PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King: "Patriots have concerns"

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Certainly" according to you and me.

Perhaps, we will go to 4 RB's after Ojinnaka is activated.

However, it seems more likely that we will again have a 5th RB who doesn't get carries even after two running backs are injured.

I didn't get it last year, and I don't get it this year.

[QUOTE=AndyJohnson;2161056.
Holt probably would have made the team if he wasnt injured. We certainly would be better off wth a 6th WR inactive every game than a 5th RB inactive every game.

Patriots have issues just like every other team.

Chargers are missing their go-to receiver and left tackle. What would we be saying if Light and Moss were both holding out?

Colts just released their left tackle and have a scary (bad) offensive line.

Steelers have a rapist at quarterback and will have a controversy by mid-season.

Ravens secondary looks pitiful on paper with all their injuries.

Jets are the Jets.

I don't see what the big deal is. The Patriots were "too old and slow" according to guys like King, and now they're "too young and experienced." Sorry, there just aren't a lot of three-year guys with proven value on the free agent market, and I'm not sure another way to rebuild.

I hope everyone read King's brilliant analysis so far. Here are the highlights:

-The Saints-Vikings game. Sidney Rice's absence will make a minimal difference in the game, and the Saints will get to Favre all game. Both of these were the opposite of what happened.

-Panthers are a top-5 NFL team this year (WTF!!!!). After reading this, I decided to put King's articles away for awhile. This guy obviously just says something that pops into his head and justifies it.

Last edited:
In what may be a record of arrogance and condescention all of the following were posted just in this thread within about 9 hours. Thats a clip of about 1 every 40 minutes.

Well, according to the logic of those attacking King in this thread,
that's a stupid point

This isn't rocket science, for crying out loud.

You're a homer whom I generally respect, because you usually think before you post rather than just going knee-jerk. You didn't this time. You thoughtlessly jumped in the "attack the media" line. You were the one who was sloppy and ludicrous, not King.

as if the answer there isn't obvious to even a blind man

You didn't prove anything, or anyone, wrong, but you did act like a hypocrite. Congratulations on that, and have a great weekend.

Your argument makes no sense at all.

Given that odds of winning and team talent are separate issues, your argument fails.

You can sip all the Koolaid you want about that

You didn't bother reading or listening to the interview, did you?

The harshest criticism that can reasonably be aimed at King is that he didn't voice enough concerns.

Calling that a non-issue is stupid

What people are apparently seeing:

Quote:
OMG!!!! Epic disaster!!! BB Sucks!!!! Patriots 0-16!!!!
This team is obviously capable of completely screwing the pooch on personnel calls.

Sadly, they were all from the same poster.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Certainly" according to you and me.

Perhaps, we will go to 4 RB's after Ojinnaka is activated.

However, it seems more likely that we will again have a 5th RB who doesn't get carries even after two running backs are injured.

I didn't get it last year, and I don't get it this year.

I hear you. I guess BB feels having a guy who knows the system that he can trust if there are 2 RB injuries is important.
I would think thats what the practice squad is for.
But in the end this is really such a minor matter that we put way too much attention on. If the right place for extra depth turns out to be RB, then it stays as is, if not a roster move gets made. In the long run, pretty minor issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still trying to figure out what he see's in the Panthers

I'm still trying to figure out what he see's in the Panthers

Maybe it's that up-and-down pattern they've had over the years. Last year was a down year, so this year is an up year?

Deus is really set on defending Peter King....I know media types frequent this board, any chance Deus is actually Peter King? :)

Sadly, they were all from the same poster

I'll play, who is Deus Irae
Do I go to final jeopardy?

Deus is really set on defending Peter King....I know media types frequent this board, any chance Deus is actually Peter King? :)

He isn't King, it's just Deus being Deus.

Media members make plenty of mistakes to be bashed over. Bashing them for something that's a reasonable take is silly.

Outside receivers:
Moss
Tate
Price
Slater

That's the Patriots outside WR corps, with Welker/Edelman on the inside. The team's starting WR3 has zero career receptions. The putative backup at the position, Price, has zero career receptions and didn't exactly set the world on fire this offseason. The man behind that is Slater. Given that, King's quote

They just, in my opinion, have not focused enough right now on the receiver position in the offseason

Is a reasonable take on it, whether one agrees or disagrees with him. Frankly, the only reason I'm not surprised that people would bag on him for such an uncontroversial take is because it's happening on this site.

Media members make plenty of mistakes to be bashed over. Bashing them for something that's a reasonable take is silly.

Outside receivers:
Moss
Tate
Price
Slater

That's the Patriots outside WR corps, with Welker/Edelman on the inside. The team's starting WR3 has zero career receptions. The putative backup at the position, Price, has zero career receptions and didn't exactly set the world on fire this offseason. The man behind that is Slater. Given that, King's quote

Is a reasonable take on it, whether one agrees or disagrees with him..

