PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pete Prisco: "Old and slow linebacking corps will hurt Patriots' chances"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pete Prisco's Opinion on the Pats (LMAO)

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10319886

He's judging our Defense base on one half's performance vs. The Colts (LOL).

What an Ass!!!!.

Geeee, I wonder if he knows that the Colts won the Super Bowl with the League's Worst Run-D, and that We set the franchise record last year for Fewest Points allowed in Franchise History.

The REAL reasons why we lost & gave up 32 points in the 2nd half is:

1) Our D. was Decimated by Injuries.

2) Peyton Manning and the Colts O. (2 much for our 2nd stringers).

3) RCA Dome (aka the Steambath).

4) Reche Caldwell (aka Da Blind Bat).

5) Poor Officiating (Nice Job Guys).

Do I hear excuses? We were beaten by the Colts. No more no less.

Its amazing how when people talk about facts (though #4 is not a fact), people claim its an excuse. Sorry, its not. Its just fact.

And the poor officiating is supported by the FACT that Hobbs got an apology letter from the league saying that the call was incorrect. I have no idea of Caldwell received one regarding the mauling he took from Hayden,. but he should have.

Re: Pete Prisco: "Old and slow Linebacking corps will hurt Patriots chances"

Even though they are a bit up in age I will still take our experienced big game linebackers of Seau,Bruschi and Vrabel over all others in our division except maybe Jonathan Vilma and Zach Thomas (also up there in age a bit).

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10319886/rss

Possibly, but age hasn't seemed to slow Miami's linebackers.

Whatever Pete.
In BBs defense I think it is much more important to run a 4.3/40 in your head.
Speed means nothing if you use it to go to the wrong spot on the field.
Give me a Roman Phifer over a clueless young stud anyday.

At least Pete is consistent. He said these same things on the radio last week. When the hosts questioned him he just kept saying that what he saw with his own eyes (poor defense for 30 minutes vs Indy) doesn't overright what the Pats did in the offseason. (paraphrasing)

He would not listen to reason when asked about Thomas or the rookies, or the youth in the secondary, or the d-line. His loss. He'll eat these words come February.

It was not age that beat our defense. It was the fact they thought they couldnt lose. When you're up so much in the first half its tough to get so excited for the second half-no matter what game it is. I know after that first half i went out and ordered some food, just to come back and see the game's momentum had completely turned.
The guy only mentioned two starters on our 11 Player defense. I think he was just looking for a reason to go against the grain.

Prisco was on WEEI last week in the morning (Tom Curran and someone else were the hosts). He said the same thing about the LBs and said that the Pats weren't the team to beat because of it. He said he was still on the Colts bandwagon.

When Curran asked him how he can discount the Pats because of their LBs when the Colts lost so many players most notably Tarik Glenn and Booger McFarland and how they had no real depth anywhere on defense, He basically gave some BS excuse that they are so talented (specifically Manning) that they can overcome all their losses and not miss a beat.

Prisco went on to say the Colts were clearly the best team in the league and haven't really lost anyone too major. Curran countered that the Colts clearly weren't the best team in the playoffs last year and got lucky last year that the Pats beat the Chargers because there was no way they were going to go into San Deigo and stop LT. Prisco said something like "but the Colts won the Super Bowl" or something brilliant like that.

Prisco is a bandwagon jumper like a lot of analysts (Peter King comes to mind). Once he picks his horse, he'll ride it to the ground no matter if it defies logic. He did pick the Pats as his horse for a little while, but he clearly is riding on Manning's back this year.

It was not age that beat our defense. It was the fact they thought they couldnt lose. When you're up so much in the first half its tough to get so excited for the second half-no matter what game it is. I know after that first half i went out and ordered some food, just to come back and see the game's momentum had completely turned.
The guy only mentioned two starters on our 11 Player defense. I think he was just looking for a reason to go against the grain.

I couldn't possibly disagree with this any more than I do. So, NE just didn't give it their all because they had an 18 point lead?

Look, people can call it excuses all they want, but the injuries and the flu as well as NE playing 5 straight games against playoff quality opposition (both Jax and TN were a win over NE away from being in the playoffs), 4 of which coming on the road, ultimately led to NE's demise. Add to that some very spotty officiating and you get what you got. All that said, it was NE's own fault that Indy was at home for that game. It was NE's own fault that they didn't get a bye. It was NE's own fault that they faced SD instead of Balt.

But let me say this loud and clear. If Indy had to go through all that NE did up to and through that week, NE would have beaten Indy by *at least* 21 points.

Why doesn't anyone ever mention that it took Indy 59 minutes to take the lead despite NE playing the entire second half without their top 3 RBs, their top 4 safeties, their top OLB, their backup at DT - and add in the fact that only one of the three DLs were even at 50% too.

It is not excuses. It is a fact. Indy earned the win, but to ignore the circumstances around it is just stupid. Would people be giving NE credit if Manning was knocked out late in the first half and it took the entire game for NE to even catch up?

Prisco is Indy's "anti-Borges". He's nothing more than a public relations employee for Polian. He raises valid points about the age of the LB's, but dismisses the youth of the DLine and DBacks (as well as Adalius Thomas). Whatever.

I have a feeling that Indy could sign **** Butkus and Mike Singletary and Prisco would say their age wouldn't be an issue for the Colts. He's an idiot.

What would you rather have Petey

LBers who run 4.7 40s and think with impluse engines
or
LBers who run 4.8 40s and think with warp engines? :D

Last edited:

I couldn't possibly disagree with this any more than I do. So, NE just didn't give it their all because they had an 18 point lead?

Look, people can call it excuses all they want, but the injuries and the flu as well as NE playing 5 straight games against playoff quality opposition (both Jax and TN were a win over NE away from being in the playoffs), 4 of which coming on the road, ultimately led to NE's demise. Add to that some very spotty officiating and you get what you got. All that said, it was NE's own fault that Indy was at home for that game. It was NE's own fault that they didn't get a bye. It was NE's own fault that they faced SD instead of Balt.

But let me say this loud and clear. If Indy had to go through all that NE did up to and through that week, NE would have beaten Indy by *at least* 21 points.

Why doesn't anyone ever mention that it took Indy 59 minutes to take the lead despite NE playing the entire second half without their top 3 RBs, their top 4 safeties, their top OLB, their backup at DT - and add in the fact that only one of the three DLs were even at 50% too.

It is not excuses. It is a fact. Indy earned the win, but to ignore the circumstances around it is just stupid. Would people be giving NE credit if Manning was knocked out late in the first half and it took the entire game for NE to even catch up?

what he said:horn: :horn: :horn: :horn:

Great players and real men don't make excuses of why the Colts made that dramatic comeback,The guys took it upon themselves to just acknowledge that they were outplayed in the 2nd half and no excuse like the virus or flu epidemic will have ever came out of a players mouth here in NE,nor was the players using 'the stadium was excessively hot' excuse either.
Well said.

Articles like this will find their way to the Pats as bulletin board material or otherwise. I would like to extend a heartfelt thank you to Pete Prisco for continuing to provide motivation to a LB group that needs very little to get fired up for games. Given all the ridiculously early pronouncments about the Pats chances this season, this is certainly a timely piece. Keep it up, Pete.

Well said.

Articles like this will find their way to the Pats as bulletin board material or otherwise. I would like to extend a heartfelt thank you to Pete Prisco for continuing to provide motivation to a LB group that needs very little to get fired up for games. Given all the ridiculously early pronouncments about the Pats chances this season, this is certainly a timely piece. Keep it up, Pete.

I agree that players shouldn't go around giving all the reasons why they lost. But there is no reason why analysts and fans cannot evaluate the circumstances after the fact.

I ask again, if Manning missed the AFCCG or was knocked out during it, whould anyone be flying the "no excuses" flag?

I agree that players shouldn't go around giving all the reasons why they lost. But there is no reason why analysts and fans cannot evaluate the circumstances after the fact.

I ask again, if Manning missed the AFCCG or was knocked out during it, whould anyone be flying the "no excuses" flag?
In regards to your first statement, here is the quote from Prisco to which I referred:
'You know what did them in? That common disease we know as old age.
Their linebackers, especially veterans Tedy Bruschi and Mike Vrabel, looked slow. And they're both penciled in as starters this year. The Patriots did sign Adalius Thomas as a high-priced free agent to help, but he's 30 -- and looks like he weighs 285, not exactly speed weight."
My point, simply, was that this statement will get back to the Pats' LBs and fuel this group during the season. It was not a criticism of whether it was true or to question the right of some scribe to write this, as it's pure speculation on the part of Prisco as well.

As for your second statement, if that were to have occurred, it would ultimately be rendered irrelevant, as the teams have to finish the game regardless of who can play. In other words, who cares about what never happened and what might have been said?

Great players and real men don't make excuses of why the Colts made that dramatic comeback,The guys took it upon themselves to just acknowledge that they were outplayed in the 2nd half and no excuse like the virus or flu epidemic will have ever came out of a players mouth here in NE,nor was the players using 'the stadium was excessively hot' excuse either.

Great players and real men might also keep supposed letters sent to them by the Head of Officials to themselves as well, don'tcha think??

In regards to your first statement, here is the quote from Prisco to which I referred:
'You know what did them in? That common disease we know as old age.
Their linebackers, especially veterans Tedy Bruschi and Mike Vrabel, looked slow. And they're both penciled in as starters this year. The Patriots did sign Adalius Thomas as a high-priced free agent to help, but he's 30 -- and looks like he weighs 285, not exactly speed weight."
My point, simply, was that this statement will get back to the Pats' LBs and fuel this group during the season. It was not a criticism of whether it was true or to question the right of some scribe to write this, as it's pure speculation on the part of Prisco as well.

As for your second statement, if that were to have occurred, it would ultimately be rendered irrelevant, as the teams have to finish the game regardless of who can play. In other words, who cares about what never happened and what might have been said?

I see your point, but I think my statement is relevent. People downplay the severity of NE's health lately because

A) Brady hasn't missed a game
B) They either don't realize or ignore the impact of the guys lost
C) Most don't particularly like NE. Not the team, per se, but the concept of them being continuously good. New events make for easier reporting.

I ask my question because it is blatantly obvious how everyone would react. And how it flies in the face of the treatment that NE is given. I'm not asking for everyone to orally pleasure my favorite team. I am asking for consistency.

Great players and real men might also keep supposed letters sent to them by the Head of Officials to themselves as well, don'tcha think??

Totally. Get majorly screwed in a big spot, have the league apologize for it, and keep it a secret so Colts fans might not actually have to face the fact that there was, in fact, a major screwing.

I see your point, but I think my statement is relevent. People downplay the severity of NE's health lately because

A) Brady hasn't missed a game
B) They either don't realize or ignore the impact of the guys lost
C) Most don't particularly like NE. Not the team, per se, but the concept of them being continuously good. New events make for easier reporting.

I ask my question because it is blatantly obvious how everyone would react. And how it flies in the face of the treatment that NE is given. I'm not asking for everyone to orally pleasure my favorite team. I am asking for consistency.
I understand what you're saying, and I guess my response is simply how I've been reacting to this. It's true that many fans from other teams are getting tired of NE playing at a high level for so long, and they tend to be overly critical of anything related to NE. My own way of dealing with this is to simply understand the reason behind this behavior and be grateful that the Pats success elicits this type of response. I don't disagree with your premise.

You guys are a funny bunch. Clueless but funny.

Dont make excuses, no team in the history of the NFL has ever given up a lead as large as the Patriots did in a conference championship game. Any team that gives up 32 points in the 2nd half in the AFCCG deserves to lose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Souhnds like a bunch of whining and excuses to me. Here are the facts I know

1.) Patriots had the biggest choke in Conference championship history (100% True and verified)

2) The Colts beat the Patriots and are the current and defending Superbowl Champions (100% true and verified)

You keep brinnging up these "circumstances" (That NO player who played in the game for the Pats has ever come close yo verifying) just sound like bad excuses to me. You keep playing the if, and, and but game and trying to push it off as fact. Just accept the better team won the game and the SB and stop pushing this list of excuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back