PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King: NFL Competition Committee will consider a "modified sudden death'' rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disco Volante

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Twitter: Peter King

Here's a stunner: NFL Competition Committee will consider a "modified sudden death'' rule at NFL Meetings in late March.

Competition Committee LIKELY will aim to force TD to win, but if 1st team kicks FG and 2nd team is scoreless, game over.

As Rich Eisen said, could be only for playoffs at first. Either that, or a vote for a 1-year "experiment,'' which is how replay began.

Twitter: Rich Eisen

It's coming, Peter. First team to 6 wins in overtime. I've heard they may try it in just the playoffs first. Would be great.

I think the OT rules being considered are the first team to get 6 points wins. One TD wins outright, but one FG isn't enough.

Last edited:
Re: Peter King: NFL Competition Committee will consider a "modified sudden death'' ru

Always good to see these leagues fixing the things that aren't broken and ignoring the real problems.

Re: Peter King: NFL Competition Committee will consider a "modified sudden death'' ru

I always thought it should be a MINIMUM of (1) possession each, who cares how many points?
If team A wins the toss, they get ball, if they score 3 points they kickoff to the other team(B), if team B scores 0 they lose, if they score 6 they win, if they score 3 then it's a tie and they kickoff, then whoever scores next wins.
7 points by team A would require 7 by team B or the game is over, this shouldn't be so difficult.

I don't think it should be the AMOUNT of pts, but just give BOTH teams at least 1 possession, after that it's been made a bit fairer than just a coin toss

I always thought it should be a MINIMUM of (1) possession each, who cares how many points?

Exactly.

There's many ways to accomplish that, but the whole point of changing OT rules would be to get equal posessions/chances.

Well at least it's better than, first team to get a FG wins. Cos that's just cheap.

Last edited:

Why does there have to be an extra overtime period with a coin toss?

If the game is tied why can't they just keep playing until someone scores?

If you have the ball at the end of regulation then you keep it right where you had it (with field switch).

Down and everything stays the same except for the clock which gets reset and the players switch field.

Last edited:

Why does there have to be an extra overtime period with a coin toss?

If the game is tied why can't they just keep playing until someone scores?

If you have the ball at the end of regulation then you keep it right where you had it (with field switch).

Down and everything stays the same except for the clock which gets reset and the players switch field.

Because then the team with the ball at the end of the 2nd half may not have the same restrictions as the team with the ball at the end of the 1st half. The 2nd half has to end as it does. They should just do another 2 mini-halfs at like 4 minutes each.

Both from a competitive and entertainment standpoint, I do want to see each team have an opportunity to score during an overtime. However they get there, I am fine with.

Last edited:

Always good to see these leagues fixing the things that aren't broken and ignoring the real problems.

Ok, what real problems should they concentrate on?

Someone posted this article in the VIP forum. I've always wanted a first team to score 6 points rule. Which according to that article is what they may be considering. Only they describe it as a TD is a win but, after only a FG the other team will get the ball. I don't know if that means they would only get 4 downs to score or what. Obviously it's all rumors at this point.

Someone posted this article in the VIP forum. I've always wanted a first team to score 6 points rule. Which according to that article is what they may be considering. Only they describe it as a TD is a win but, after only a FG the other team will get the ball. I don't know if that means they would only get 4 downs to score or what. Obviously it's all rumors at this point.

I always liked first to six, though i haven't really though it out. This "I keek a touchdown" stuff is lame after 60 minutes of hard fought football.

It'll be weird to see teams elect to kick-off, in some games.

It'll be weird to see teams elect to kick-off, in some games.

The Lions actually did that in 2002.

Needless to say, the Bears scored on their first possession and won the game.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I believe this past season had an even 50-50 split in teams who won the coin toss going on to win the game. This is nowhere near the problem some think it is.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I believe this past season had an even 50-50 split in teams who won the coin toss going on to win the game. This is nowhere near the problem some think it is.

Why would you say having a 3 second field goal decide a 60 minute football game indicates something isn't broke?

Why would you say having a 3 second field goal decide a 60 minute football game indicates something isn't broke?
Um, in every single sport when you have a tie game after regulation, in most cases the game is ultimately going to be decided by the thinnest of margins. I don't see why a FG shouldn't count.

The main thesis of those supporting a rule change is that it is "unfair" that the coin toss decides the outcome of a game. Ignoring the fact that no coin toss in history has ever decided the outcome of a game (games are decided by the plays on the field), the facts are that this is not the problem some people seem to think it is. Like I said, this past season teams tha won the coin toss went .500.

Last edited:

The Lions actually did that in 2002.

Needless to say, the Bears scored on their first possession and won the game.
Bill Parcells did it once on a windy day in East Rutherford - and won.

Um, in every single sport when you have a tie game after regulation, in most cases the game is ultimately going to be decided by the thinnest of margins. I don't see why a FG shouldn't count.

The main thesis of those supporting a rule change is that it is "unfair" that the coin toss decides the outcome of a game. Ignoring the fact that no coin toss in history has ever decided the outcome of a game (games are decided by the plays on the field), the facts are that this is not the problem some people seem to think it is. Like I said, this past season teams tha won the coin toss went .500.

The coin toss decides who has the bigger advantage. It's a fact that the receiving team in OT has an advantage. It hasn't been a huge issue (mainly due to the very small number of games that go to OT), but that doesn't mean it is fair.

It's not like discussing it or changing it is taking away from them doing something else. It's not at the top of the list of things to "fix", but it's not "perfect" like you seem to feel all rules in the NFL are.

If the only thing that matters was a 50/50 split, why not just flip the coin and not bother with the field goal?

I think needing a TD or two field goals would be more exciting and more indicative of the better team.

Perhaps they could go 7 v 7 for the OT ... open it right the heck up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots