PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King on moss and contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/12/02/week13/5.html
2. I think if you're looking for an update on Randy Moss' contract status for 2008, you won't get a solid one anywhere, because he and the Patriots aren't going to talk turkey until after the season, from all accounts. But I spoke to a close acquaintance of Moss' the other day, and here's his feeling on what the reborn receiver will do in free agency:

"Randy is as happy now as I've seen him, ever. He's finally in a place where everything on a football team is done right -- front office, coaching, the offense they run. He loves the team, loves the organization. My gut feeling is if they're competitive within the market, he'll stay and not want to go anywhere else. If the Pats step out right away, like it did with Adalius Thomas last year, and offers him a market deal -- even if it's not every last penny he could get somewhere else -- my gut feeling is he'd definitely want to stay. But if he thinks New England is low-balling him, then I don't know.''

Tough call for the Patriots. Moss will be 31 next year, his 11th NFL season. He's had injury and loafing issues in the last three years, and he hasn't always been a great offseason workout guy. How much the Patriots will want to pay him up front, with a salary cap that has to account for so many standout players, will be an interesting story in February, regardless of whether New England wins the Super Bowl.

One last thought: If Moss is so serious about winning and being with a great team for the rest of his career, he'll do what Brady did three years ago. After Peyton Manning signed for $16 million a year and Michael Vick $14 million a year -- on average -- Brady did a six-year deal for $60 million, knowing he could make a boatload of money off the field and knowing the Patriots would use the savings on his deal to sign players like Thomas and Moss. If Moss is serious about being with a winner long term, he'll do the same thing.
5. Randy Moss, WR, New England. Good for Ron Jaworski. You've got to call 'em the way you see 'em, and Jaws saw Moss loafing against the Eagles. What's he supposed to do? Say nothing? Lots of analysts would -- we all know that -- but not Jaworski.
i wish king confirmed what jaws saw before just accepting what he was saying...

what he wrote about the moss contract is absolutely ridiculous. so, if randy moss doesn't take a lot less money than he is worth on the free agent market, he isn't serious about winning? so, by using King's own logic and examples, is Peyton Manning not serious about winning? Of course, King won't say that about precious Peyton, but he'll say it about Moss. Unbelievable. It really make syou think...

what he wrote about the moss contract is absolutely ridiculous. so, if randy moss doesn't take a lot less money than he is worth on the free agent market, he isn't serious about winning? so, by using King's own logic and examples, is Peyton Manning not serious about winning? Of course, King won't say that about precious Peyton, but he'll say it about Moss. Unbelievable. It really make syou think...

I actually agree with King about the basic principle. At this point, the teams that are consistently winning don't need to, won't want to, or can't afford to pay as much as the teams that would desperately love to have someone of his ability. So, the basic idea--that he has to choose between guaranteed $ and winning--isn't terribly far-fetched.

Didn't make you think enough, evidently.

If you want to win consistently, you need a good team. And if the top-paid players each take a fe mil less a year, then better backups can be signed.

No, one one is required to do it. But if you REALLY want to win more than you REALLLY want to squeeze wvery last penny out of a club for yourself, you will do it.

No one is saying to sign for 3 mi. But if his financial future is secure, and his goal in life is now to win, why would he go to the Dolphins (for instance) for 10 mil a year, rather than to the Pats for 7-8 mil a year?

Think about it for a minute. What would make him (or you or anyone) happiest. That is what your goal should be. To make that happen.

actually, by mentioning the Brady deal as a great one, he basically says the Peyton deal was much worse for the team. he has mentioned this over and over again.

Peter King is a huuuuuge Brady lover

his point about Moss was really "if he cares about winning he'll take a healthy deal from the Pats, but not demand every last dollar." Just like Brady & Seymour did.

Last edited:
My point isn't that Peter King's premise is wrong, its that he only is calling Moss out for this. I don't recall him calling Manning or Vick selfish when they signed their gigantic deals. I see it as evidence of a double standard. That aspect of the sory wasn't raised. Instead, it was all about what an important move it was to lock up these star athletes, and how great it was that they would retire with their drafting teams, etc.

Its evidence of a double standard that the media has for Moss. When he's catching bombs they say he's afraid to get hit or go over the middle. When he does just that as he did last week in the Eagles game, they ignore it and say he isn't trying or else he would have caught one of those long passes.

And wow, you guys are catty today.

Peter King used to be the be all and end all of NFL Resources... But now that NFL Network, and the internet has gotten bigger, and he is just a bitter person that thinks his opinon matters, when there are 70 other talking heads doing the same thing.

Franchise him!

Moss isn't going anywhere.

The Patriots will offer him a solid long term deal in February, before the deadline for designating franchise players.

I think they'll get the deal done then, but if they don't, Randy is getting franchised. (Unless they have already agreed not to do so).

Between his reputation and the terms of the CBA, Moss does not have the leverage to hold out unless the Pats give him a truly insulting offer.

We shouldn't be surprised to hear his friends say that he wants to be paid at the market rate. What else are they going to say? "My friend Randy would like to be paid half what he is worth"?

I dont think Moss leaves either.

Honestly at this point how much MORE money could he possibly want?

My point isn't that Peter King's premise is wrong, its that he only is calling Moss out for this. I don't recall him calling Manning or Vick selfish when they signed their gigantic deals.

I actually do remember him comparing Brady's deal to Manning's and saying how much better Brady's was for his team.

I wonder if there is any way to get Moss and Samuel for competitve, slightly below market, cap-friendly deals?

I actually do remember him comparing Brady's deal to Manning's and saying how much better Brady's was for his team.

Yes but he didn't question Manning's willingness to win because of it did he? Of course not.

Yes but he didn't question Manning's willingness to win because of it did he? Of course not.

not in those words, but it was implied that his contract was a "me first" contract

not in those words, but it was implied that his contract was a "me first" contract

And yet the Colts as a team have had success since 2004 even winning a Super Bowl since Manning signed his so-called "me first" contract.

"Tough Call for the Patriots"? HAHAHA. That's what they said last year. I guess that's why someone like Belichick who has some sense stands out so much in this league. I swear, it's really scary how some of these people cannot see what is right in front of them.

Didn't make you think enough, evidently.

If you want to win consistently, you need a good team. And if the top-paid players each take a fe mil less a year, then better backups can be signed.

No, one one is required to do it. But if you REALLY want to win more than you REALLLY want to squeeze wvery last penny out of a club for yourself, you will do it.

No one is saying to sign for 3 mi. But if his financial future is secure, and his goal in life is now to win, why would he go to the Dolphins (for instance) for 10 mil a year, rather than to the Pats for 7-8 mil a year?

Think about it for a minute. What would make him (or you or anyone) happiest. That is what your goal should be. To make that happen.

Just look at Indy this year. They've lost some key players that they've dedicated a ton of cap dollars too, and now they're struggling somewhat because their replacements are JAG's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes