PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pete Prisco: "Old and slow linebacking corps will hurt Patriots' chances"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pete Prisco: "Old and slow Linebacking corps will hurt Patriots chances"

That said, if I ever hear another Colts fan whining about Roman Phifer grazing Marcus Pollard or whoever, in a game DOMINATED by the Patriots, I reserve the right to rip off his head and shank down his neck. How's that?

Works for me.

You talk about choking?

How about the years of 2003-2004 and 2005 for the Colts?

Seems to me the Colts were one of the biggest favorites ever in the AFC playoffs in that game a few years ago against Pittsburgh and blew it at home - NOW THAT IMO WAS THE BIGGEST CHOKE IN HISTORY!

Can you say LOSS-LOSS-LOSS in AFC playoffs each of those years of 03-04-05? - All of which they were expected to win those games?

Finally Manning and his guys win the super bowl against a lousy QB in Grossman and now you are all giddy and ****y about the Colts?

I hope you cherished last year,It won't happen again till you have collected your social security check.

Don't forget the 2002 POs; 41-0 loss vs. the jest.

Souhnds like a bunch of whining and excuses to me. Here are the facts I know

1.) Patriots had the biggest choke in Conference championship history (100% True and verified)

2) The Colts beat the Patriots and are the current and defending Superbowl Champions (100% true and verified)

You keep brinnging up these "circumstances" (That NO player who played in the game for the Pats has ever come close yo verifying) just sound like bad excuses to me. You keep playing the if, and, and but game and trying to push it off as fact. Just accept the better team won the game and the SB and stop pushing this list of excuses
I don't blame you for riding this pony as long as you can because the Pats handed the Colts their collective ***e$ for so long. Enjoy it for now because the ride is about to end!

Why would I need to address the 2007 Patriots, the comment I responded to had nothing to do with the 07 Pats but the reseults of the 06 season. So tell me why I would need to provide any new insight on the 07 team???

What I was referring to is the previous comments that seem to be reaccuring about all the Injuries the pats had (because no other team especially the colts has ever had injuries) or how hot it was in the dome (because both teams didn't play in the exact same conditions) or how bad the flu bug was (because we all know the colts are immune to sickness and not ONE player on that team could have also been sick or had any sort of ailment) Not to mention almost ZERO of these claims have ever been backed up by a Pats player

So yes, it's all just a bunch of excuses, now I was addressing the posters making these type of comments and not the entire patriots fanbase obviously

Because this thread was about the 2007 NE Patriots, specifically the defense. This thread wasn't about the Colts.

While the 2006 AFC championship game is the basis for Prisco's analysis, we don't require you to remind us who won. The question is, how predicative was it?

Do you think the NE defense succumbing to the Colts offense means NE is toast against other teams with weaker offenses? Do you think the additions of Thomas and Merriweather aren't enough to mitigate the slowness and depth issues NE had in that game? Do you think NE will likely be missing so many starters if/when NE and Indy play again? Do you think it happens the same way if NE has homefield advantage (I'm not saying they will, just that it is a possibility which makes judging everything on one game a little silly)?

Rather than playground taunt, do you think Prisco is right or not? Was that game a good predictor of what can be expected from NE's defense this year? Why?

Vrabel, Colvin, Thomas aren't that old. They may not be young but they aren't old - they're in their prime.

Prisco's nothing but a gossip columnist-alot of the things he says he does it to get attention.

Because this thread was about the 2007 NE Patriots, specifically the defense. This thread wasn't about the Colts.

While the 2006 AFC championship game is the basis for Prisco's analysis, we don't require you to remind us who won. The question is, how predicative was it?

Do you think the NE defense succumbing to the Colts offense means NE is toast against other teams with weaker offenses? Do you think the additions of Thomas and Merriweather aren't enough to mitigate the slowness and depth issues NE had in that game? Do you think NE will likely be missing so many starters if/when NE and Indy play again? Do you think it happens the same way if NE has homefield advantage (I'm not saying they will, just that it is a possibility which makes judging everything on one game a little silly)?

Rather than playground taunt, do you think Prisco is right or not? Was that game a good predictor of what can be expected from NE's defense this year? Why?

Well i didn't want to turn this into a Patriots vs Colts analysis but I guess you baited me.

I think NE will stay as one of the top teams in the AFC for atleast 2-3 more seasons before any dropoff, problem is I think the colts will remain at the top for that many seasons and more. Do I think Merriweather and Thomas were good aquistions?? yes I do. But I do however think that the addition of Gonzales and Addai taking more carries will completely open up the offense again. Last year Dallas Clark was playing slot receiver and TE and the Colts offense was rather "limited" the entire season minus Brandon Stokley and without having the 3-wide set that drives Defenses insane. Even without this the Colts still has the most efficient and arguably the best offense in the league last year

Do i think homefield advantage mattered? Well considering the Colts already marched into NE and beat the Pats only a few weeks earlier not as much as you must think it did.

