PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King on WEEI: Aqib Talib not a great corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love this trade, that being said it makes me sick that guys like him have the gift to play football and make money and he can just piss it away

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

He is nothing compared to puke athletes like Terrell Owens who blows 80 million bucks and claims he is broke THEN gets to play again albeit with another football league and also be in charge of the team as well but screws it up and once again is unemployed.

That,my friend is a loser.

Acquiring Talib was necessary. I truly believe that you cant win a Superbowl in todays league without successfully employing man coverages from time to time. Kyle Arrington and his marginal athleticism threatened our ability to play man coverage across the board. with Talib you get a corner who aggressively jams his reciever at the line and competitively plays the ball. he loses his share of battles but overall hes more competitive than any corner we have on the roster. Talib, McCourty and Dennard's progression could really turn things around for us. as for Kyle Arrington, I think we need to do whatever possible to keep him off the field. he flat out sucks this year.

He received a grade of 79 from Scouts, Inc. for comparison purposes:

Tom Brady: 96
Gronk: 92
Wilfork:86
McCourty: 78

Revis: 94
Champ Bailey: 83
Charles Tillman: 79
Patrick Peterson: 81

Seems pretty good to me

He received a grade of 79 from Scouts, Inc. for comparison purposes:

Tom Brady: 96
Gronk: 92
Wilfork:86
McCourty: 78

Revis: 94
Champ Bailey: 83
Charles Tillman: 79
Patrick Peterson: 81

Seems pretty good to me

If he's as good as Charles Tillman I'll be quite pleased. :)

IMO this trade is not simply a question of individual talent added.

It's a tipping point situation:
adding that one extra press-style CB should allow schematic changes to make the whole defense more aggressive.

So if Talib is merely "pretty good," his IMPACT could well be "great."

I do love your Work, Sistah Patricia.
beer.gif

We just significantly improved four Positions. :eek:

And all eleven will benefit...as will we. :cool:

Re: Peter King on WEEI:Talib not a great corner

IMO this trade is not simply a question of individual talent added. It's a tipping point situation: adding that one extra press-style CB should allow schematic changes to make the whole defense more aggressive.

So if Talib is merely "pretty good," his IMPACT could well be "great."

Yep, it is a domino situation if it works. Kind of a reverse Steve Martin in 2002. Not only does Talib potentially upgrade one position, he allows other players (Arrington specifically) to play to their strengths. Previously you had Arrington/Moore getting picked on as an every down CB...leading to a LB or S shading in their direction...resulting in more players needed in coverage...meaning fewer players rushing the passers...well we know how that story ends.

Dowling was starting to fill a role (physical coverage on quick slant routes) that was making a difference. If Talib can just continue that role, he allows Arrington to play in more zone situations and not be 2 steps behind receivers across the field. The key at this point is health. If this set of DBs is on the field during the playoffs and the front 7 stays relatively intact, this defense is plenty good enough to win 3-4 games in a row when it counts.

King misses the point of this trade completely.
I don't think any of us are expecting great. Revis is great!
What are are hoping for is simply an upgrade on what we have now. And given the current situation, this is almost a certainty.
And as Patchick so beautifully points out, and what makes me so excited about this deal, is that it ends up strengthening several positions at once, once the kid is cleared to play.
As a professional sports writer, I find it extraordinary that King can't see this.
He is just another lazy journalist.

Peter King also said Chiefs win will AFC West and of the 23 teams he visited, they have the most skillful players .. :rolleyes:

C'mon give him the benefit of the doubt. The other 22 teams might have been NCAA div II

Peter Queen is a Pats Hater. Why should this be of any news?!

I stopped listening to Peter King for 1 reason.. Driving down to NJ, I heard King on WEEI with Dale and Holley and gave his predictions.. 3 hours later he was on 660am and doing the same thing but gave a different prediction..
He has little knowledge of X's and O's and rely's on his contacts..
If you want some inside juice on the league or player, he has some great contacts.. But for him to judge a player is a joke. to many times I've seen him pick breakout players or say this guy isn't good, only to find out his judgement was wrong

I've seen the guy play 3 times in person (head to TB for 1 game a year), and as someone already pointed out, he's not Revis.. But he's a lot closer to Revis than arrington and the rest of the crew.. He can line up and play from day 1..

He has more talent coming to this team at this point in his career then Haynesworth, Ocho and Fanene.. Its a solid move to shore up a weakness in two areas.. Allows McCourty to firm up the middle and Talib (if he keeps his head together) on the outside with Denard (i feel arrington will/should move to his natural position.. inside)

Last edited:
I stopped listening to Peter King for 1 reason.. Driving down to NJ, I heard King on WEEI with Dale and Holley and gave his predictions.. 3 hours later he was on 660am and doing the same thing but gave a different prediction..
He has little knowledge of X's and O's and rely's on his contacts..
If you want some inside juice on the league or player, he has some great contacts.. But for him to judge a player is a joke. to many times I've seen him pick breakout players or say this guy isn't good, only to find out his judgement was wrong

I've seen the guy play 3 times in person (head to TB for 1 game a year), and as someone already pointed out, he's not Revis.. But he's a lot closer to Revis than arrington and the rest of the crew.. He can line up and play from day 1..

He has more talent coming to this team at this point in his career then Haynesworth, Ocho and Fanene.. Its a solid move to shore up a weakness in two areas.. Allows McCourty to firm up the middle and Talib (if he keeps his head together) on the outside with Denard (i feel arrington will/should move to his natural position.. inside)

Remember when he spent an entire MMQB raving over Chad Henne, saying that he was going to be the steal of the draft and an excellent QB? Yeah, whiffs of that magnitude aren't exactly rare for him.

He is nothing compared to puke athletes like Terrell Owens who blows 80 million bucks and claims he is broke THEN gets to play again albeit with another football league and also be in charge of the team as well but screws it up and once again is unemployed.

That,my friend is a loser.
I love this deal, but let's not pretend that this guy hasn't been involved in serious crap which goes far beyond what Dillon, Moss, Bryan Cox, Haynsworth and any other scumbag you wish to name was involved with. T. Owens behaves like an idiot. Comparing the worst he's ever done to Talib's rap sheet is disingenuous and phony. Let's be honest. I believe he's going to play great football and behave himself because of where he is and who's around him. But, let's not try and pretend Talib's transactions have been frat boy stuff. He's been in big boy land criminally.

based on the title he is right..he isn't a GREAT CB..a decent one yes. Who knows. Maybe Tb traded him becasue he was getting picked on the past 2 years and was getting beat on a lot of plays which was happening

Last edited:
He may not be great, but according to me great is a very high mark. Brady is great. Revis is great. Ray Lewis was Great. I don't expect Talib to be great. I expect him to be good.

Add this to the long list of things that Peter "The amazing Kreshkin" King has been WRONG about...............WHat a douche and true to his usual schtick.....a Pats hater....We all need to overload his email account when Talib gets his FIRST (of many) INT"s!!!!

based on the title he is right..he isn't a GREAT CB..a decent one yes. Who knows. Maybe Tb traded him becasue he was getting picked on the past 2 years and was getting beat on a lot of plays which was happening
Not to argue semantics, but he's far better than decent. He has the ability to make this secondary legit, or better.

I love this deal, but let's not pretend that this guy hasn't been involved in serious crap which goes far beyond what Dillon, Moss, Bryan Cox, Haynsworth and any other scumbag you wish to name was involved with. T. Owens behaves like an idiot. Comparing the worst he's ever done to Talib's rap sheet is disingenuous and phony. Let's be honest. I believe he's going to play great football and behave himself because of where he is and who's around him. But, let's not try and pretend Talib's transactions have been frat boy stuff. He's been in big boy land criminally.

One big difference between the problems with Talib and Haynsworth for instance is that Haynsworth is one lazy ass. That man seems to have no love for the game and if he has the work for it, he won't. Talib is gona have to clean up his act if he wants to stay here but I don't think he is a lazy ass like Fat Albert. Therefor I am not as worried for the football side. For the other side of him do, I am worried but if anyone can change him, then that is probably BB. I think the lockerroom today is buildt to handle guys like this too. I mean, Wilfork and Mayo will do what they can to keep him in line and I think Brady will keep a close watch on him so that he doesn't hurt the locker room in any way. Brady is after more rings I don't think he will let a punk get in the way on that. The lockerroom has clear leaders and I think that will help. It is not a loose young locker room. It is a room with good leaders.

Last edited:
What is it with all the hating here? How many of you have the cred, experience, or, let alone, know-how, to call King an idiot, a lousy writer, and many other worse things here?

Grow up children. When someone disagrees with you if the first thing you do is call them stupid it only proves one thing - you're the stupid one. Or didn't you learn that BEFORE you went to kindergarten?

King's primarily a reporter - he reports on what he hears from players, coaches, management, and various experts, yes, some even paid to talk to him. He opines beyond this reporting but to a limited degree and he's always the first one to point out his predictions and insights have not had the greatest track record. Why? Because virtually NO ONE has a great track record when it comes to assessing players, coaches, teams, etc. If it were so easy Vegas wouldn't make a dime and we'd have six Revis type CB's on the Pats because BB would have no problem finding them.

Geez........

I love this deal, but let's not pretend that this guy hasn't been involved in serious crap which goes far beyond what Dillon, Moss, Bryan Cox, Haynsworth and any other scumbag you wish to name was involved with.

Unfortunately I think you may be mis-remembering Mr. Dillon, who has the rare distinction of logging multiple arrests in each period: before, during and after his NFL career. The combination of a strong locker room and a winning team kept him in check in New England...for a while.

Unfortunately I think you may be mis-remembering Mr. Dillon, who has the rare distinction of logging multiple arrests in each period: before, during and after his NFL career. The combination of a strong locker room and a winning team kept him in check in New England...for a while.
I'm agreeing with you. Not sure Corey's offenses rise to the level, or better yet, sink to the level of Talib's. But our positions are pretty much in sync. By the way, love the Roger Clemens "misremembering." Beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back