PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter king continues on the videogate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just reading the threads on how the NFL shut down the investigation quickly by announcing the tapes had been destroyed following the leaked videotape, has anyone seen this theory as a possible explantion tying all the pieces together:

-- Goodell finds out from BB's meeting that he has been making tapes for years, and that he sees the loophole. We beleive BB didn't deny or skirt doing any of this, probably volunteered everything.

-- Goodell doesn't buy it, sets the penalty, and decides for eternal level playing field he has to request all the tapes be sent to the NFL.

-- Goodell also doesn't see any benefit to keeping 100's of hours of these tapes, and decides to destroy them

-- Goodell anticipates the Easterbrook-King reaction like this was destruction of evidence in a court case

--Thus, and this is the kicker, rather than an inadvertent leak of the Jets tape, this was intentionally done by Goodell (perhaps via his wife's connections to Fox) so the world did see one instance of the taping, the latest one BB was nailed for.

-- So now, while a small fringe of media wants all the disclosure, 99% of the world assumes the destroyed material is exactly like the material which somehow "slipped out" from the NFl office.

Hey Man, all I know is you guys think I'm nuts, but PK, EASTERBROOK, SCOOP, Sports Talk Radio guys, and a FEW posters here are in my same corner.

Wow, that's some great company you have there. Who could possibly argue with those guys?
:bricks: :bricks: :bricks:

I do get pissed at people who act as though stealing signs was in itself "cheating" - because it's not cheating to steal signs. I don't even like it when the entire affair is referred to as a "cheating scandal" because it wasn't about "cheating" (as I see it). It was an infraction of the rules, but it's no more cheating than offensive holding is "cheating".

I couldn't agree more.

For me, this whole thing was like getting bagged going 30 in a 25 MPH speed zone. It's hardly ever enforced, nobody obeys it, and if you are unlucky enough to get caught, you pay the penalty and move on, because you did, in fact, speed. (Unfortunately, it wasn't a slap on the wrist. It seems there was a new sheriff in town and he friggin' seized your Corvette! ) :mad:

IMO, this "story" is the product of incompetent reporting and jealous piling on. It will pass and the Pats will continue to prosper!

Although we certainly enjoy your loud-mouthed charm, we already know that some big-name writers and scandal-mongering talk radio guys are in your corner. We know that; what do you think we have been talking about here, over the noise? We also know that there are many intelligent football people who see the matter as we do. We may be outnumbered at times, but we are not alone.

It doesn't matter to us, not because we are blind, but because we are secure. Secure enough to recognize irresponsible journalism, and secure enough to admit the faults of our team's head coach while also acknowledging his strengths. Your opinion is your own, and you're welcome to it; but your childish mocking and shouting is unlikely to change any minds, because while we understand where it comes from, we powerfully disagree.

Excelllent.....EXCELLENT commentary! I believe 99.9% of us see HeBanMe as a man with an agenda. Why else would he use such a provocative screen name? Some people just like to get others pissed off and HBM is surely one of THOSE types.

I have found it amazing, amusing and at times, shocking the vast number of media members and opposing fans alike who have made it clear they want the Patriots "Taken Down". It's almost as if they won't accept anything less. Which is strange because the FACT is, no matter what they write and no matter what they think, nothing more is going to change regarding this issue...PERIOD.

I don't understand how others can't see that this whole thing just wasn't a big deal. It is a fact that other teams have done it...they ALL know this! So can someone please tell me how they just refuse to see it wasn't a big deal and that the Pats are to some extent, being used as an example?

The entire purpose of the major media outlets is to sell magazines, ad space, commercial time, etc. Anything they can do to turn a non-story into a story full of suspense/drama/intrigue or whatever is in their financial interest.

The only downside is later down the road when they might get called out for being irresponsible, rumor-mongering hacks. But that's really not at all a concern in the sports media - they never, EVER get held to anything they say, at least not in an accountable way. If the team they pick preseason to go all the way ends up at the bottom of the league, nobody remembers. And with this story, the backlash is even less likely to have any major impact, since multiple, major networks are saying basically the same thing.

Nobody gets fired for "shoddy journalism" in the sports media the way they do in news media. The only things you get fired for are a) not being interesting/exciting enough, or b) major egg-on-face incidents like with Rush Limbaugh. It's not about truth vs. falsehood, it's about excitement vs. boredom.

I hate to say it, but as long as there are a large number of Pats haters among NFL fans, writers are going to sh*t on the Pats, because they know that's what people want to hear.

For those interested in totally unsupported conspiracy theories, here goes:

Patriots' sideline staff used video taping not only to steal signs, but maybe also to ID opposing team members who were doing the same thing. Why not use the same camera for both espionage and counter-espionage? If it helps to know the opposing team's defensive signals, wouldn't it also help to know if (and how) the opposing team is trying to obtain the same information from you? The tapes may not have revealed any further rules violations by the Patriots, but they may have revealed similar practices by other teams. Could it be that RG opened a can of worms, and has since tried to make the whole thing go away as quickly and quietly as possible?

Every head coach and owner now know that if they are caught cheating the league could destroy the evidence and leave the team with a permanently tarnished record. That's clearly intended to be a very strong incentive not to cheat.

The Pat's haters are vindicated, Belichick's record is tarnished, and the league said it's time to move on. However King apparently believes the media were unfairly deprived of the opportunity to drudge up Belichick's past record in endless fits of speculation. Too bad.

Although we certainly enjoy your loud-mouthed charm, we already know that some big-name writers and scandal-mongering talk radio guys are in your corner. We know that; what do you think we have been talking about here, over the noise? We also know that there are many intelligent football people who see the matter as we do. We may be outnumbered at times, but we are not alone.

It doesn't matter to us, not because we are blind, but because we are secure. Secure enough to recognize irresponsible journalism, and secure enough to admit the faults of our team's head coach while also acknowledging his strengths. Your opinion is your own, and you're welcome to it; but your childish mocking and shouting is unlikely to change any minds, because while we understand where it comes from, we powerfully disagree.
Screw that "powerfully disagree" bull****. Irresponsible only because it puts your team in a bad light, simple as that. So, boldface is better than CAPS??

Screw that "powerfully disagree" bull****. Irresponsible only because it puts your team in a bad light, simple as that. So, boldface is better than CAPS??

:blahblah: :blahblah: :bricks:

Well, I like it better, but to each...

Plenty of people on here have discussed why we find the reportage of GE and PK irresponsible on this. Not everyone on here does. But really, it'd be more fun to just talk football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back