Peter King gives props to the Pats o-line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
From his MMQB:

2. The Patriots are going to be an aerial show bordering on Indy's style this year. The most impressive thing, by far, in the Pats' 38-14 drubbing of their arch-rivals, the Jets, was not the rebirth of Randy Moss. (Though that was impressive enough, obviously.) But I don't recall an offensive line being as dominant and as manically focused on keeping the pressure off the quarterback. Left tackle Matt Light, by my unofficial count, didn't let in a single leak from the right side of the Jets' front seven all afternoon.

"We didn't get as much pressure, I think, because of how the running game was working,'' said Light. "They couldn't tee off and attack the run because Tom was able to do so much in the passing game today.''

Brady is going to make beautiful music with Moss, but remember one thing about the way Brady plays and the way Bill Belichick coaches: They don't go out of their way to funnel the ball to any one receiver, and I can promise you they won't make Moss a 1,700-yard, 21-TD guy. Brady will spray the ball around.

Certainly Brady knows not to ignore Moss. But if the Chargers whack the tar out of the wiry receiver early next week, don't think for a second that Brady won't switch to Wes Welker or Donte' Stallworth. It's a hallmark of the Pats, who think stars are all well and good, but not necessary to have in great quantities in order to win.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/09/09/Week1/1.html

Offensive Players of the Week

New England LT Matt Light, LG Logan Mankins, C Dan Koppen, RG Steven Neal, RT Nick Kaczur, for a brilliant job of keeping Brady clean against a good Jets front seven. Well, at least we thought it was good. The Pats ran for 134 yards.

Brady went back to pass 29 times. Once he scrambled for four yards. Twenty-eight times he threw, completing 22 for three touchdowns and a top-notch 146.6 quarterback rating. In those 29 pass-drops, the Jets hit Brady one time. ONCE!

They definitely had tight end help in some max-protect situations because they were determined to give Brady time, but it was mainly on the shoulders of these five guys.

"You know how it is,'' Light said over the phone afterward. "I'm sure when we look at the tape, we'll see we did some things wrong. It's never as good as you think it is after a game like this, and it's never as bad as it seems when you think you've played bad.''

Earth to Matt: Not even Belichick will be able to find more than a tidbit or two bad about that performance.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/09/09/Week1/3.html

They were awesome. If they keep it up this week against SD then look out rest of NFL.

Last edited:
Got to disagree with Peter King on one point. I believe that Brady and BB are going to give Moss opportunities to make plays every game. So Moss may have games with only 1 or 2 catches, but I don't think he will have many games with less than 6-8 attempts thrown his way.

Just...a little...bump. good stuff and I don't want to miss it later. Thanks for understanding.

While I loved how the Pats O-line played yesterday, lets be honest. The Jets Front 3 is mediocre and really didn't challenge the Pats. In fact, I was surprised at how vanilla the Jets defense was. I don't remember seeing any stunts or delayed blitzes. And those are two things the SD Chargers Front 7 do extremely well.

Although I do have to admit that I am not impressed with the Jets defense at all, the o-line play would be considered spectacular no matter how bad the defense was. I have seen a lot of great o-lines play against some bad defenses with worse results.

I'm happy to see the OL get praised by PK but...
Something should be said about the Pats using the max protect
with 6 OL and 2 TE. I don't know if he noticed this or not.
Don't know how ofteN they used this alignment but I sure wouldn't mind seeing it for SD.

I'm happy to see the OL get praised by PK but...
Something should be said about the Pats using the max protect
with 6 OL and 2 TE. I don't know if he noticed this or not.
Don't know how ofteN they used this alignment but I sure wouldn't mind seeing it for SD.

The good thing is with better WRs, we can use more max protection. The good news about the Chargers is that their weakest point on defense are their CBs. I don't think Jammer can go one on one with Moss.

While I loved how the Pats O-line played yesterday, lets be honest. The Jets Front 3 is mediocre and really didn't challenge the Pats. In fact, I was surprised at how vanilla the Jets defense was. I don't remember seeing any stunts or delayed blitzes. And those are two things the SD Chargers Front 7 do extremely well.

I think the play-side safety had a delayed blitz on Welker's TD, but we shouldn't compare the Jets and Chargers Ds, as the latter will provide a much bigger test next week. One aspect that made me happy was that now the Pats can max protect and still have WRs that can get open in one-on-one coverage, unlike most of last year.

I'm not sure the Jets really have the right front 3 for the 3-4, especially Robertson. And the 3-4 is anchored on the NT. Vilma is a great player, but he's too small for the 3-4. Probably why we saw all those jumbo packages with O'Callahan as TE.

R

Signbabybrady wants to give major props to the O-line, That was as dominant a proformance as I can remember from our O-line both running and passing.

As for those that question how much the jets blitzed, they didn't go crazy but they were bringing 4 and 5 pretty consistantly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back