PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter king on colts

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/08/04/colts.postcard/1.html

"Hey," Vinatieri said to me when we met. "What are you doing picking the Super Bowl you did?"

Now that's news. A player actually knows that I picked Dallas to beat New England.

"What can I say?" I said to Vinatieri. "I've got to go for the happy ending with Parcells riding off into the sunset after the Super Bowl."

"Well," Vinatieri said. "Keep us in mind. We're pretty good."

Poor Adam. Used to a QB that plays even bigger in big games than he does in training camp.

He'll learn. Yes, he'll learn.

Last edited:
SVN said:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/08/04/colts.postcard/1.html

"Hey," Vinatieri said to me when we met. "What are you doing picking the Super Bowl you did?"

Now that's news. A player actually knows that I picked Dallas to beat New England.

"What can I say?" I said to Vinatieri. "I've got to go for the happy ending with Parcells riding off into the sunset after the Super Bowl."

Screw Vinatieri. That will be one ACL injury I won't mind seeing. Just kidding...Maybe

I guess Vinatraitor hasn't watched "his team" in the playoffs the past few years. Funny, he's had a really good view of a couple of the games.

Oh, god, but Peter King is an idiot when it comes to analysis. He's a decent writer, but he's just a dope when it comes to analysis. Check out what he says:

I think the Colts gained more with the addition of Adam Vinatieri than they lost with the subtraction of James. Nothing against James, but you can find running backs who will give you 90 percent of a mega-star's production. Curtis Martin was a third-round pick, Terrell Davis a sixth, Jamal Anderson a seventh. Backs don't grow on trees, but you can find them. Look at what the Broncos do every year
This is so obviously stupid, I'm not sure I really want to go through the bother of saying why, but ...

Look at what happened to the Patriots after Martin or the Falcons after Anderson. They didn't find runners nearly as good. It just doesn't follow that because some RBs are had late, you can find RBs anywhere. Tom Brady was a 6th round pick ... what does that prove about QBs?

Besides, by that logic (good runners can be had late), kickers are even less valuable. Almost all of them are undrafted. And talk about getting 90 percent of a mega-star's production ... kickers are far more fungible than top running backs.

And Mike Vangerjagt may have been a choker, but otherwise he was an excellent kicker. It's not like it'll be a huge improvement. Maybe one kick a year would be different. Maybe, if it even comes to that in the playoffs. And kickoffs will probably suffer.

Damn, the amount of ink spilled about Adam ...

He's. Just. A. Kicker.

PlattsFan said:
Oh, god, but Peter King is an idiot when it comes to analysis. He's a decent writer, but he's just a dope when it comes to analysis. Check out what he says:
I was about to comment on this too. I really like King. But this is bizarre,. Like you said, Vanderjagt was a very good kicker, as good as Vinatraitor in the regular season. And despite the Colts-Steelers debacle last year, hardly any of their playoff losses have come down to a FG. Nutty comment by King

Yup. If you're not in position to make clutch kicks, you won't make clutch kicks. John Carney or Neil Rackers may be the greatest clutch kickers in the history of mankind. But we'd never know.

Clutch kicking is much more a function of the offense. There's a line of thought out there that says without Vinny, Brady would just be considered another good quarterback....that Vinny made the Brady "legend".

I typically counter that Brady made the Vinatieri "legend". What's more impressive -- driving a team into field goal range with 80 seconds left in the Super Bowl, or kicking a long field goal to win it?

There may be 20 other kickers in the league who could have made that kick given the opportunity. There may be five QBs who could have given him the chance to do so.

BelichickFan said:
I was about to comment on this too. I really like King. But this is bizarre,. Like you said, Vanderjagt was a very good kicker, as good as Vinatraitor in the regular season. And despite the Colts-Steelers debacle last year, hardly any of their playoff losses have come down to a FG. Nutty comment by King

Uh no. Vanderjagt lost the Miami playoff game also. Manning drove the Colts down the field to win it and Vandershank missed it. He also missed the one against the Pats as well which would have given the Colts home field advantage. He missed as many big kicks as Vinatieri made.

Another one he missed was the one which would have ended the greatest comeback in history - down by 21, less than 4 minutes to go in Tampa - but he got another chance.

Did you see both Ackers kick that 55 yarder last night? And it had plenty more left. Adam was clutch, however, he isn't close to being the best kicker in the league (I think it's Ackers), and he simply doesn't have the leg strenth anymore for the 50+ yrd field goals. Not to mention his very short KOs.
HEll even the drunk kicked one from over 50 last night.

... He's. Just. A. Kicker.[/QUOTE said:
That is not quite true...

He's. Just. An. AGING. Kicker.

(That's already lost lots of range in Kickoffs, (2003+), and deep (+50yds - 2002+), and medium range (mid forties - 2005+) FGs.

Adam was clutch, however, he isn't close to being the best kicker in the league (I think it's Ackers),

:rocker: Yeah, I know how this works. He goes from being the greatest FG kicker in the history of the universe to "he wasn't that good anyway" the day he leaves.

and he simply doesn't have the leg strenth anymore for the 50+ yrd field goals.

Hell, he'll be doing it left and right indoors.

Not to mention his very short KOs.

He had quite a few touchbacks last year, didn't he? He's been awesome on kickoffs so far for the Colts at camp. Don't worry, he'll get touchbacks left and right indoors.

