PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pessimistic note as to whether Brian Waters will return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Cleaning out joint practice notebook - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Maybe a hint that Brian Waters isn't coming back? When asked about the return of left guard Logan Mankins and right tackle Sebastian Vollmer from the physically unable to perform list, Scarnecchia said: "As much as we can, we're able to get bodies working side by side that hopefully will be working side by side when it's for real in September. We tried to keep Logan with Nate [Solder] and tried to keep Sebastian over there with [Dan] Connolly, and just give them some reps together. I think that's always a good thing. I think the most important thing for their own self-comfort, I guess, is to be able to get out, test themselves and see how everything is working and the mending process is going. It's only a good thing."

Time IS getting short for him to practice and so on.

And if he's not on the Opening Day roster because he came to camp too late, then he stayed out too long.

I wouldn't read anything in to comments.

Simple fact is, Waters ain't here...so why waste time talking about hm? You can only work with what you've got and you focus on that. You don't sit there and think 'what if so-and-so comes back?' because you're losing your short term focus.

Scarnecchia is as straight up as they come...no beating around the bush. If Waters returns he will factor him in and play the best guys. If Waters doesn't return he isn't exactly going to sit there worrying about it.

Listening to the interview it sounds more like he's just working with what's available.

Waters will probably report next week sometime.

Eh, doesn't mean much IMO. Waters didn't sign until very late last season too, didn't he? And I'm sure (if there is indeed an agreement for him to come in late in the preseason) the entire coaching staff has been instructed not to mention him as a sure thing so they don't have to answer direct questions about the wink wink.

I don't think his locker would still have his name on it if he hadn't told BB something positive about his future plans.

I honestly have a feeling that it may still be up in the air, with a raise in pay wanted by the Waters camp.

I don't think his locker would still have his name on it if he hadn't told BB something positive about his future plans.

Exactly what I've been thinking. It just smacks of a verbal agreement between the team and Waters. If he doesn't come back, Connolly slides into his spot. The OL won't be nearly as good without him, but we'll survive.

I honestly have a feeling that it may still be up in the air, with a raise in pay wanted by the Waters camp.

If he wanted a pay rise the Patriots would be fining him for holding out.

Last edited:
Since when have BB or his staff talked about players who were not with the team - ever. I thought I was the ParanoidPatriot. :D

Last edited:
I think Mike Reiss is stretching here. He said today in his chat that he is doubtful that Waters will return which may be a case of him overanalyzing things to support his theory.

I still think Waters will be back and as soon as the first practice after tomorrow night's game. I wouldn't be shocked if he never returned, but I think he will.

To not interpret the quote pessimistically, you'd have to think a Patriots coach was lying a little bit to the media, and we all know that would NEVER ...

... um, never mind.

Last edited:
Reiss is getting more & more like a typical ESPN reporter.
We have discussed this before. He is an excellent reporter but his analysis and the conclusions he draws from what he reports are dubious at best.

Well this is basically the same as the other thread, so I'll repeat that if he wasn't coming back, I think that would be that and it wouldn't be a question. Only possible issue would be money, and since the Pats decide financial things pretty definitely pretty early on, don't see how that would linger on. He'll be back.

Waters will be back next week.

I have been waiting to see him show up for a while and am becoming more skeptical.

Waters is 35 and I don't think Connoly is that big a step down. Maybe move Waters to the shadow roster and give him a call and bonus once someone goes down.

I have been a pessimist that he will return just because this seems like an abnormal situation for BB for one player to be treated differently than others.

The point that if he was holding out for more money that we'd fine him is a good point so i don't think it's money i think it's, he doesn't know if he will retire or not.

I guess the only clues for me that he will be back is we are still holding a spot on the roster for him, he hasn't been fined we haven't brought in a lot of new camp bodies at G mostly they have been T's

Simple fact is, Waters ain't here...so why waste time talking about hm? You can only work with what you've got and you focus on that.

Hey, I drink the Belichick kool-aid as much as anyone, but someone needs to come up for air.. ;)

If he decides to retire (which I doubt), then why would he have waited all this time? If it is about $$$, then Waters should consider that the Pats have been on a roll lately trying to recoup bonuses (Gallery, Fanene). They might go after a portion of his too. So not only would he not get this year's salary, but he'd have to give some or all of his bonus back, no?

Strictly business

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back