PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King: It smacked of I'm-smarter-than-they-are hubris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Peter King :It smacked of I'm-smarter-than-they-are hubris

a bills fan is actually arguing agaisnt king on his twiiter page

Sky Kalkman (BtB_Sky) on Twitter

# Indy had two 4th Q TDs prior to Pats 4th&2. Both were 79 yards. They took 2:05 and 1:49. Neither used a timeout. (Via AdvNFLStats comment.) about 2 hours ago from TweetDeck

# @8949ers @SI_PeterKing 65 yards is THAT much more difficult than 30 yards? And if Colts score fast from 30, Brady has time for shot at FG. about 2 hours ago from TweetDeck
# @SI_PeterKing I don't support BB b/c he's BB. 1) I'm a Bills fan. 2) That's poor analysis. 3) Advanced NFL Stats: Belichick's 4th Down Decision vs the Colts about 2 hours ago from TweetDeck in reply to SI_PeterKing
# @SI_PeterKing And to everyone wondering why coaches don't go that route more often, well, would YOU want to deal with this level of outrage? about 2 hours ago from TweetDeck in reply to SI_PeterKing
# @SI_PeterKing The argument isn't "who are we to question great master", the argument is "it was the right move, even if it didn't work out." about 2 hours ago from TweetDeck in reply to SI_PeterKing

That is the dumbest opinion you will ever hear on this.

It was a simple decision - he didn't think his D would stop the Colts no matter where they got the ball. I didn't either. Neither did anyone I know. Honestly, no one watching that game did.

In the NFL coaching circles, coaching in a way you know will result in losing because that is what everyone does is more respected than playing to win. It is crazy but it is true.

It is in the best interest of coaches to make conventional decisions that will not draw criticism, even if the net effect is more losses. This is not limited to football, of course. Many of us make decisions based on avoiding the bad outcome, rather than trying to achieve the best outcome. It's just human nature.

Do not get the arrogance angle, if it worked would that decision have been arrogant????

Peter King to the contrary, I think BB thought the play would work, and according to some of the angles on the replays--and my lying eyes--it did.

Peter, in your case at the very least, it IS a I'm smarter than you move, everything BB does is

it smacked of "let's try and win the game right now instead of giving peyton the ball with over a minute left." I wanted them to go for it and I could have sworn he got the first down

He did get the first down, by about a half-yard. You can see the inside official coming over to mark it at about the 31 yard line, and between him and the outside official, the only one of them that could actually see when Faulk had control of the ball was the inside official. Yet the spot ended up where the *outside* official had it.

They had it completely wrong.

He did get the first down, by about a half-yard. You can see the inside official coming over to mark it at about the 31 yard line, and between him and the outside official, the only one of them that could actually see when Faulk had control of the ball was the inside official. Yet the spot ended up where the *outside* official had it.

They had it completely wrong.

I didn't happen to notice that, but have seen it mentioned several times. I watched the replay enough times focusing on the play, but don't really feel up to it looking again, since I think he got it. :mad: Anyway, just out of curiosity, can someone explain to me how that works? Is there some kind of hierarchy with the officials that determines which one gets the last say? I admit to being clueless about the protocol. Thanks!

Last edited:

Actually, it smacked of : "I can't stop you on defense so I'm going to try one play to win it". Nothing more, nothing less, certainly not "I'm smarter than you". If Belichick thought he had them outsmarted he'd have dared them to march 60-70 yards on his defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back