PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King: Matt Walsh doesn't have "the goods" on the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
:confused:

that was my point---

irresponsible tabloid journalism

I think you guys don't really understand what reporting is. You seem to have an issue with Tomase reporting (on his BLOG, for God's sake) the blockbuster news - which it was - that this guy is making allegations and that he may know something. I know you don't like him, and you don't like the story, but your hyperventilating sure seems to miss the point of what was ACTUALLY reported.

I teach reporting at a university. I'm a grad of BU's comm. school.

Reporters hear rumors all the time. The entire league knew about this rumor for months.

In my judgement, those facts make this a case of bad reporting.

Anyone could do what Tomase did, but most had the humility not to.

About Peter King:

9. I think, if I had to guess, that a third of the owners in this league would prefer a new labor deal without a salary cap to the labor deal that exists now. That's dangerous for long-term league stability. Very dangerous. Expect the late-March league meeting in Palm Beach to be very much about that.

I was a bigger fan of the Red Sox in the 1980s than I was of the Patriots. I used to slip into the Fenway bleachers everyday after the 7th inning (for free because they'd open the gates). I loved the sport.

The free-agent spending ruined it for me. I could never ever shake this feeling. I still think of Curt Schilling and Ramirez as mercenaries. The 1986 debacle was not wiped away by the two world series championships (though coming back from 3-0 in the ALCS wiped away as a lot of psychic damage).

One of the reasons the NFL is by far and away my favorite league is because f the salary cap, and I very much appreciate Belichick's way of doing business.

Greed may make the NFL more popular if they do away with the cap, but I know for one I won't be paying as much attention to the sport if it happens, and I certainly won't be buying tickets to watch it live. I'll still tune in on Sundays, but part of me won't really care.

I wasn't that thrilled when the Sox beat the Cards and Rockies, whereas in 1986, the Oil Can Boyd victory in game 5 sent me over the top.

The NFL may get richer by doing this, by moving out of Buffalo and Jax, but I won't be impressed.

I think you guys don't really understand what reporting is. You seem to have an issue with Tomase reporting (on his BLOG, for God's sake) the blockbuster news - which it was - that this guy is making allegations and that he may know something. I know you don't like him, and you don't like the story, but your hyperventilating sure seems to miss the point of what was ACTUALLY reported.

I'm beginning to believe that you are either Tomase or a relative of his!::confused:

I'm beginning to believe that you are either Tomase or a relative of his!::confused:

How about Borges who would be a pig in s**t with this if he were still with the Globe.

Yes, although there were vague, unsubstantiated rumours of this from the first week of spygate from the haters at profootballtalk, it had never actually been reported on until Tomase did right before the Superbowl. Why? Probably because no journalist had anything other than the vague rumors to go on. Tomase jumped on the Spectre spygate bandwagon and as soon as the story hit print, ESPN went nuts with it making it their top story. All around ridiculous but it still goes back to Tomase.

Why do you continually stick up for Tomase? It seems whenever someone has something bad to say about him you're always there to "have his back".

Or maybe you don't. Bruce Allen has a great article about the coverage this team garnered over the course of an 18-1 season. Pretty sad. He also talks about your buddy John, and the part of his little power play you apparently didn't grasp. He wasn't repeating the Walsh story, he was citing another un named source with some sort of claim to vague knowledge of a taping...a source all the other media in this town were aware existed and all had deemed insufficicently credible to cite for the last four months. His reporting that became the secondary corroboration of sorts the national mediots could hang their hats on over the weekend as the combination of Goodell's responses and Specter's shenanigans were turning the Walsh pseudo story into a story too short on credibility to continue to run with.

It's a long piece and well worth the read. Here are some snipets outlining the general contention that this team deserved better than lousy tabloid coverage. And details of the nature and effect of Tomasse's hatchet piece:

"Let me first start by saying that this column was going to be written even if the Patriots had won on Sunday night. The only difference is that the column would’ve been entitled “The Most Miserable Perfect Season in History.”

On the field, this Patriots team was a fan’s dream. They were talented, charismatic and had an obvious flair for the dramatic. They had the highest scoring offense of all time, with the superstar quarterback and ridiculously gifted wide receiver each breaking high-profile NFL records in the process. They had a resourceful defense, which while aging, still had experience and guile unmatched by most units across the league.

Yet, in talking to a number of people, this was the least fun that they’ve had following football that they can ever remember.

What made it that way? Certainly not the games. The games - even the blowouts, were all marvelously entertaining.

It was the coverage of this team. Right from training camp, there was always something to pick at and criticize."

"The day before the Super Bowl, John Tomase ran a piece citing a single unnamed source stating that an unnamed person taped the walk-through practice of the St Louis Rams prior to the 2002 Super Bowl. This unnamed source did not know what the unnamed cameraman did with the tape, nor if this mystery person did this under instruction or on their own. This story garnered outrage across the country, with even former St Louis quarterback Kurt Warner speaking out. However, it was also reported that a telescope was spotted out of a window observing the Patriots practice, but that fact somehow didn’t generate the same outrage. The fact that the Rams went through red-zone formations in the walk-through and then converted their only red-zone possession into a touchdown in the Super Bowl has also been lost in the chaos.

Tomase took a beating on the Boston Herald comments section for his story. It was brutal, with some readers even threatening him. (The Herald has since shut down comments on the blog.) For a little while I felt sorry for him and even considered sending him a note to hang in there. Then as I noted that the item had been picked up by ESPN, CNN, NPR and every other media outlet known by an acronym, I realized that he didn’t need support. He knew what the local reaction would be, and went with it anyway. A few years back when writing for the Lawrence Eagle-Tribune, Tomase had written a piece on Red Sox slugger Manny Ramirez, which was not well received by most fans. However, the article made a bigger name for Tomase, who got sports radio appearances out of it, and then eventually a promotion to the Herald, where he ended up on the Patriots beat.

This story could be another stepping-stone for Tomase, as the story received national attention. But really, that’s how it has been the entire season. One person after another, out to break the big story, to make a name for themselves. Congratulations to all who achieved this noble goal this season.

It’s amazing to me that all these outlets truly believe that the type of coverage that we saw this season is what the people really want. Yes, none of this was by accident. They really believe that they’re giving the public what they want.

What they did was almost ruin a fantastically entertaining season - a on-field season like none other in NFL history. Even though it ended in bitter disappointment, the accomplishments of the 2007 Patriots will be remembered for decades. Yet, apparently there wasn’t enough going on on the field to keep people busy. They made a circus out the season, sucking out any joy that could be had from watching this marvelous team. We had it all here in front of us, and too often, we had to look away because someone else wanted to make their own name in front of us. They made following this team a miserable experience at times."

http://www.patriotsdaily.com/

Even if this spygate crap dies off for now and we don't hear much more about it, it will still be the first thing the media brings up all over again when football rolls around. Can the Pats use that again to build another great season on and finish the job this time or do they need something new?

Or maybe you don't. Bruce Allen has a great article about the coverage this team garnered over the course of an 18-1 season. Pretty sad. He also talks about your buddy John, and the part of his little power play you apparently didn't grasp.

Great, great article. He hit the nail on the head. And if it was this bad for fans, imagine being on the team. Thanks Tomase, for your HUGE part in our players being booed at the freakin' pro bowl. Way to go, hope you're proud of yourself and sleep well at night.

You are right . The pats are considered guilty till proven innocent.
That, unfortunately, is more the rule than the exception in today's world, not just as it applies to the Pats. Trial is not by jury but by the court of public opinion. The lessons of the Duke lacrosse case have been forgotten already.

Are you kidding me??

Was not in his blog (as others have pointed out), but front page stuff. The average reader now thinks this was all true - where is the proof, where are the facts and where is the story?? Aren't writers supposed to be above rumor mongering??

It was yellow journalism at it's worst - timed at the worst possible moment, meant to infuriate the team & fans for the simple reason of selling a few papers and getting a few website hits.

What kind of free press is this when you can report any rumor or story from a disgruntled ex-employee any time you want too - from a so called beat writer that people assumes has facts to back up what the guy was spewing.

Maybe I am off base here, but it seems to me the media business should be doing a better job of policing themselves or risk losing whatever credibility remains in the profession.
This is nothing new. Any media outlet can write whatever lies they want with no fear of repercussion, as long as they aren't doing it with the express purpose of hurting someone.

Ever see the movie, Absence of Malice, starring Paul Newman, made in 1981? That movie was about the lack of legal accountability of the media, and the harm it can do to people they write about. The journalism "profession" can write whatever they want and their victims have no legal recourse, unless they can prove the story was written with malicious intent. I imagine that is very difficult to prove.

Last edited:
Or maybe you don't. Bruce Allen has a great article about the coverage this team garnered over the course of an 18-1 season. Pretty sad. He also talks about your buddy John, and the part of his little power play you apparently didn't grasp.
What they did was almost ruin a fantastically entertaining season - a on-field season like none other in NFL history. Even though it ended in bitter disappointment, the accomplishments of the 2007 Patriots will be remembered for decades. Yet, apparently there wasn’t enough going on on the field to keep people busy. They made a circus out the season, sucking out any joy that could be had from watching this marvelous team. We had it all here in front of us, and too often, we had to look away because someone else wanted to make their own name in front of us. They made following this team a miserable experience at times."

Thanks for posting that Mo, I hadn't seen it before. Bruce Allen certainly nails it for me, as I've often said that NE fans and their athletes deserve better than what the local media provides!

Ever see the movie, Absense of Malice, starring Paul Newman, made in 1981? That movie was about the lack of legal accountability of the media, and the harm it can do to people they write about. The journalism "profession" can write whatever they want and their victims have no legal recourse, unless they can prove the story was written with malicious intent. I imagine that is very difficult to prove.

That's not quite correct. Absence of malice only plays a role when the person is already in the public eye.

That's not quite correct. Absence of malice only plays a role when the person is already in the public eye.
Thanks for the technical clarification, but isn't that a moot point since Belichick and the Patriots already ARE in the public eye?

Or maybe you don't. Bruce Allen has a great article about the coverage this team garnered over the course of an 18-1 season. Pretty sad. He also talks about your buddy John, and the part of his little power play you apparently didn't grasp. He wasn't repeating the Walsh story, he was citing another un named source with some sort of claim to vague knowledge of a taping...a source all the other media in this town were aware existed and all had deemed insufficicently credible to cite for the last four months. His reporting that became the secondary corroboration of sorts the national mediots could hang their hats on over the weekend as the combination of Goodell's responses and Specter's shenanigans were turning the Walsh pseudo story into a story too short on credibility to continue to run with.

It's a long piece and well worth the read. Here are some snipets outlining the general contention that this team deserved better than lousy tabloid coverage. And details of the nature and effect of Tomasse's hatchet piece:

"Let me first start by saying that this column was going to be written even if the Patriots had won on Sunday night. The only difference is that the column would’ve been entitled “The Most Miserable Perfect Season in History.”

On the field, this Patriots team was a fan’s dream. They were talented, charismatic and had an obvious flair for the dramatic. They had the highest scoring offense of all time, with the superstar quarterback and ridiculously gifted wide receiver each breaking high-profile NFL records in the process. They had a resourceful defense, which while aging, still had experience and guile unmatched by most units across the league.

Yet, in talking to a number of people, this was the least fun that they’ve had following football that they can ever remember.

What made it that way? Certainly not the games. The games - even the blowouts, were all marvelously entertaining.

It was the coverage of this team. Right from training camp, there was always something to pick at and criticize."

"The day before the Super Bowl, John Tomase ran a piece citing a single unnamed source stating that an unnamed person taped the walk-through practice of the St Louis Rams prior to the 2002 Super Bowl. This unnamed source did not know what the unnamed cameraman did with the tape, nor if this mystery person did this under instruction or on their own. This story garnered outrage across the country, with even former St Louis quarterback Kurt Warner speaking out. However, it was also reported that a telescope was spotted out of a window observing the Patriots practice, but that fact somehow didn’t generate the same outrage. The fact that the Rams went through red-zone formations in the walk-through and then converted their only red-zone possession into a touchdown in the Super Bowl has also been lost in the chaos.

Tomase took a beating on the Boston Herald comments section for his story. It was brutal, with some readers even threatening him. (The Herald has since shut down comments on the blog.) For a little while I felt sorry for him and even considered sending him a note to hang in there. Then as I noted that the item had been picked up by ESPN, CNN, NPR and every other media outlet known by an acronym, I realized that he didn’t need support. He knew what the local reaction would be, and went with it anyway. A few years back when writing for the Lawrence Eagle-Tribune, Tomase had written a piece on Red Sox slugger Manny Ramirez, which was not well received by most fans. However, the article made a bigger name for Tomase, who got sports radio appearances out of it, and then eventually a promotion to the Herald, where he ended up on the Patriots beat.

This story could be another stepping-stone for Tomase, as the story received national attention. But really, that’s how it has been the entire season. One person after another, out to break the big story, to make a name for themselves. Congratulations to all who achieved this noble goal this season.

It’s amazing to me that all these outlets truly believe that the type of coverage that we saw this season is what the people really want. Yes, none of this was by accident. They really believe that they’re giving the public what they want.

Thanks...it says it all in there...I really enjoy their look at the media and they have been doing this for some time, so they can see trends easier...

Or maybe you don't. Bruce Allen has a great article about the coverage this team garnered over the course of an 18-1 season. Pretty sad. He also talks about your buddy John, and the part of his little power play you apparently didn't grasp. He wasn't repeating the Walsh story, he was citing another un named source with some sort of claim to vague knowledge of a taping

Thanks for this Mo.......thanks to Bruce for framing everything perfectly.

Now, what can we all do about it?? I tried to boycott the Herald and I can't because I need to read all that is written about my favorite football team and they know this.

Is there any way to get the truth out and somehow get the message sent that the Tomase approach is simply not right in any sense of of the word. He just should not be rewarded for this crap.

He really did upset a number of people that derive enjoyment from watching this team play football on the Eve of the sports biggest game.

There must be some way for the fans of New England to get their point across and show support and appreciate for the team, coaches & ownership

Last edited:
Thanks for the technical clarification, but isn't that a moot point since Belichick and the Patriots already ARE in the public eye?

For the Pats, yes, it's a moot point. I just wanted to make it clear that it wasn't quite a blanket statement.

Like everyone else has said--it was on the front page of the Herald, not on his blog. He was quoted for 2 days on ESPN etc, who gave it more weight because it was the "Boston Herald, the hometown paper" blah blah.

You're either Tomase, a relative, or a plain out moron.

It's a disgrace for Matt Walsh, Tomase, Specter for trying to bring people down with a non-story.

No integrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back