Yankees/Colts said:
:rocker: Yeah, I know how this works. He goes from being the greatest FG kicker in the history of the universe to "he wasn't that good anyway" the day he leaves.

NOPE. Comparing Vinatieri as a GAIN and Edgerrin James as a LOSS, and coming out the other end with a wash or net-gain for the Colts is insanity. Sorry, kid. Deal with it.

SVN said:

Maybe I am reading more into the quote than is there but doesn't it make you wonder if he wants to win the Super Bowl with the Colts to stick it to BB. Okay maybe that is a stretch.

Last edited by a moderator:
NOPE. Comparing Vinatieri as a GAIN and Edgerrin James as a LOSS, and coming out the other end with a wash or net-gain for the Colts is insanity.

There's a huge difference here. Pats fans wanted to elect Vinatieri mayor, while many Colts fans always wanted to see what another RB could do in our offense. The Colts tried to trade Edge last year and could not.

When Edge was injured, Dominic Rhodes put up about as good numbers as Edge ever did.

I'm excited to see what a super-fast RB like Addai can do against all these defenses who drop back and concentrate on stopping the pass.

If you want a dream job as a RB, it's for the Colts - not too many 8 man fronts.

LOL let me get this straight. You propose that...

Rookie RB > Edge

Adding AV > Losing Edge

Edge must suck huh? What has he done for you lately?

Let's see his stats over the last 3 years:
Year Team G GS Att Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ FD
2003 Indianapolis Colts 13 13 310 1259 4.1 43 11 3 83
2004 Indianapolis Colts 16 16 334 1548 4.6 40 9 6 73
2005 Indianapolis Colts 15 15 360 1506 4.2 33 13 5 94

Hmm 1200, 1500, and 1500 yard season. Boy that Edge sure was in decline, good thing you dumped him when you did! :p

No matter how you look at it, a lot of spin control is going on. Yes the Colts expended a 1st round pick on a RB (Addai), but there is no guarantee this kid will be nearly as productive as Edge over the last 3 years.

Yankees/Colts said:
There's a huge difference here. Pats fans wanted to elect Vinatieri mayor, while many Colts fans always wanted to see what another RB could do in our offense. The Colts tried to trade Edge last year and could not.

When Edge was injured, Dominic Rhodes put up about as good numbers as Edge ever did.

I'm excited to see what a super-fast RB like Addai can do against all these defenses who drop back and concentrate on stopping the pass.

If you want a dream job as a RB, it's for the Colts - not too many 8 man fronts.

Since 1999 Colts 70-26 with the Edge, 7-9 without the Edge.

Is anyone going to respect the Colts ground game?

Good luck Peyton throwing against 6 DBs on 1st down.

LOL let me get this straight. You propose that...

Rookie RB > Edge

Dominic Rhodes was an undrafted rookie free agent and he was just as good as Edge when Edge went down.

Edge's ypc was usually one of the worst of the top RBs and was particularly bad the second half of last season. But, he was the Colts only RB, got all the carries, so he got a lot of yards.

The guy's had no burst whatsoever the past few seasons and had very few long runs. And, he's terrible in goal line/short yardage situations. I don't need to tell Pats fans that.

Since 1999 Colts 70-26 with the Edge, 7-9 without the Edge.

Seven of those losses came the year he injured his knee, but, Dominic Rhodes filled in and put up Edge's usual numbers, so that wasn't the problem. The problem was that during that season the Colt defense was the 5th worst in the history of the NFL, giving up 486 points. It's a bit difficult to win when your defense gives up 486 points. The Patriots gave up only 498 over the course of TWO seasons in '03 and '04.

Yankees/Colts said:
Dominic Rhodes was an undrafted rookie free agent and he was just as good as Edge when Edge went down.

Edge's ypc was usually one of the worst of the top RBs and was particularly bad the second half of last season. But, he was the Colts only RB, got all the carries, so he got a lot of yards.

Seven of those losses came the year he injured his knee, but, Dominic Rhodes filled in and put up Edge's usual numbers, so that wasn't the problem. The problem was that during that season the Colt defense was the 5th worst in the history of the NFL, giving up 486 points. It's a bit difficult to win when your defense gives up 486 points. The Patriots gave up only 498 over the course of TWO seasons in '03 and '04.
Dominic Rhodes has never and in all likelihood will never be as good as Edge. Edge's ypc has almost always been above four, and his lack of big gains is beside the point to his value to that team. The guy is one of the best at churning out 4-6 yard gains, leaving the offense in a lot of 2nd and 4 or 3rd and 3. Prime situations for the passing game to expoit some matchups and play-action passes for big gains. The passing game on that team is the one that gets the big gains; it's preferable with those throwing and receiving weapons to have a back that never puts the team in 3rd and long rather than a guy who might bust one sometime. The play-action makes that whole offense click, especially off of the stretch play. Maybe it's a coincidence that Peyton Manning had his worst passer rating (excepting his rookie year) the year Edge was out ... but maybe it isn't.

But if it helps you feel better about the season ... go right ahead thinking Addai and Rhodes are gonna be better than Edge. More power to ya.

Last edited:
Peter King loves the Colts. Incidentally, my biggest gripe with him lately is 4 pagesd of fluff about Gary Kubiak in his MMQB column today. BOOOOOOOORING. I'm not even sure Houston fans want to read that crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back