PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King ranks the five greatest pro football coaches of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.
All respect to Brown, but NO ONE is close to BB. What he has done in the salary cap, we will never see again in our lifetimes.

It's really weird, but Modell's teams won titles right after he fired those guys. I believe Billick pulled out his thumb and "Look what I found!"

Yea Collier won with Brown's guys but he still did a good job. They were a very good team right up to the early 70s then Sam Rutigiliano turned it around then Schotsie came in and kept it going in the 80s.

Yea Collier won with Brown's guys but he still did a good job. They were a very good team right up to the early 70s then Sam Rutigiliano turned it around then Schotsie came in and kept it going in the 80s.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/28/s...s-were-a-comical-traveling-sideshow.html?_r=0
is
Schotsie played here '69-'70
Sam coached here '71-'73

I think these lists are great but they are all overlooking someone obvious:

Carson Wentz leads the young NFL quarterback revolution | The MMQB with Peter King

1. Brown
2. Belichick
3. Lombardi
4. Noll
5. Shula

Would rather have Joe Gibbs, Tom Landry, or Bill Walsh instead of Shula in my Top 5.

The top tier for me is Brown, Belichick, Lombardi, Lambeau and Walsh, who each transformed how the game is coached and played (Brown, Belichick and Lombardi redefined the disciplines surrounding how the game is played and rewrote the role of the HC in their generations; Lambeau created the modern professional passing game and Walsh revolutionized the offense with the West Coast Offense). They were all revolutionaries. After that, IMO, it's degrees of excellence to round out the top ten. I wouldn't put Gibbs in the same class as Landry, Noll or Shula, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back