PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King says if no tape, Kraft could sue Herald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever watched that fumble by Warner over. That was just a bone headed play by him. The Rams want to blame cheating when they basically fumbled or turned over that game. Go watch it again.

Piling On

A Jimmy Johnson said all teams did it at least the smart ones. Make them all forego a number one pick.

Better yet sue the nfl for telling us we can win in the regular season but cannot win in the superbowl or else.

I still love how he says there is a strong Anti-Patriots opinion. It is funny that all these teams are Anti-Patriots on this yet many of them have their own allegations of cheating in recent history like the 49ers and now the Browns with allegations of tampering, Denver accused of filming the Chargers' practice several years back, the Titans and Colts colluding for the outcome of the final game, etc.

I think a lot of people around the league are hypocritical here. There appears to be enough smoke that the Broncos illegally videotaped the Chargers' practice since there was a report that league officials saw the tap or that Fisher and Dungy colluded on plays in the final game since Kerry Collins admitted to it not realizing it was illegal. I love how everyone are looking down at the Patriots.

As for suing the Herald, I hope Kraft does. Although I don't think Tomase has done anything different than what a lot of other legitimate journalists do these days (see New York Times and ESPN on this story for examples), but publishing information that is not independently verified is very poor journalism at best. Hopefully Kraft will win big and will send a warning sign across the bow of a lot of news organization that rushing to be first to the story isn't always a good thing when you can't verify what you are publishing.

This is the crux of the situation. Not even the Patriots know if Walsh

taped the walk thru on his own without instructions from the Patriots

to do so. This is why he will be sued by the Patriots if the tape does,

in fact, exist.

There is also the possibility that a tape exists that was not taped by Walsh but acquired by him. Ordway was hinting at that last week, and how it would explain why the league talked to Rams management early on - perhaps to determine if anyone affiliated with them taped their practice. If that were the case the actual tape used could be a different brand, and if it were a dub that alone would bring it's origins into question.

I do believe that the Patriots have gone on record strongly enough to convince me that they had no knowledge of any taping, that they have reason to believe they could prove Walsh didn't tape anything and they know enough about Walsh to beileve they can impune his "testimony". Their problem remains that if he is allowed to spew it publicly they may never be able to overcome the perception that will immediately attach to anything he says based on a media spin geared to not let go of potential scandal.

There is also the possibility that a tape exists that was not taped by Walsh but acquired by him. Ordway was hinting at that last week, and how it would explain why the league talked to Rams management early on - perhaps to determine if anyone affiliated with them taped their practice. If that were the case the actual tape used could be a different brand, and if it were a dub that alone would bring it's origins into question.

I do believe that the Patriots have gone on record strongly enough to convince me that they had no knowledge of any taping, that they have reason to believe they could prove Walsh didn't tape anything and they know enough about Walsh to beileve they can impune his "testimony". Their problem remains that if he is allowed to spew it publicly they may never be able to overcome the perception that will immediately attach to anything he says based on a media spin geared to not let go of potential scandal.
I'm afraid that the reputation of the Patriots is irrevocably ruined.

As one of their original fans, it makes me very sad.

Re the OP topic:

There's really nothing new about spygate in this article. To say that it's unlikely that a tape actually exists, but that BB would be toast and the franchise would be in deep trouble if an SB XXXVI walkthrough tape exists isn't news, it's just stating the obvious (no one outside the Pats fanbase--i.e., us--would ever believe a pats claim that such a tape was "unauthorized"--and, for many of us it would be a big swallow).

As for a Kraft lawsuit, King has had one latte too many. The Kraft family would have to prove monetary damages--i.e., that the value of his franchise was diminished as a result. The only way to do that would be to try to sell the team and get offers that are below today's third party estimates of the value of the franchise and then convince a court that this was directly linked to the Herald article. Not likely in our lifetime.

Last edited:
He also said the "Rams, as it turned out, struggled mightily inside the 20 in that game.

Apparantly one TD in one possession inside the red zone now is "struggling mightily."

He must have received a lot of response about this, I dont see it in the article...

Re King's comments on Asante in the thread topic article

His suggestion that Asante's payday might not be as high as Samuel is expecting were brutal...and, to me, accurate, especially when he cites his play in the SB: "I've been a Samuel guy for the last couple of years, because he's a fearless competitor, but his play late last season, particularly when the Patriots couldn't generate a consistent pass-rush on Eli Manning, was poor.

"He let David Tyree beat him for a touchdown in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl, then let a catchable interception slip through his hands on the decisive Giant drive (though it would have been a tough catch), and didn't clobber Tyree when he was fighting for the catch heard 'round the world, though Samuel was only steps away."

Holley was just talking about Matt Walsh stating that he didn't feel Matt Walsh would ever come forward. Instead he says he will hide behind his lawyer because he has no new information to tell. He feels Walsh doesn't have a tape and the "smoking gun" may have been that NE was taping signals since 2000. Well, Goodell already knew this.

Was that last statement based on the evidence or your own wishes?

NOBODY outside of Matt Walsh knows if the Walsh tape exists or not.

99% says it doesn't exist.

Why?

Because he hasn't come forward with it and the Patriots say he is not bound by any confidentiality agreement.

Because Belichick was unequivocal about the fact that it doesn't exist. If it exists, then Belichick is a liar, and Pioli and the Patriots owe Walsh a lot of money for trashing his reputation in public.

Put two and two together: it doesn't exist.

Was that last statement based on the evidence or your own wishes?

NOBODY outside of Matt Walsh knows if the Walsh tape exists or not.

My statement was based on Kraft, BB, Pioli all having gone on record saying there is no tape. Their statements were quite definitive, it would be a real shocker if a tape appeared after all of that.

If Walsh had a tape, wouldn;t it have surfaced by now??

This is the crux of the situation. Not even the Patriots know if Walsh

taped the walk thru on his own without instructions from the Patriots

to do so. This is why he will be sued by the Patriots if the tape does,

in fact, exist.

Why would he do that?

And, if he did, why didn't he tell anyone?

I'm afraid that the reputation of the Patriots is irrevocably ruined.

As one of their original fans, it makes me very sad.

Sack up. Jeez.

John Clayton was just on ESPN radio saying if Walsh doesnt have a tape of the Rams' walk-through, Spygate will go away... why do I not think that it will be that easy?

Holley was just talking about Matt Walsh stating that he didn't feel Matt Walsh would ever come forward. Instead he says he will hide behind his lawyer because he has no new information to tell. He feels Walsh doesn't have a tape and the "smoking gun" may have been that NE was taping signals since 2000. Well, Goodell already knew this.

I do agree with Holley that Walsh is doing far more damage to the Patriots by not coming forward than by coming forward with tapes of stuff we already knew about. Since virtually no one in the media are even questioning Walsh's credibility or whether he has the tape of the walkthrough (I think most of the media are going under the assumption he has it or at least hoping to God he does), they are going to look at this story as very slanted and onesided.

If I was the Pats now, I would consider giving him full indemity just to call his bluff. My guess his lawyer would then say that isn't enough protection. His lawyer will ask the league to legally defend him against any criminal actions next.

99% says it doesn't exist.

Why?

Because he hasn't come forward with it and the Patriots say he is not bound by any confidentiality agreement.

Because Belichick was unequivocal about the fact that it doesn't exist. If it exists, then Belichick is a liar, and Pioli and the Patriots owe Walsh a lot of money for trashing his reputation in public.

Put two and two together: it doesn't exist.

I'll reserve judgment until the truth comes out. I never knew the Pats taped defensive signals until Spygate.

John Clayton was just on ESPN radio saying if Walsh doesnt have a tape of the Rams' walk-through, Spygate will go away... why do I not think that it will be that easy?

I agree. I bet the press will figure out a way to keep this going forever.

While he's at it, Bob Kraft should sue the league, ala Al Davis, and depose every coach and GM in the league, past and present, on their various practices. Tell the league he'll drop the suit when he gets a 1st rd pick back. A show trial would make for nice entertainment during the coming strike, and end the ongoing spygate charade, exposing it as cynical bullcrap meant to destroy a franchise by whiny competitors and their sheeple fan bases. Take the gloves off and fight for your honor, Bob. This is a league where honor and glory matter, and yours has been smeared by jackals and carrion birds.

Except BB did get the memo and he chose to interpret it his own way without verifying it with the league. He admits to using bad judgement in not doing so.
He (NE) was punished for it -- waay too harshly in my opinion, but that's it. It should have ended right then and there, yet it never has and seemingly never will.

So, Pony - on what grounds can Kraft sue?

Don't get me wrong, I am all for a good fight and would love to see Kraft sue some of these bastids.....just don't see where and how.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back