Peter King article

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
• New England 19, New York Jets 10

Matty Ice.

In the New England locker room after the game, Matt Cassel had a smile so wide it looked like it was painted on. It wouldn't leave his face. He can say what he wants, as can the Patriots, but they never really knew what they had in Cassel, except that he was experienced. But after quarterbacking New England for seven quarters, here is what they have:

· A 71 percent passer.

· A manager of the game who, above all, has minimized negative plays. He's thrown zero interceptions and lost zero fumbles, though he has taken too many sacks (five) and sometimes must be more decisive in throwing the ball away when he's got nothing.

· A cautious player. He'll eventually have to take some chances and be bolder. If he doesn't, New England will lose games against teams with competent defenses that have productive offensive days. But for now, cautious is better than impetuous.

Bill Belichick wants Cassel to steer the ship. In the Meadowlands, he led the Patriots to five scoring drives in eight possessions, and on the ninth and final possession of the day, he did what the Patriots dreamed he'd do but probably didn't think actually would happen. He knelt on the ball for the final play of the game, before a two-thirds-empty stadium.

On fourth-and-three from the New York 29 with 1:56 left, out of the shotgun, he had dumped a safe five-yarder to Wes Welker to get a new set of downs and seal the game. He didn't try to do too much, just end the game. If he keeps doing that, he might invite comparisons to the last unknown quarterback the Patriots thrust in the lineup after an injury to a famous quarterback. But let's not go there yet. Way, way, way too early.

He JUST CAN'T bring himself to say Cassel is showing up VERY well.

When comparing him to other rook starters, we must remember he wasn't first-team practicing until last week.

I think he's doing great and will keep going up.

Last edited:
Re: Peter King ALMOST admits he's a nimrod. Almost.

I don't understand what you are all worked up about or what you read. All he is saying is that he is not ready to compare him to Brady's first season, but if he keeps playing headsy ball, pundits will start to compare.

Last edited:
Re: Peter King ALMOST admits he's a nimrod. Almost.

I don't understand what you are all worked up about or what you read. All he is saying is that he is not ready to compare him to Brady's first season, but if he keeps playing headsy ball, pundits will start to compare.

Yep. As someone else recently admitted about themselves, I apply to myself.

My arse outran my brain. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye