Peter King on the Belichick Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
From MMQB:

The power tree in the NFL is the Belichick Tree, and no other coach has branches nearly as strong or expansive. But this isn't just a coaching tree, it's an overall football tree.

And earlier in the column, King manages to mention Cassel at least two or three times. . . . :eek:

Here's the part that got me:

"I'm certain we'll discuss it,'' said Indianapolis GM Bill Polian, a member of the rules-making Competition Committee, which begins its offseason rules deliberations in February. "The new stats are interesting. The most interesting part of it is the drive-start position [at the 27.2-yard line].''

Can you guess what that's in reference to?

Peter King is still a complete hack and moron who is nothing but a barometer of the masses.

its a pretty nice writeup
This week's nominee for smartest man on the football planet -- or at least the most forward-thinking one -- is Kraft, the New England owner. In 2000, when he was about to hire a new coach, he ignored those who told him Belichick was a drab and uncommunicative bore who failed at his only previous head-coaching job in Cleveland. And Kraft didn't go all knee-jerk when the Pats slithered to 5-11 in Belichick's first year in New England, nor when Belichick and his personnel man, Pioli, chose to deal franchise quarterback-turned-backup, Drew Bledsoe, to Buffalo in 2002. But the team was building a system in which coaches and scouts and players were trained and developed from within.

Just look at the seeds Belichick -- along with former Browns general managers Ernie Accorsi and Mike Lombardi and college scouting director Dom Anile --planted in Cleveland in the first half of the '90s. "The public doesn't realize what a great teacher Bill is,'' Lombardi said. "He'd rather bring in young people and train them in his way than bring in experienced guys who say, 'Well, this is always the way I've done it,' and wouldn't be as open to new ideas.'' Belichick went only 37-45 in his five years as coach, but check out who was in the football-knowledge incubator during that time:

• Ozzie Newsome, scout and eventually pro-personnel director. Now the highly successful GM of the Ravens.

• Scott Pioli, scouting department assistant and eventually pro-personnel assistant. Named general manager of the Chiefs last week.

• Jim Schwartz, scouting department intern. Named coach of the Lions last week.

• Eric Mangini, coaching staff assistant. Named coach of the Browns this month.

• George Kokinis, scouting department intern. Expected to be named general manager of the Browns this month.

• Mike Tannenbaum, scouting department intern. Conducting his second coaching search now as GM of the Jets.

• Phil Savage, quality control coach and eventually scout. Fired as Browns' GM last month.

• Nick Saban, defensive coordinator. Went on to coach at Michigan State, LSU and the Miami Dolphins; now coaching Alabama.

• Kirk Ferentz, offensive line coach. Now coaches Iowa.

• Pat Hill, personnel assistant. Now coaches Fresno State.

Two more notables from Belichick's New England tenure: McDaniels, hired as a personnel assistant to Pioli in 2001, was named coach of the Broncos last week. Thomas Dimitroff, hired as a scout under Pioli in 2002, was hired as Atlanta's GM last year.

Five men with Belichick roots have gone on to be NFL general managers; that will become six if Kokinis gets the Cleveland job.

Four Belichick men have gone on to be NFL head coaches. (There are others with ties to Belichick, but I count Romeo Crennel and Al Groh as Parcells guys.)

"We were all first-timers in the NFL with no families,'' Schwartz recalled the other day, speaking of the Pioli-Schwartz-Mangini-Tannenbaum-Savage-Kokinis group. "Fifteen years later, you real how special that group was. "It was like getting a Ph.D. in Footballology. Bill had a soft spot for people who came up the way he did -- remember, he entered the league making $25 a week, or whatever it was, as a gopher for Ted Marchibroda in Baltimore.''

Schwartz feared he'd get fired one Memorial Day in Cleveland. Hungry, he went to the meal room to see what was in the fridge. He saw a turkey sandwich and ate it. Later, Belichick came into the room, looking for his lunch -- the aforementioned turkey sandwich -- and was not pleased when he learned the sandwich resided in Schwartz's stomach. But Belichick saw something in Schwartz, an economics grad from Georgetown and son of a Baltimore cop who bypassed big-money jobs to work for next-to-nothing learning the business in Cleveland, bunking together with complete strangers in dorm-like housing.

In the spring of 1995, Schwartz, then 28, was dispatched to Phoenix to study the players on the Playboy All-America team. He didn't wear logoed clothing; he was just there to observe, blend in and look at the behavior, personality, competitive nature and off-field habits of the top college prospects as they hung around for a weekend, being photographed, playing pickup basketball and going out at night. This is what Schwartz wrote in his report about University of Miami linebacker Ray Lewis, the youngest member of the 1995 All-America team:

"Ray Lewis is the most dynamic leader of the group. This guy drips with charisma. He is extremely competitive and constantly challenges other players to games, then he'll keep playing 'til he wins.'' Schwartz strongly recommended the Browns pick Lewis in the next draft, even though some scouts would say he was too small to be a middle or inside linebacker. The Browns moved to Baltimore after that season, and the new team in Baltimore picked Lewis in the first round.

"I'll be forever indebted to Bill for starting me in the business and giving me the kind of education that's gotten me to this point,'' Schwartz said.

One of Belichick's mantra, those around him say, is this: Not all evaluators of talent can coach. Not all coaches can evaluate. But if you can do both, your value goes up exponentially. That's the story of many of the guys from his Cleveland days.
the point isnt how succesful his people have been but how many people he has given the opportunity to grow and make something for themselves.

what is this? BB went from being darth vader 2 years ago to now being an angel?

Holmgren had a ridiculous coaching tree

BB seems to be churning out GMs like crazy.....has any other football mind bread so many GMs/presidents of Personell (or Vice)? and if someone has have they had the success of a Peoli and/or Newsome?

BB :youtheman:

Here's the part that got me:

Can you guess what that's in reference to?

That's a great idea to kick off from the 40 instead of 30 in OT. Might be the only tweaking necessary for OT.

BTW, I loved Peter King's piece on the BB Tree. He seems to be mentioning something positive about the Patriots in nearly every edition of MMQB this year. Sometimes several positive things. He's seems far more enlightened.

BTW, I loved Peter King's piece on the BB Tree. He seems to be mentioning something positive about the Patriots in nearly every edition of MMQB this year. Sometimes several positive things. He's seems far more enlightened.
King is just fastening his lips on the frontrunner's backside after Vegas projected the Pats to win the Feb 2010 championship game.

The most salient point for me reading this article was how BB actually prefers smart young coaching/evaluator talent to more experienced people who are more set in their ways.

That probably means the GM and OC replacements are young talent either in the Pats organization already or somewhere BB knows about.

He really loves to mold these young minds about his football system--I think it's one of his greatest achievements.

The most salient point for me reading this article was how BB actually prefers smart young coaching/evaluator talent to more experienced people who are more set in their ways.

That probably means the GM and OC replacements are young talent either in the Pats organization already or somewhere BB knows about.

He really loves to mold these young minds about his football system--I think it's one of his greatest achievements.
It creates continuity for the players, they don't need to learn a new system and can just focus on getting better.

That's a great idea to kick off from the 40 instead of 30 in OT. Might be the only tweaking necessary for OT.

i hard BB on WEEI after the jets loss and according to him he hates college like rules because forhim the whole excitement of football is strategy , when to go for it on 4th down when to punt, how to use timeouts etc.He says college like stuff or 1 possesion really took that out eve as the current system.

His suggestion was to play 15 mins and if one teams keeps the ball for 12 mins so be it.
Another interesting pt he said that was the league should strongly looking into the XP since 99 % of the time its made and hall of fame players have gotten injured on a stupid XP. I dont remember the whole conversation but it was very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back