Was New England Injuried? Yes they were. Were the Colts?? Simon had been long gone, Reagor was out for the season, Mike Doss?, he's gone, Stokley? he had been gone. Harper was still banged up I believe. Everyone has injuries they have to deal with in their own ways.

Do I think Prisco is right? Of course we all know completely deciding who is better team based off of one game is ridiculous. However taking one game and using it as analysis for future problems a team may face is not and I think thats more of what he was doing

Last edited:

Well i didn't want to turn this into a Patriots vs Colts analysis but I guess you baited me.

I think NE will stay as one of the top teams in the AFC for atleast 2-3 more seasons before any dropoff, problem is I think the colts will remain at the top for that many seasons and more. Do I think Merriweather and Thomas were good aquistions?? yes I do. But I do however think that the addition of Gonzales and Addai taking more carries will completely open up the offense again. Last year Dallas Clark was playing slot receiver and TE and the Colts offense was rather "limited" the entire season minus Brandon Stokley and without having the 3-wide set that drives Defenses insane. Even without this the Colts still has the most efficient and arguably the best offense in the league last year

Do i think homefield advantage mattered? Well considering the Colts already marched into NE and beat the Pats only a few weeks earlier not as much as you must think it did.

Was New England Injuried? Yes they were. Were the Colts?? Simon had been long gone, Reagor was out for the season, Mike Doss?, he's gone, Stokley? he had been gone. Harper was still banged up I believe. Everyone has injuries they have to deal with in their own ways.

Do I think Prisco is right? Of course we all know completely deciding who is better team based off of one game is ridiculous. However taking one game and using it as analysis for future problems a team may face is not and I think thats more of what he was doing

Thank you for (somewhat) answering my questions. I don't see where I baited you into discussing the Colts, but whatever. I agree that NE's defense was dead in the 2nd half against Indy and the team paid for it, and that Indy's offense will be just as good (or even better) this year so NE will have to do something differently.

My point was just that it's silly to look at a great defense (#2 in the whole freaking league last year) and say it's faulty because of one game. Too much comes into play.

P.S. RE: injuries. You still aren't getting my point. Injuries are not an excuse, and any real NE fan knows that. My point was that you can't predict based off a team riddled with them. If Prisco wants to look at a unit that was missing it's top 3 or 4 safeties, 2 starting LBs (I believe Colvin went down in that game), and featured a fairly ineffective Seymour (there were probably more injuries, I just don't remember them because it's not really worth thinking about. they lost.) and predict based off of that then he must either think the same thing will happen this year or is doing a lazy job. I'm not saying the loss is in any way invalidated by it. I'm saying that predictions based on that loss are suspect unless they assume a similar level of injuries.

Thank you for (somewhat) answering my questions. I don't see where I baited you into discussing the Colts, but whatever. I agree that NE's defense was dead in the 2nd half against Indy and the team paid for it, and that Indy's offense will be just as good (or even better) this year so NE will have to do something differently.

My point was just that it's silly to look at a great defense (#2 in the whole freaking league last year) and say it's faulty because of one game. Too much comes into play.

P.S. RE: injuries. You still aren't getting my point. Injuries are not an excuse, and any real NE fan knows that. My point was that you can't predict based off a team riddled with them. If Prisco wants to look at a unit that was missing it's top 3 or 4 safeties, 2 starting LBs (I believe Colvin went down in that game), and featured a fairly ineffective Seymour (there were probably more injuries, I just don't remember them because it's not really worth thinking about. they lost.) and predict based off of that then he must either think the same thing will happen this year or is doing a lazy job. I'm not saying the loss is in any way invalidated by it. I'm saying that predictions based on that loss are suspect unless they assume a similar level of injuries.

Frankly-it was just a darn good coaching job by Dungy. Down 21-3 with a few minutes left, was patient to drive it down for a FG, knowing they'll be down by 2 scores going in AND getting the ball to start the second half, only to start it off with a patient, long 15 minute drive. And boom-his D was fresh to start the second half, with the crowd going nuts.

Like I said, it WASN'T bad D by the Pats, it was just Dungy's best coaching decision to date, IMHO.

Last edited:

Frankly-it was just a darn good coaching job by Dungy. Down 21-3 with a few minutes left, was patient to drive it down for a FG, knowing they'll be down by 2 scores going in AND getting the ball to start the second half, only to start it off with a patient, long 15 minute drive. And boom-his D was fresh to start the second half, with the crowd going nuts.

Like I said, it WASN'T bad D by the Pats, it was just Dungy's best coaching decision to date, IMHO.

