PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King Wow! Where do I begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, his MMQB has a whole article on Spygate basically saying that Belichick's reputation is tarnished for ever and we won't even make the playoffs before the season starts. But there are two things in his "Ten thing I think I think" section that just blew me away with his stupidity:

3. I think, by the way, I don't fault Specter for yelling about wanting to keep football pure. There's never anything wrong with a good watchdog, particularly a 78-year-old one fighting cancer and undergoing chemotherapy. And though I think he's barking up the wrong tree about football possibly not being on the level, it's good that the NFL knows there's somebody in Washington looking at the league with a jaundiced eye. Keeps 'em honest.

Sure along as it benefits his Eagles or Comcast, he will be a good watchdog. The second the Eagles get caught cheating, Arlen won't be picking up his phone.

9. I think I give credit to John Tomase for standing up and admitting a grievous error, the misreporting of the story on the videotaping of the Rams' practice before the Super Bowl six years ago. When you write the story of your life, and it's wrong, you've got to stand up and throw yourself on the mercy of the press and the public.

The guy set sports reporting back decades by reporting a rumor as fact and gets burned. He is blasted by everyone in the country and fears a lawsuit from the Pats. And King thinks it is heroic what he did? Really?!?

Instead of getting suspended, he issues an apology that didn't even include an actual apology until he added an adendum after getting blasted even more.

I look at Tomase's apology as saving his arse. I am disapointed in King for giving Tomase any credit since what he did originally is the equivalent of cheating since he wrote a damaging story without any real facts. As a journalist, King should be outraged at Tomase.

I have lost all respect for Peter King.

Ok, his MMQB has a whole article on Spygate basically saying that Belichick's reputation is tarnished for ever and we won't even make the playoffs before the season starts. But there are two things in his "Ten thing I think I think" section that just blew me away with his stupidity:

Sure along as it benefits his Eagles or Comcast, he will be a good watchdog. The second the Eagles get caught cheating, Arlen won't be picking up his phone.

The guy set sports reporting back decades by reporting a rumor as fact and gets burned. He is blasted by everyone in the country and fears a lawsuit from the Pats. And King thinks it is heroic what he did? Really?!?

Instead of getting suspended, he issues an apology that didn't even include an actual apology until he added an adendum after getting blasted even more.

I look at Tomase's apology as saving his arse. I am disapointed in King for giving Tomase any credit since what he did originally is the equivalent of cheating since he wrote a damaging story without any real facts. As a journalist, King should be outraged at Tomase.

I have lost all respect for Peter King.

Exactly what is SO HORRIBLE about this article? I understand that a lot of the media has screwed with the pats, but Belichick did in fact make a mistake. Even if the media reported on this story in the best way possible, Belichicks rep would have some tarnish on it. Let's not forget that the pats did ignore a memo, and they did break a rule. I know it was not as big a deal as everyoen made it out to be, but it happened.

Last edited:
Could not agree more. Well said. What I want to know is when will Peter King stop writing about Spygate. To me he seems obsessed. Why hasnt he written on the potential murder attempt that for all we know could have been committed by a hall of fame WR, Marvin Harrison. I dont hear anything about that for Peter.

I do not know if it will happen, perhaps some of you can shed more light on this, but I really do hope the Pats stick it to the Herald and avoid speaking to their reporters, etc. Do you think there will be repurcussion from the Pats to the Herald?

As for Peter King, he needs to move on!

Exactly what is SO HORRIBLE about this article? I understand that a lot of the media has screwed with the pats, but Belichick did in fact make a mistake. Even if the media reported on this story in the best way possible, Belichicks rep would have some tarnish on it. Let's not forget that the pats did ignore a memo, and they did break a rule. I know it was not as big a deal as everyoen made it out to be, but it happened.

Praising Specter who wears his agenda on his sleeve? Outstanding journalism.

Praising Tomase for apologizing for breaking one of the most important journalistic codes? Should win win King a Pulitzer.

I'm sorry I am wrong. King is absolutely right to congratulate Specter for watching out for the best interests of Comcast in the NFL and Tomase for getting caught making up a story that will do irreparable damage to the Patriots reputations because as long as you say sorry everything is ok.

That memo has no legal bearing if it was challenged in a court of law. Also, the league chose to NOT correct the Bylaws & Constitution, thereby leaving itself open to misinterpretation. But all that is nothing. The whole foundation of "Spygate" was that the Patriots somehow gained an unfair advantage by using the tape DURING THE SAME GAME IN WHICH THEY WERE PLAYING. That whole allegation has been proven false.

I have a newsflash for you. ALL TEAMS break the rules. Whether its uniform fines or doing other things, all teams do it. Much of it goes unreported because the teams pay a minor fine and life goes on. Realty is that Goodell over-reacted with his punishment against the Patriots and created much of this firestorm. Had it been handled properly, all we'd have known is that the Pats got caught making a minor infraction. And yes, it was MINOR.

Praising Specter who wears his agenda on his sleeve? Outstanding journalism.

Praising Tomase for apologizing for breaking one of the most important journalistic codes? Should win win King a Pulitzer.

I'm sorry I am wrong. King is absolutely right to congratulate Specter for watching out for the best interests of Comcast in the NFL and Tomase for getting caught making up a story that will do irreparable damage to the Patriots reputations because as long as you say sorry everything is ok.

King says Spector is barking up the wrong tree, and talks about how Tomase made a huge mistake but he admires his courage - ( for stepping up, and making no excuses for his mistake). Considering what most "journalists" are writing, I dont think this article was that bad. Sh*t, king even talks about how Spector is 78 years old - ( Imo gently mocking Spector as an old kook).

However, I am in the camp that thinks we pats fans tend to go a bit far when searching the net for ANYTHING that can be considered anti - pats.

Last edited:
That memo has no legal bearing if it was challenged in a court of law. Also, the league chose to NOT correct the Bylaws & Constitution, thereby leaving itself open to misinterpretation. But all that is nothing. The whole foundation of "Spygate" was that the Patriots somehow gained an unfair advantage by using the tape DURING THE SAME GAME IN WHICH THEY WERE PLAYING. That whole allegation has been proven false.

I have a newsflash for you. ALL TEAMS break the rules. Whether its uniform fines or doing other things, all teams do it. Much of it goes unreported because the teams pay a minor fine and life goes on. Realty is that Goodell over-reacted with his punishment against the Patriots and created much of this firestorm. Had it been handled properly, all we'd have known is that the Pats got caught making a minor infraction. And yes, it was MINOR.

I agree, just saying - their was going to be a little tarnish no matter what. Serious question, why do you talk down to everyone?

Last edited:
King says Spector is barking up the wrong tree, and talks about how Tomase made a huge mistake but he admires his courage - ( for stepping up,and making no excuses for his mistake). Considering what most journalists are writing, I dont think this article was that bad. Sh*t, king even talks about how Spector is 78 years old - ( Imo gently mocking Spector as an old kook).

However, I am in the camp that thinks we pats fans tend to go a bit far when searching the net for ANYTHING that can be considered anti - pats.

Did you see me complain about what was written in the lead article (although stating that the Patriots are already tired and implying that they don't have a chance this season seems to me being a bit of piling on when you just blasted Belichick for about 1500 words)?

As for searching on the web for any considered anti-Patriots, Peter King's MMQB is one of the most read weekly articles on the web.

Yes, King did say Specter is barking up the wrong tree, but that further emphasizes the fact that Specter's motives are questionable and he may not have the best interest of the league and fans in mind when he speaks. King is smart enough to know about it.

As for Tomase, would King had praised Belichick if he admitted he cheated and he was wrong? He obviously doesn't believe Belichick's explaination. But I doubt if Belichick came out and said he cheated, he knew, he cheated, and he is sorry that he would give Belichick the same credit. Tomase cheated and in the journalism world what he did is worse than what Belichick did. He got his back against a wall and was forced to apologize (some including Michael Holley think it was part of agreement with the Patriots not to sue him).

It's funny how his first point in "Ten Things I Think I Think" is about George Martin and his walk across the country to raise money for the surviving rescue workers of 9/11 followed by how he thinks Arlen Specter's crusade against Spygate is a good thing. King is urging his readers to donate hard earned money followed by a pat-on-the-back for a US senator wasting tax dollars to investigate a football game. It's an interesting juxtaposition, no?

That said, beyond the continuing inability of King to recognize that Belichick's actions were and have been dictated by the "during a game" interpretation (if he realized this, it would answer some of the questions King still has and particularly the one Bob Ryan proposed), King is entitled to an opinion and he states nothing in there that is terribly inaccurate. He says Belichick's reputation has been tarnished - and it is (rightfully or not).

This just in: Peter King is still a fat d-bag who doesn't know anything about the game of football.

Oh, and just for clarification, Goodell never said he thought Belichick was being dishonest when BB said he misinterpreted the rule, Goodell only said that Belichick's misinterpretation was just that - a misinterpretation. I love the absurd leap that these mediots are making that Goodell was calling BB a liar. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
And I have a newsflash for you. The patriots were punished for breaking NFL rules. Belichick was fined. That fined was the highest ever levied on a coach. Other legal practices to gain advantage were brought to light. The original punishment was judged to be correct and sufficient. Belichick will be the coach with record for the largest fine until someone else beats the record. This fine will follow Belichick always, even though he paid it out of pocket chenge.

The fact that most patriot fans and posters still think that Belichick and the patriots did nothing wrong is rather beside the point.

Should King really not cover this issue that the Commisioner's office was reviewing until last week, and a senator is reviewing?

I found nothing objectionable or out of the ordinary in King's article.

BTW, your speculations are just that. Of course Specter wouldn't have cared if the Eagles were caught cheating. So what. King said that Specter was wrong. Also, I think the media would have supported Belichick if he game out a admitted what was done and showed remorse. In the end, it is Belichick's sticking it to the league and the jets (and being proud of it) that brought us to where we are today. The long term effect is minimal. We lost a draft choice.

