PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King shows what I hate about the media's Manning/Brady Hypocrisy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rob, if a crazy ****er like me tells you you're crazy, you crazy. Please stop.

Although honestly I like the heads up on all the negativity without actually having to listen to it. So also keep it up!

Well, on your advice I have decided to stop reading and listening to the media on the Pats. But I will continue to give you detailed accounts of the stuff I am not reading or listening to. That is the value add I provide.

Ah, not missing the Globe football coverage when I'm in Europe, except ... I used to play Shank Bingo. How many sentences into his story ostensibly about football could he get before throwing in a reference to baseball?
I also always loved his use of a parenthetical "gulp" (gulp) to emphasize a point. What a hack...

Ok, I accidentally stopped on Felger and Mazz and now Felger is saying the Pats cannot get long scoring drives anymore. He said the Pats only had one long TD drive vs. the Dolphins as if it is negative thing without stating the Pats scored on six of their ten drives. He points that the TD drives in NY and San Diego were all on short drives (ignoring that last drive yesterday probably would have been a long TD drive if the Pats tried to score).

Ok, time for the intervention guys.

How do you hide OL ... problems for 8 weeks? They are either problems or they're not.

We hid the O-line problem that arises from playing without Connolly by playing WITH Connolly!

If you are one to get worked up about stupidity in the media, don't listen to the replay of this morning's Mike&Mike. Chris Carter was a cornucopia of idiocy: Dominic Raiola is an honorable guy.......

HOLY CRAP! I heard that too today from him and almost had to pull off the highway!

Seriously, if you're going to to go on national radio, is it too much to ask to PREPARE to know something about the subject? I don't think Cris Carter knows who Dominic Raiola is.

Ok, I accidentally stopped on Felger and Mazz and now Felger is saying the Pats cannot get long scoring drives anymore. He said the Pats only had one long TD drive vs. the Dolphins as if it is negative thing without stating the Pats scored on six of their ten drives. He points that the TD drives in NY and San Diego were all on short drives (ignoring that last drive yesterday probably would have been a long TD drive if the Pats tried to score).

Ok, time for the intervention guys.

My favorite was when they breezed over the Brady - Edelman one-play drive that broke open the San Diego game, basically because it doesn't fit the theory that they can't drive the ball. Because, as you know, the more yards it takes to score a touchdown, the more bonus points you get.

I get their general point, but they had to breeze over a lot of complimentary football to get there. It's crazy the way that offense is judged - plenty of people dismiss scoring drives off of short fields (whether through defensive stops or special teams play) as if those short fields were gimmes. Hard work and a lot of roster work goes into defense and special teams to make sure that when the offense faces a stout defense that the team still has a chance to win.

There's plenty to critique the offense on. Holding against them that special teams and defense have been great and giving them good position, and then that they have proven that they can score when given those opportunities, should not be one of those critiques.

Not the biggest PK fan but he does give insight on other teams that we don't follow closely.

No he doesn't. Don't confuse the words he write about other teams (or the Pats) with insight. He hasn't had an insight in years.

Well, on your advice I have decided to stop reading and listening to the media on the Pats. But I will continue to give you detailed accounts of the stuff I am not reading or listening to. That is the value add I provide.
That's much depreciated.

If you get worked up every time Peter King is a hypocrite, you'll never be happy. The man is a grade A hack and a mouthpiece for the NFL brass. He's second on my all time worst list next to Gregggg Easterbrook.

I agree, but I would not have King #2. He's not even top 10. Top 25, maybe.

Eh, of all the writers I think peter is the most fair across the board. But I agree you can't get upset over what these guys write, their job is to make it less boring and get people to read.
I would have added "national" before writer - and I think that is what you meant. With that, and my emphasis, I agree.

1) Fair? Please.
2) In addition, he's one of the literally least self-aware and stupidest writers out there.
3) On top of all that, he's a pretty disgusting person. Don't forget his column where he congratulated himself for stealing a foul ball or HR from a kid.

I emphasized the relevant word (relevant to me anyway).
I agree, he is a hack and is convinced I care about the Starbucks in the St. Louis airport. Saying he is fair than, say Pete Prisco, is true and not saying he is fair.

I would like to read Bedard on MMQB without giving Peter King traffic to his site. Any suggestions, please? In fact, the other writers on MMQB are pretty good. It's just the main MMQB article which sucks.

King also seems to be moving towards more videos, which annoys me even more. Lazy and irritating.

Getting back to the original point - Here's how guys like King work: King has a relationship with members of the Sports community. Guys like Peyton and before him, Favre, have kings number in their phone. They throw King some nice quotes, do the occasional interview, give him materials, etc. In turn, King posts some nice puff pieces about them, talks about all the things that don't actually matter or won't be disputed ("He's a standup guy!" "A real family man!" "He just wants to win!")

There are other guys, like Brady, who just do the required media tours, do some local stations/radio, beat writers, etc. and call it a day. They get mediocre coverage.

Then there are guys like Marshawn Lynch or Dez Bryant who actively say "screw this". Suddenly those guys are "a problem in the locker room" "have off the field issues". Guess what, they also happen to be in a contract year, and the quotes are coming from "unnamed sources within the organization". Why? Because they are driving down the contract price, and they are using Peter King to do it. And Peter King couldn't be happier, because he has something to report, and his readership gobbles it up between stories about the coffee he drank last night and the Starwood hotel he stayed at (seriously, why the hell does he bring that stuff up? Is that supposed to be interesting?)

NONE of this affects the product on the field, it's all just filler and page-views for a dying industry.

I know I would said I would stop reading his column, but I couldn't stop. This is from King's TMQB:

As I correctly predicted in my column yesterday, Cincinnati would stop the run and force Manning to throw and he would show the world that rumors of his demise were greatly exaggerated. That is exactly what happened. What we saw was a Peyton Manning who was poised in the pocket and made all the right throws with laser sharp precision. If it wasn't for his offensive line and his receivers letting him down, he would have easily thrown for over 600 yards and seven TDs. Even at 38, Manning is still playing like he is 30. Simply amazing.

From Peter King's MMQB column:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/22/a-repeat-possibility/3/

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/22/a-repeat-possibility/5/

This is just one example of the media. The Broncos offense struggles over multiple games and are forced to run the ball and they make excuses for Manning. The Pats offense has a really bad game with three starters out and it is now a cause for concern that good defense is going to shut down the Pats' offense in the playoffs. It was the same thing when it comes to Brady's struggles early in the season (he is declining) and Manning's struggles over the last month (he is putting making the Broncos offense better suited for the playoffs over his own personal stats).

EXACTLY! Well Said/Typed. So with that said Brady & Co. will continue to proove nah-sayers wrong ( who give'sa S_ _t anyway what others think/say) Bias from Mediots is nothing new.

what does that mean?

I was wondering the same thing.

I think THINK it has to do with the fact it was on the day the Pats lost to the Seahawks? As if to say you came here to bag on the Pats like a few other chicken littles?

I actually wondered if people might think the same thing about me. I joined after the Pats lost to the Jest in 2009 in Wreck's first game. I was so pissed off and surrounded by hostile fans (living in Virginia), that I tried to find a place of sanctuary to talk to other Pats fans.

I know I would said I would stop reading his column, but I couldn't stop. This is from King's TMQB:

That's just an unbelievable quote...I don't even know what to say. My incredulity has disarmed my wits...

EDIT - Is this a joke? I see no link. If I've been had, I tip my hat to you, sir.

After Tomase and the spygate nonsense, I stopped watching listening to most all the knuckleheads. 99% of what is said is for entertainment to piss people off to get clicks and articles. There are a small handful of people I will read, Reiss, Bruschi, and......hmmmm cant think of any off the top of my head. If you watch ESPN still dont know what to tell you cannot imagine why anyone would watch that trainwreck. Remember they get paid because you read it and click on it, and they want to get paid, so caveat emptor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back