No, the defense blew

Which they wouldn't have had a chance to do in the first place if not for a ridiculous offensive PI on Troy Brown.

I give Indy credit; they capitalized on their opportunities. My beef has always been that they were handed several of those opportunities by horrible officiating.

Which they wouldn't have had a chance to do in the first place if not for a ridiculous offensive PI on Troy Brown.

I give Indy credit; they capitalized on their opportunities. My beef has always been that they were handed several of those opportunities by horrible officiating.

But hasn't this argument and counter-argument been done enough at these forums?? :confused:

But hasn't this argument and counter-argument been done enough at these forums?? :confused:

It wouldn't continuously be brought up if you damn Colt fans would, I dunno, stay on the damn Colt boards.

Also, it's not an argument...it's a statement of facts.

Last edited:

Here is the difference:

*********DISCLAIMER*****************

I have never had an Indy fan logically respond to this. It is either completely ignored or they respond with some comment about whining. I honestly don't expect otherwise anymore, but I will try again.

1) The first Indy/NE AFCCG was officiated consistently. Notice that I didn't say "fairly" because it was clear that both teams bent the rules a little. NE definitely got away with some IC, but Indy got away with plenty of OL holds and they were given three full seconds after the play clock hit zero on two seperate occasions. The officials didn't call anything it was consistent.

2) Your jack off of a GM actually was politicing for calls the week before the game. He is a dispicable human being.

3) Despite Polian's complaints that the officials need to call illegal contact, it was Indy that benefited from all three questionable calls. The improper OPI call on Brown when the defender initiated all the contact, the PI call on Hobbs and the worst of them all, the no call on Hayden when he literally grabbed Caldwell with both hands before the ball even appeared on the screen.

Let's review: The Patriots are called for a terribly ticky tack call that the league ultimately admits to Hobbs was incorrect. The Colts are twice allowed to essentially deck the WR without being flagged - actually one got NE flagged!. What I find truly amazing is that the plays that Indy got away with were precisely what Polian was asking the league to call! But beyond that, the calls were embassingly inconsistent. If you want to call the Hobbs call, fine. But then NE has to get both the other ones.

Yes, this is whining. But it is also the truth. Colt fans spent three years complaining about a game that was consistently called, but they scoff at NE fans when the lament about a game that was clearly called in Indy's favor? If you want to call NE fans hypocrites then you must also be willing to look in the mirror.

Last edited:

Here is the difference:

I have never had an Indy fan logically respond to this. It is either completely ignored or they respond with some comment about whining. I honestly don't expect otherwise anymore, but I will try again.

1) The first Indy/NE AFCCG was officiated consistently. Notice that I didn't say "fairly" because it was clear that both teams bent the rules a little. NE definitely got away with some IC, but Indy got away with plenty of OL holds and they were given three full seconds after the play clock hit zero on two seperate occasions. The officials didn't call anything it was consistent.

2) Your jack off of a GM actually was politicing for calls the week before the game. He is a dispicable human being.

3) Despite Polian's complaints that the officials need to call illegal contact, it was Indy that benefited from all three questionable calls. The improper OPI call on Brown when the defender initiated all the contact, the PI call on Hobbs and the worst of them all, the no call on Hayden when he literally grabbed Caldwell with both hands before the ball even appeared on the screen.

Let's review: The Patriots are called for a terribly ticky tack call that the league ultimately admits to Hobbs was incorrect. The Colts are twice allowed to essentially deck the WR without being flagged - actually one got NE flagged!. What I find truly amazing is that the plays that Indy got away with were precisely what Polian was asking the league to call! But beyond that, the calls were embassingly inconsistent. If you want to call the Hobbs call, fine. But then NE has to get both the other ones.

Yes, this is whining. But it is also the truth. Colt fans spent three years complaining about a game that was consistently called, but they scoff at NE fans when the lament about a game that was clearly called in Indy's favor? If you want to call NE fans hypocrites then you must also be willing to look in the mirror.

This, my Indianapolis friends, is called an ass-kicking. Now get get your shinebox.

The refs made a bad call with the Hobbs PI call but I think the loss was primarily due to the D running out of gas in the 2nd half. Playing a tough game in SD the week before sure didn't help as well.

Forget what I said. You were talking about the AFCCG. :D

Last edited:

Here is the difference:

Absolutely not true, and that is fact.

Here is the difference:

Sanders YANK on Clarks arm in the end zone took away four points.

Troy Brown RAN INTO, and PICKED our D, great call.

Gaffney's "push out" was as big a gift as there has ever been.

PI, league admitted? Bull****. Reported by some bogus Pats publication. Dude was burned, Reggie attempts to catch, Hobbs runs into him, preventing the catch. I don't give a **** if face guarding is not called anymore, no way Hobbs should benefit from his poor defense on that play.

Stop your *****ing and move the hell on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back