And I have a newsflash for you. The patriots were punished for breaking NFL rules. Belichick was fined. That fined was the highest ever levied on a coach. Other legal practices to gain advantage were brought to light. The original punishment was judged to be correct and sufficient. Belichick will be the coach with record for the largest fine until someone else beats the record. This fine will follow Belichick always, even though he paid it out of pocket chenge.

The fact that most patriot fans and posters still think that Belichick and the patriots did nothing wrong is rather beside the point.

Should King really not cover this issue that the Commisioner's office was reviewing until last week, and a senator is reviewing?

I found nothing objectionable or out of the ordinary in King's article.

BTW, your speculations are just that. Of course Specter wouldn't have cared if the Eagles were caught cheating. So what. King said that Specter was wrong. Also, I think the media would have supported Belichick if he game out a admitted what was done and showed remorse. In the end, it is Belichick's sticking it to the league and the jets (and being proud of it) that brought us to where we are today. The long term effect is minimal. We lost a draft choice.

How is this any better than DaBruinz's speculation?

How is the loss of a first round draft pick minimal? What if that player turned into another Logan Mankins? Is the loss of Logan Mankins for five years at the least a minimal loss?

Why is it so many homers lose respect for a guy thats a pretty good columnist like Peter King when he says something bad about the Patriots but when he says a negative thing like for instance against the Colts or Dolphins ect: than its interesting and informative?

As long as you talk good about the Patriots you are a good journalist,If you think something is bad with the organization and you print it , then at Patsfans.com you are lousy at your profession :rolleyes: -

Come on guys stop being so pathetic and obnoxiously homeristic and agree that all sports columnists are not going to agree with everything your little Patriots mind thinks - Grow the fu(k up

I may not agree with some of what he has written but that does not mean he is now a horrible writer :rolleyes:

Sometimes this forum goes beyond obnoxious ranting.....

And NO ONE in here could be more of a Patriots maniac than me when it comes to rooting for this team ,but I could care less what others think,In fact sometimes those negative articles are quite entertaining.

Last edited:
>>>This year, the Patriots have a September bye, then play 13 straight weeks, including three trips to California, one to Seattle and one to Indianapolis. They play four night games -- it's likely at least one more will be moved to accommodate NBC's flex schedule -- and a short-week Thursday game against their old friends from Long Island. The Patriots showed great poise on the field under duress last year. It'll be even tougher to do this year.<<<<<

1) Ugh Pete if they stay on the west coast between games, it's only two trips cross country compared to say 4 for the Jets......

2) This may be slightly off topic but how does he write an entire column about spygate and talk about integrity of the game and never mention baseball and 104 positive steroid tests that the Feds are now investigating???? I haven't heard Senator Specter or too many of the same people who vilified the Pats complaining about the integrity of the game.....

Come on guys stop being so pathetic and obnoxiously homeristic and agree that all sports columnists are not going to agree with everything your little Patriots mind thinks - Grow the fu(k up

I may not agree with some of what he has written but that does not mean he is now a horrible writer :rolleyes:

Yeah, he has been lazy and irrelevant for some time, not "horrible."

Peter King is pi$$ed BB gave the "Big Interview" to Armen Keteyian, and not to Peter King. That is the only info I gleaned from his latest embarrassing column. Nothing more to see there.

BTW, excuse us if we don't feel like wearing sack cloth and seeking penitence for the "sins" of the Pats head coach, which is what the high priests of SPORT seem to want...

Guess what? The "morality play" you constructed around the Nixon myth went bust. Move along.

Ok, his MMQB has a whole article on Spygate basically saying that Belichick's reputation is tarnished for ever and we won't even make the playoffs before the season starts.

I keep asking...why hasn't the images of the 49ers coach been tarnished. Or the Broncos???? Why hasn't there been calls for a congressional investigation into salary cap violations? They have a real impact on every game played. A real competitive advantage.

It's this hypocrisy that drives me crazy.

:enranged:

Of course Specter wouldn't have cared if the Eagles were caught cheating. So what. King said that Specter was wrong.

No! King praised Specter for being a watchdog in Washington eventhough he was wrong. But it isn't like Specter is looking out for the best interest of the NFL and their fans. He is looking out for the best interest for him. That is why he will get involved in a CBA grievance claim when the outcome brings Terrell Owens to Philadephia, but falls silent when Terrell Suggs or Deion Branch file CBA grievance claims.

I didn't have a problem with his main article although I didn't agree. But his comments about Specter and Tomase are moronic at best.

Again here our some facts

FACT- Belichick broke the rule, he paid the fine, and will be ever associated with it...

FACT- The Pats, did not tape a walkthrough, and its safe to assume that all the game that were taped not used in a game..

FACT - Peter King is grossly overated now as a NFL beat writer, that his comments dont desrve any attention..

Peter King...where do I begin?

Can we start off with playing the "Taps", followed by some bagpipes....

Peter King is dead.

(figuratively speaking)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye