Welcome to PatsFans.com

Peter King kinda awards the Pats the team of the decade

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Rob0729, Jul 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,379 / 13 / -5

From his MMQB column:

Peter King on Michael Vick, Brett Favre, NFL camps,*draft - Peter King - SI.com

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  2. xmarkd400x

xmarkd400x 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Reformatted table:
    HTML:
    Team         Reg. Season W-L    Playoff W-L    Total     SB W-L   Losing Years   Playoff Years
    New England   102-42            14-3          116-45       3-1         1                6
    Pittsburgh    94-49-1           10-4          104-53-1     2-0         1                6

3. Ryan

Ryan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I've seen a lot of Steeler fans (and some players) saying that they're the team of the decade already. I don't really get that one. The Pats have it locked up and if they win it all this year, they will be miles ahead.

4. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +181 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

Whats left off this discussion is the two AFC Championship wins we have over them.

Whenever there is discussion like this its rare that it can be settled on the field but this one already has been.

5. TCB

TCB Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't get it. Is this really a big deal? Are they presenting a trophy for "team of the decade"? Will not being declared TOTD diminish the accomplishments of either team?

6. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +1,379 / 13 / -5

It is a non-award award. It really doesn't matter. It is just something to talk about. The media cares and it does at least at times create some good discussion.

7. Bring Back Antowain!

Bring Back Antowain! Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Agreed. The fact of the matter is, the Patriots, this decade, are killing the Steelers.

The Patriots are 5-2 against them, and better yet, as you mentioned, 2-0 against them in the playoffs.

There is no question who the team of the decade is. And the fact that the Steelers, a team that has been at times quite inconsistent this decade, are even mentioned.

8. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +1,379 / 13 / -5

I think they want to dismiss the Pats' Super Bowl wins because of Spygate. Joey Porter has said that the Pats stole their dynasty. I am sure many other Steelers fans and players feel the same way. Who cares is my moto.

9. Bill B.

Bill B. Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Aren't we a year to early with this team of the decade talk. A decade would start at the year 1 and end at the year 10. Technically, the first year of this decade is 2001 and the last year is 2010. There is no year zero.

10. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +181 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

But I already rented the chairs.

11. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +777 / 20 / -18

No. The 1970s werent 1971-1980, they were 1970-1979. Same principal holds here ofr 00-09. The "00s" with next year starting the '10s'

12. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,700 / 76 / -75

Disable Jersey

Yes, but a lot of people don't understand how a decade actually works.

13. patsfaninpittsburgh

patsfaninpittsburgh Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

TCB

Not important for fans. However, as a player, it's nice to be part of a dynasty for future endorsements, appearances, opportunities.

Of of the Steel Curtain dudes said that the only teams never remembered are Super Bowl losers and teams that won only once.

Emmitt Smith doesn't get endorsements with this articulate insightful qualities.

14. Bill B.

Bill B. Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I had this same argument as to when the 21st century started. If you go back in time to when mankind started counting years you have to ask yourself, "Was there a year 0?" Did the year 1 BC precede the year 1 AD? No one really knows but if you look at it mathematically, the decade should start at the year one and ends at year 10.

15. Bartmac36

Bartmac36 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No matter what happens, the Pats own the title...they have a winning record vs. Pittsburgh, especially in the playoffs...they are the team everyone will remember 20 years from now, not the Steelers...

16. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,700 / 76 / -75

Disable Jersey

If Pittsburgh goes 19-0 and the Patriots don't make the playoffs, I don't think you can claim the Patriots are the team of the decade. Hell, unless the Patriots lose the AFCCG in that scenario, I think you have to give it to Pittsburgh.

17. madmike77

madmike77 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If the Steelers don't win the SB this year it's definitely the Pats decade.

If the Steelers do win, then it's sort of the Pats decade. Yeah they'd likely have the better record, but with both teams winning 3 SBs you couldn't really say there was a dominant team.

Not sure why it really matters anyway. Both teams have had good runs.

18. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +518 / 0 / -3

We're kind of beating a dead horse here since this has been discussed multiple times in the last month or two, but if the Colts are eliminated due to having less Super Bowl victories, then doesn't the same logic apply to the Steelers? And if Pittsburgh does does win the next Super Bowl, then wouldn't the Pats still win any tiebreakers such as # of conference championships, overall won-loss record, playoff record, and head-to-head record - especially those two AFC championship games?

Right now I think I could make a better case for the Colts being the second best NFL team this decade than for the Steelers being the best.

19. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +107 / 2 / -3

I'm fine with all the media - and fans - waiting until the end of this season to decide anything... that being said, understanding they're grasping for anything to talk about before training camps start, I understand their point that even if the Steelers tie the Pats with 3 SB rings this decade, the Pats will still have appeared in one more Super Bowl, effectively breaking that "tie".

20. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +819 / 12 / -2

#12 Jersey

While this is technically correct, when you're talking about the "team of the 2000s", 2000 is in the 2000s and 2010 isn't. The 2000s aren't determined by the fact that they started at a precise 10 year interval after when we first started marking off time. It's just the 10 year span that starts with the numbers 2, 0, and 0. So the real answer, I guess, is that you can't universally claim either answer (2001-2010 or 2000-2009) as the end-all for what constitutes "the decade". It really depends on what definition you're starting with, and most people start with 2000-2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.