Welcome to PatsFans.com

Peter King: The Pats are in the Catbird Seat at pick # 33

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Rob0729, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +706 / 5 / -3

From his MMQB:

Read more: Carolina Panthers request junior college tape on Cam Newton - Peter King - SI.com
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  2. Spiral

Spiral PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -0

From last week's thread on Mc Shay's ESPN 3-round mock:

If McShay has 2 QBs going at 34 and 35, the Patriots will end up trading 33. If you're interested in a QB early in the 2nd, you're probably going to give Bill a call, since there will be other teams in the same position as you, and you know that 33 would definitely be for sale, and probably going to a team that wants a certain qb.

Now the idea of trading #33 isn't exactly news, but....
  3. bucky

bucky Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Steelers, Bears, and Falcons don't trade very often and the Jets only like to trade up, not down. So that leaves 26, 28, 32 and 33 as the likeliest spots for teams to try to move into. IMO, 26 and 28 will be hot for teams seeking OL and DL. 32 and 33 will be the QB spots. I can see the Pats moving up from 17, then down from 28 and 33.
  4. BlueThunder

BlueThunder PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

Agree they move up from 17 if the guy BB really really wants is within reach...

Probably moves down with either 28 or 33.....recoups lost pick from moving up. Not sure he moves down with both 28 and 33 tho.....

BB only needs 2 or 3 impact players out of the top 6 picks....I'd be very pleased with a stud OL and DL in first 3 picks.....

Somehow fix the pass rush problem that has hurt them the past 2 seasons.
  5. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +231 / 1 / -0

This is what I'm predicting. They're not going to pick at 17, 28, or 33.
  6. signbabybrady

signbabybrady On the Roster

Ratings:
    +163 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

I think the idea that the first pick in a round that starts on a new day is so highly coveted is a little off base.

Sure there is more time to end up making a deal but that doesnt mean a QB hungry team doesnt recognize that and just trade for 32 and not wait the day.

IMO I hope BB uses the 17,28, and 33 on players who can actually help this team ASAP and not more Draft picks but with that said I am a big fan of BBs approach to the draft as he always has ammo and always seems to have overstocked with picks. He seems to target his guys and get them and pick up extra picks for it whats not to like. That being said I think this is a draft where he can do both. Due to the high number of young kids that stuck the last few years the need for 6 more young kids is not high so you can move up with some picks to ensure the impact player and you can trade others to stock next years shelves. My plan would be to use 17 pretty much where it is, Trade up a decent amount with 33 into the first and come out with 3 first rounders (I would love to get Ingram, Kerrigan or another OLB, and Pouncy) then use the other 2 or combinations of the 3s to stock up next years draft with some extra 2s.

Basically lets draft 3 first rounders this year and load up on next years 2nd rounders. Using what ever else is left this year to suplement the top 3.
  7. Gwedd

Gwedd PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#61 Jersey

Agreed. The only reason I see the Patriots NOT trying to move up is if the player they want falls down the chart, OR Bill works one of his trades to get someone big time, like he did with Moss. I still thinnk there's going to be a major trade with the Patriots during the draft.
  8. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -13

#12 Jersey

Agreed. #33 may be worth a LITTLE more than if the first day still had 2 rounds, but only a little.
  9. patsfaninpittsburgh

patsfaninpittsburgh Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Hopefully, the QB run would negate losing any picks. With a unique need, throw out convention.

How about trading with Washington 10/their second for 17 and 28? Granted the points say the Redskins wouldn't do it. However, with so many needs, they get a quality player at 17 and front load the expected QB run.

So many variables. You almost wonder if the league sets this up to generate viewing.
  10. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Peter King, always a front runner in groundbreaking analysis.
  11. townes

townes Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think it depends upon the draft but this year I agree with King that it has alot of value andd the Patriots will maximize that value, most likely for another first next year.
  12. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -13

#12 Jersey

I've been saying for a while that it could be cool to trade #28 and #33 for a pick in the low teens, to a team that wants to trade down and stockpile picks -- because those would be great spots from which they could trade down further.

Problem -- holding #12 & #17, say, might not be so great from the standpoint of matching value and team needs. Who's going to be worth a low-teens pick except a DE (Jordan or Watt, depending on how you rate them)? If we take one of them, what's worth doing with #17?

So now I think that a move up to the low teens is #17 + #28 for a 1st & a 2nd.

An OLB prospect worth taking in the top 17 could change that analysis, however. Ditto if Ingram really IS judged to be the next Emmitt Smith.
  13. signbabybrady

Ratings:
    +163 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

I was thinking get the DL/OLB at 17 and trade up with 33 into early twenties and make 2 choices in the twenties OL and Ingram if he is there or OL and OL if he is not.
  14. Froob

Froob Rookie

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -3

#32 Jersey

What are the chances the pats make the pick at 33? .000001%? Hope they get something good. I hope CBA somehow gets done in time. Would be cool to get a player too.
  15. bucky

bucky Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He must have been caught up in a longer than usual line at Starbucks....and started thinking. :bricks:
  16. RhodyPatriot

RhodyPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 12 / -5

Bill Belichick better be scouting a pass rusher or two from that catbird seat. :D
  17. NewFeep

NewFeep Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I'm right there with ya on this sentiment, Sciz.... I'll be shocked if BB actually selects a player in any of these slots.

FWIW: small trade up from 17, then 2 trades back from 28 & 33 is what I am anticipating. Watch BB pull a mind-scramble on us now........
  18. signbabybrady

Ratings:
    +163 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

what do the odds translate on that percentage because I will take that bet?
  19. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Bucky and the Peter King chorus
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.