It is unreasonable when you have to remove Edelman from the discussion because having him in there refutes the point about them not having a #3 receiver when his numbers were as good as most of the #3 receivers they have had in the last 10 years despite the fact that he missed five games

It is unreasonable when the claims of "not focusing enough on the receivers position in the offseason" resulted in another WR being taken in the draft to go along with two veteran WRs one of which was drafted and played extensively for the team already and both were beat out by the rookie and the 2nd year guy early on.

It is unreasonable when they went and drafted a guy who can catch passes from the TE spot that they have had problems with and addressed it farther with getting a veteran and a bruiser to improve their red zone passing game.

It is unreasonable when all of that has to be twisted around and brushed aside to try to make the same argument that THE FACTS DO NOT SUPPORT.

Have the last word on this because I'm not gonna reply to you about this because I already know what the reply will be. It doesn't matter what is said the broken record will keep on playing claiming everyone else but you is wrong no matter what is brought forth to prove you wrong.

Frankly, the only reason I'm not surprised that people would bag on him for such an uncontroversial take is because it's happening on this site

Proving the point Andy made about the arrogant condescending attitude yet again :rolleyes:

Outside receivers:
Moss
Tate
Price
Slater

Is a reasonable take on it, whether one agrees or disagrees with him. Frankly, the only reason I'm not surprised that people would bag on him for such an uncontroversial take is because it's happening on this site.
I notice it's never been an issue when the Colts have plugged relative unknowns into their offensive scheme with Manning throwing to them.

You're contrarian for the sake of it.

"You're contrarian for the sake of it."

Welcome to PatsFans. :)

Look, it's pretty obvious that "addressing" the receiver position to King/Deus means signing the high-priced veterans. Draft picks and second-year players are discounted, even though they'll be playing with the best 1-2 in football.

All I know is this: we'll often have Moss, Welker, Edelman, Tate, and Gronknandez lined up, with a 100% and financially mega-secure Brady throwing to them. I think I can suffer through that.

It's weird how Pete lives in Boston but never made it down to Patriots training camp. Not enough access perhaps??? ;)

PS - I don't believe the Patriots have concerns over their WR's.

What this thread has yet to address is why Brady was driving a Bentley with New Jersey plates.

If you think that WR is a deep position, answer this....

Who plays WR3 if Tate, a guy with essentially no NFL track record, can't get the job done?

Oh, right..... a rookie who fell behind his teammates because of missed OTA time, who then missed a bunch of camp with injury, and who hasn't shown much of anything to date. Right now, Tate = Galloway and Price = Aiken, and that's the situation the Patriots are in, because the team brought in nothing more than Holt and Patten. This isn't rocket science, for crying out loud.

It's one thing to like what you see in Tate and to think he'll pan out better than the Galloway experiment, to think that Price will be able to step it up over time, or to think that Holt was enough of an alternative to render the patriots moves 'adequate' in addressing the position. It's another to be so willfully blind that you can't see that King's opinion has logic to it, even if you disagree with it. The team "addressed" a position that had no WR3 and a WR2 coming off of ACL surgery by bringing in David Patten, Torry Holt and a 3rd round draft pick. It's not as if it went out and signed a bunch of top free agents and took wideouts in the first round.

Basically your entire post is a bunch of "what ifs" with respect to Tate and Price falling on their ass, and you don't even mention Edelman at all.

So I guess by your standards, the Patriots will never be able to address the WR position at all. Who knows? If they went out and traded for Sydney Rice, it wouldn't have addressed the problem because what if he can't learn the Patriots system? What if he can't stay healthy? What if he gets hit by a bus outside Gillette stadium?

So I guess the Colts had a terrible WR situation when they only had Reggie Wayne, Gonzalez (can't stay healthy) and drafted Collie and Garcon. By George, that could be the weakest WR corps in the NFL!!

Fact remains, they did address the WR situation, and only time will tell if they were successful in doing so.

You're a homer whom I generally respect, because you usually think before you post rather than just going knee-jerk. You didn't this time. You thoughtlessly jumped in the "attack the media" line. You were the one who was sloppy and ludicrous, not King.

You're pretty much the only one defending King in this thread, so if you want to believe that you're right and all the rest of us plebes are wrong, that's certainly your right.

Yes, the Patriots have concerns. My question is, do they have any more concerns than they did last year?

This is all way overblown.

What this thread has yet to address is why Brady was driving a Bentley with New Jersey plates.

yes, and when we're going to tribal council...

No, I really don't. He discussed the tight ends separately in the interview, and noted that he liked what's been done there:

He also asked if Brady had enough weapons. Plural. In fact, he prefaced the entire issue with that comment/opinion!

Trust me. Brady will have enough weapons (plural!) this season.

I should have changed the thread title to 'Patsfans vs. Deus Irae'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back