PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King on Cassel's trade value

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how much of a say Cassel will really get about the next team he's going to. And would he care if he's going to Detroit or not. Either way he's going to get a lot of money AND he'll be the starter!

he has almost all the say since he would have to sign a new deal with any team that would trade for him as one of the conditions of the trade........if he doesn't sign the new deal, then the trade falls through.....that's how that situation works

I wonder how much of a say Cassel will really get about the next team he's going to. And would he care if he's going to Detroit or not. Either way he's going to get a lot of money AND he'll be the starter!

Cassel could refuse to sign until the last minute.

Cassel has some say, for sure. I think he'd go wherever he could, though, even Detroit has some upside with Calvin Johnson and Kevin Smith. If they committed to some OL then Cassel could be interested there. All the other potential suitors would appeal to him, I believe. KC. TB. SF. Minnesota. Chicago. Nothing wrong with going to any of them.

except that cassel is part of the decision-making process on this and detroit would happen if only other options are not available

Calvin Johnson and a #1 overall LT isn't a bad start.

he has almost all the say since he would have to sign a new deal with any team that would trade for him as one of the conditions of the trade........if he doesn't sign the new deal, then the trade falls through.....that's how that situation works

Realistically, I think Cassell can force the Pats to take his choice of the top few trade offers.

Realistically, I think Cassell can force the Pats to take his choice of the top few trade offers.

true........but I think both sides are positive towards each other and the situation.....something will get worked out.......but don't be suprised if it doesn't include a first round pick

What about Seattle? They appear willing to let Hasselbeck go, and I don't think Seneca Wallace is their QB of the future.

Or maybe Carolina. Jake's performance last week was just plain horrific. Can Carolina really expect him to get any better?

I'm not sure if it is a good or bad thing that someone as clueless as Peter King sees Cassel's value as so high.

As a side note here how much of this is all possible due to the O'Connell pick? Belichick can trade Cassel without knowing if Brady will be ready because he has O'Connell ... an unproven commodity but probably good enough to at least be a backup. O'Connell takes away any thought of Belichick having to trade Cassel just to pick another QB or to trade Cassel at some specific time in the future. A small thing but something that helps not hinders Belichick's trading of Cassel.

Have never felt low draft picks would be a good fit for whoever they draft, as it would upset the salary structure of this team.. would be very satisfied with a couple of future #2's and maybe a future #3.

Last edited:
except that cassel is part of the decision-making process on this and detroit would happen if only other options are not available

The only way Cassel would have any leverage or say is if he doesn't sign the franchise tender, and I can't imagine if you put a piece of paper in front of him that says he is guaranteed $14MM in 2009 he will not sign it. Once he signs that paper he is the property of the NEP and they can do whatever they want with him or send them wherever they want to send him.

The only way Cassel would have any leverage or say is if he doesn't sign the franchise tender, and I can't imagine if you put a piece of paper in front of him that says he is guaranteed $14MM in 2009 he will not sign it. Once he signs that paper he is the property of the NEP and they can do whatever they want with him or send them wherever they want to send him.

The only way the Patriots can trade Cassel against his will is if the team trading for him is willing to accept the franchise tag contract. Otherwise, Cassel would just refuse to negotiate a new contract, and the trade would be dead in the water.

Whether he signs the tender or not Cassel has tremendous leverage in any trade. No one is trading the Pats anything of value if Cassel isn't willing to sign with them long term. His trade value as 1 year rental is probably not much at all.

I don't think the Pats trade w/anyone ahead of SF at 10. Buffalo @ 11, Denver @ 12, Washington @ 13, Saints @ 14, Houston @ 15, San Diego @ 16 don't need a QB. The Jets @ 17 will not happen. Chicago @ 18, Tampa Bay @ 19 and Detroit as mentioned @ 20 are good spots. So the most likely trading partners in my mind are SF @ 10, Chicago @ 18, Tampa Bay @ 19 and Detroit @ 20. I don't see the Pats going below pick 20 and in my mind they will ask for a 1st and more in this year's draft.

Last edited:

I dont think Cassel will sign the offer quickly I have a feeling its going to drag, complicated situations such as the Pats and Cassel are in take time to work out, its not only the Pats and Cassel involved its his agent and the other team intrested in him all having to come together and strike a deal thats fair for all parties involved.

I hope it gets done asap but im not sure its going to happen that way.

The Jets @ 17 will not happen.

Give me that #17 and Revis and Cassel's their QB. Heck they can even have our one anti-semitic cheerleader. She'll be popular over in NYC, hehe.

Give me that #17 and Revis and Cassel's their QB. Heck they can even have our one anti-semitic cheerleader. She'll be popular over in NYC, hehe.

Id be thrilled with that.

Id be thrilled with that.

That would be the last act of Tannenbaum as the Jets GM other than cleaning out his desk. So, really, it's got an added bonus.

Last edited:
That would be the last act of Tannenbaum as the Jets GM other than cleaning out his desk. So, really, it's got an added bonus.

See, now we're on to something. The Jets fans would root for that and I'm pretty sure all of Woody's decisions come straight from the all-caps posts at Jets Insiders.

So how about it Jets fans? Give us #17 and Revis for Cassel and freedom from Tanny? Think it over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes