftime, affecte dthe outcome of this particular game. For this reason I dont think Goodell will come down with all his might.

3. Kraft is the most powerful owner in the league, and judging by his strong statements Tuesday, I don't think he sees this the way the media is painting it. For this reason I dont think the punishment will be severe, because even if it is, I think Kraft will fight it.

4. I probably shouldn't have buried this all the way down here, but I really, really REALLY hope that Goodell pursues tampering cases from now on. If the "everybody is doing it" excuse doesn't work for the videotaping of signals, it should no longer work for tampering. Kraft has asked for investigations into The Redskins and Jets organizations involvement in tampering with players, one charge that was made while Goodell was commissioner (I believe). I am sure that Kraft will bring that up in any discussions with Goodell.

but many pats fans do this same thing to their rivals

that is just 100% fact

Dude, we get it--many fans are hypocrites.

However, some of us are trying to discuss the matter at hand...and some of us also do not have a habit of throwing stones, since we know all too well that our huts are glass.

No chance of suspension........... unless Kraft dictates......

Goodell hates the positions the JETS put him in (by going public on Jetsinsider.com), and will go harsh with MEANINGLESS picks next year.

A huge fine for sure.............. but I'm sure that Kraft has already told him........ don't mess with the season in progress, not over this issue.

Goodell, who is a lapdog in the end, will oblige (as he should). This incident is NOT WORTH effecting the outcome of the season. NO WAY.

What he should do is penalize the Jets for leaking League Office information to the media, give the Pats a slap on the wrist and issue a stern warning to the league about future violations.

:rolleyes:

The Pats and the entire league have already been warned about this. You don't just keep issuing warnings as a method of deterrence.

"1. Page 105 of the Game Operations manual says: "No video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game." It later says: "All video shooting locations must be enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."

2. And, a memo from Ray Anderson, NFL head of football operations, to head coaches and GMs on Sept. 6, 2006 said: "Video taping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent’s offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches’ booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

I don't see how we talk ourselves out of the bolded parts. Although if someone can explain it I would love to hear it :)

If BB says he interprets the policy differently than what Godell and his people do than I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he did what he did believing full well that he wasn't doing anything wrong.

A suspension will mean that Belichick won't get paid. Kraft will not object.

I think Belichick should be the one fined potentially a half a season of game checks. I just don't know if suspending him will do anything. How can they enforce stopping him from being involved in gameplanning. Many things are already delegated anyway from practice to gameplanning. The only thing that a suspension really does is keeps him out of practices, meetings, and off the sideline in games. He can still easily be actively involved in the gameplan.

When Denver cheated and played games with the cap, it was the team that was fined a million dollars not the GM at the time. It is the way the NFL is run.

I really think it goes back to the miami fiasco. And he's more trying to prove a point that the rules have double standards. A rule to prevent an unfair advantage makes no sense when something that provides a MUCH larger unfair advantage is 100% legal and was done to BB and the pats.

The problem with this approach by BB is that there is a new sheriff in town and he may say "I'm going to throw the book at you anyway, cowboy."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes