PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pessimism about court case chances (ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the private letter from Gardi, if it was private, then what was defamatory about it?

NFL made the Pats sign a NDA for the real PSI readings in March. Why would they do that when the bogus report of 11 of 12 were 2 PSI under was the only thing out there?

As for the letter it doesnt matter if it was private, which it wasn't. It shows the NFL flatout lied. In a defamation suit it doesn't hurt when you can prove that the other party are liars.

correct me if i'm wrong... but isn't Florio tight with Brady?
No offense, but thanks for providing me with a morning laugh. You asked, so, no, far from it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...tom-brady-doesnt-get-appeal-result-he-desires

Discussing Brady's chances of winning in court, and not encouraging. Two lawyer types saying that Goodell is within his negotiated rights even if he does a lousy job of arbitration. One even suggests that Peterson's win in court is likely to be overturned on appeal.

However, it doesn't take up the matter of defamation.
Saw link was to ESPN. Even Reiss is pissed at them and they pay him. I'm not clicking that.

If you are a lawyer on TV, it means you are not worth squat in the courtroom. Those who can, do, those who can't, work for ESPN

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...tom-brady-doesnt-get-appeal-result-he-desires

Discussing Brady's chances of winning in court, and not encouraging. Two lawyer types saying that Goodell is within his negotiated rights even if he does a lousy job of arbitration. One even suggests that Peterson's win in court is likely to be overturned on appeal.

However, it doesn't take up the matter of defamation.
Munson is a total clown who would be merely a shill for the league if he even bothered to read up about the case. He knows less than the average patsfan about the case.

NFL made the Pats sign a NDA for the real PSI readings in March. Why would they do that when the bogus report of 11 of 12 were 2 PSI under was the only thing out there?

As for the letter it doesnt matter if it was private, which it wasn't. It shows the NFL flatout lied. In a defamation suit it doesn't hurt when you can prove that the other party are liars.

I think this letter is huge and is proof of a deliberate and premeditated attempt to rattle the patriots while they should have been focused on preparing for the SuperBowl. This should be the biggest scandal. Was someone in the NFL betting on the game and trying to influence it by providing disinformation to the Patriots? What is the NFL's answer to how and why they did this?

Saw court and ESPN, guessed it was Munson, didn't bother clicking.

Today was a good day.
Better chance of getting a prescient legal opinion from Thurman Munson...

That munson is a real munson

Right.

If Brady can cross the basic hurdles for getting a defamation case going, there's lots of supporting material to add context to his argument.

But off the top of my head, I can't think of an instance in which a public figure has sued an employer for defamation.

The most telling thing the NFL did to the Patriots, that thing that really shows how malicious and petty the league is acting is the punishment for the first round pick. The fact that it is worded so that the Patriots lose the highest pick they have by the draft means they can not be sure they could even trade for a first rounder until the end of next season. This is punishment for picking in the first round anyway last time they Lost a top round pick. How can anyone read that part of the Vincent letter and not see that this was an all out attack? The NFL is not only taking a pick. They are saying that the Patriots can only secure a good draft pick if they have a bad season.

Brady's team knows what it is doing.....they planted the story about the 4-hour time limit and had the NFL front office run right into it

Brady's team created the instance regarding the leagues ability to respond promptly as they did yesterday and also their ability to misinform. In a courtroom, the fact that Mortensen got a bum story (11 of 12 balls 2psi under) on which the entire investigation and the Wells report is based. It was their negligence in failing to correct the story promptly even though they have displayed the ability to do so.

In short, it goes a long way towards being actual fraud

The case has to overcome questions like:
  • The tweets were from Vincent personally??
  • As for the private letter from Gardi, if it was private, then what was defamatory about it?
  • Who was Mort's source?
That said, it seems likely that Mort's report was defamatory on the part of SOMEBODY (most likely Mort's tipster). And if the NFL is implicated in some way (which seems more probable than not), then their aggressive refusal to cure the defamation makes them look awfully liable.

But "open/shut" is, I fear, somewhat of an overstatement.

It caused Brady and Belichick to answer in public press conferences something that did not exist.

And the tweet with Joe Namath #12 talking about the game and honesty WAS from Troy Vincent personally.

False information was attributed to an official NFL source in the most public of ways. The NFL routinely disputes false information attributed to it (see yesterday and the 4 hour argument that took place within a space of minutes). The NFL knowingly allowed vital information that was attributed to it stay out in public for FOUR MONTHS without any correction or comment.

Last edited:
Florio is a long-time Steelers fan and Patriots hater. He is also a practicing attorney.

The fact that he has been taking up with the Patriots in this matter since approximately March is significant.

Florio also has an engineering degree from Carnegie Mellon, which TOTALLY explains his ability to see the Wells Report "science" properly.

Brady's team knows what it is doing.....they planted the story about the 4-hour time limit and had the NFL front office run right into it

Brady's team created the instance regarding the leagues ability to respond promptly as they did yesterday and also their ability to misinform. In a courtroom, the fact that Mortensen got a bum story (11 of 12 balls 2psi under) on which the entire investigation and the Wells report is based. It was their negligence in failing to correct the story promptly even though they have displayed the ability to do so.

In short, it goes a long way towards being actual fraud

I wonder who fwd the letter to Schefter. Gotta think NFLPA or Yee.

I wonder who fwd the letter to Schefter. Gotta think NFLPA or Yee.

Yee. My guess. I've seen Mr. Schefter twice at the airport waiting to fly to Indy and he is great with former players and agents. Just listening. He seems genuine. Tries not to be more than the message/interview. I think most find him trustworthy (obviously).

Munson has stated that he feels that the Wells Report is a fair and well crafted report that give clear and unimpeachable evidence of the Patriots guilt. He believes there is nothing in the Wells Report that anyone can credibly attack.

You are wrong. He has never been tight with Brady.

Florio is a long-time Steelers fan and Patriots hater. He is also a practicing attorney.

The fact that he has been taking up with the Patriots in this matter since approximately March is significant.
Florio is a clown and his website sucks.

Yee. My guess. I've seen Mr. Schefter twice at the airport waiting to fly to Indy and he is great with former players and agents. Just listening. He seems genuine. Tries not to be more than the message/interview. I think most find him trustworthy (obviously).
I agree. I've said in other posts that while Schefter throws a lot of stuff out there and offers his opinion on various topics, he - to my knowledge hasn't pooped the bed like Mort on a story.

the one thing that seems strange to me is the obvious anti-patriots bias that appears when people want to diminish the cold hard facts behind the physical qualities of a football from the moment the refs check them before a game and run with the insinuations they can come up with regarding the texts and phone call durations and are willing to fill in the blanks in the most baseless way possible....what is most amazing is how bad it is with some of the boston media.....especially
Felger/Mazz
Tanguay - this guy is absolute in his opinion that Brady cheated during the AFCC

they assume to know much, but really don't know anything at all

the pats players should come up with a list of local media hacks to refuse to speak to.....or at least do the marshawn lynch in front of them

It caused Brady and Belichick to answer in public press conferences something that did not exist.

And the tweet with Joe Namath #12 talking about the game and honesty WAS from Troy Vincent personally.

False information was attributed to an official NFL source in the most public of ways. The NFL routinely disputes false information attributed to it (see yesterday and the 4 hour argument that took place within a space of minutes). The NFL knowingly allowed vital information that was attributed to it stay out in public for FOUR MONTHS without any correction or comment.

Brady and his lawyers should prepare for court. PERIOD. THE NFL IS A CORRUPT ORGANIZATION. TAKE THEM TO COURT AND EXPOSE THEM. The league is being run by dishonest people. :mad:
I'm sick of this ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey