PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Perspective...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthSeeker

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
My initial reaction after the final gun Sunday was just like everybody else's. It was like a swift kick the the stomach, I felt empty, almost felt like throwing up. 6 months of giving our hearts and souls rooting with every ounce of our beings for the Pats. I couldn't sleep that night, have not watched ESPN since Sunday morning. Unfortunately I live in NYC, so the Giant jubilation has been jammed down my throat. I walked through NYC on Monday like a ghost, like a zombie, in a daze. I went throught the same emotions, thinking about specific plays, and what could have happened, who to blame, etc.

But then, Monday night, an epiphany hit me. If someone told me back in the dog days of the 70's, 80's and early 90's that the Pats would be in 6 AFC Championship Games in 11 years, win 5 of them, and then win 3 Super Bowls, AND, also have one of the GREATEST Quarterbacks and Coaches of ALLTIME, I would have had them committed. This Patriot organization is one of the best orginizations in sports !!

I realized the greatness of this orginization has spoiled me rotten !! Can you imagine being a fan of a team like the Saints (no offense Saints fans), who have been to the playoffs the same amount of times we've actually WON Super Bowls ! Or the Jets (no offense again), who haven't won a Super Bowl in almost 40 years ! Or the Falcons, Seahawks, etc. There have been several teams that have NEVER been to the Super Bowl, and we have been 4 times in the last 7 years, and 5 in the last 11 !!

I'm not saying that we shouldn't feel bad/sad/disappointed, but, we really are lucky to be Pats fans, they brought us some amazing times the last 11 years, especially if you have been a long time fan (I started getting into the Pats in 1975, became a full time fan in 1976). Hopefully this helps everybody put this into some sort of perspective. I know thinking about this has helped me somewhat get over this loss.

BTW-Congrats to the Giants and their fans, They are the best team in football, enjoy it to the fullest, buy all the hats and t-shirts and videos, winning a Super Bowl truly is something to cherish, I know I did when the Pats won theirs !!

Re: Perspective.......

My initial reaction after the final gun Sunday was just like everybody else's. It was like a swift kick the the stomach, I felt empty, almost felt like throwing up. 6 months of giving our hearts and souls rooting with every ounce of our beings for the Pats. I couldn't sleep that night, have not watched ESPN since Sunday morning. Unfortunately I live in NYC, so the Giant jubilation has been jammed down my throat. I walked through NYC on Monday like a ghost, like a zombie, in a daze. I went throught the same emotions, thinking about specific plays, and what could have happened, who to blame, etc.

But then, Monday night, an epiphany hit me. If someone told me back in the dog days of the 70's, 80's and early 90's that the Pats would be in 6 AFC Championship Games in 11 years, win 5 of them, and then win 3 Super Bowls, AND, also have one of the GREATEST Quarterbacks and Coaches of ALLTIME, I would have had them committed. This Patriot organization is one of the best orginizations in sports !!

I realized the greatness of this orginization has spoiled me rotten !! Can you imagine being a fan of a team like the Saints (no offense Saints fans), who have been to the playoffs the same amount of times we've actually WON Super Bowls ! Or the Jets (no offense again), who haven't won a Super Bowl in almost 40 years ! Or the Falcons, Seahawks, etc. There have been several teams that have NEVER been to the Super Bowl, and we have been 4 times in the last 7 years, and 5 in the last 11 !!

I'm not saying that we shouldn't feel bad/sad/disappointed, but, we really are lucky to be Pats fans, they brought us some amazing times the last 11 years, especially if you have been a long time fan (I started getting into the Pats in 1975, became a full time fan in 1976). Hopefully this helps everybody put this into some sort of perspective. I know thinking about this has helped me somewhat get over this loss.

BTW-Congrats to the Giants and their fans, They are the best team in football, enjoy it to the fullest, buy all the hats and t-shirts and videos, winning a Super Bowl truly is something to cherish, I know I did when the Pats won theirs !!
We all do it its called Rationalization

I feel the same way in general about the postings in here: that this has been a waste of a season. Incredible!!
I can understand the 1st few days feelling anger / disappointment / etc. especially the way the game was lost (no QB in the grasp / catch it with your helmet?!?!?) ...& i'm still bitter & believe that the Gmen caught us on a bad day and it would of been different 8 out of 10 times!
But move on & appreciate the following: (I posted this elsewhere I know but want to get this message out to turnaround this board!)

* From SB XXXVI - XXXIX = PATS win 3 out of 4 SB CHAMPIONSHIPS!!! Only done like twice in the history of all SBowls..incredible!
** From XL - XLII = For the last 3 seasoins, we had one bad game (no doubt the better team won) when it counted - playoff lost in Denver 27-13. Just one freakin game in 3 seasons!
b) Last year we lose by 3 points / 1 firstdown away from the SB to the Colts with inferior (sh*tty really) WRs! In the Dome!
c) We lose only in the SB (undefeated all year) by 3 points on a last minute / unbelievable plays (lucky you might say) to the Gmen. Yes, you might say our offense sucked for the 1st time in a playoff game since ..? ... but still look what it took for the Gmen to win it on the last drive for them.

Thats 3 SEASONS & we were only 'stomped' on once when it counted! This team is UNBELIEVABLE! It should show that sometimes you need the bounces / QB escapes / etc.. to win it. Sometimes football isn't won with predictable execution and that practically uncontrollable variables (no QB in the grasp called / pulling the fumble away from defender) will possibly happen in the big game to decide it! We were the beneficiary end of that last year in SD for the playoffs but this year we were on the other side of the coin (wrong side) so you got to deal with it....
So Show some true fan support for our team & move on & appreciate!!!

But then, Monday night, an epiphany hit me. If someone told me back in the dog days of the 70's, 80's and early 90's that the Pats would be in 6 AFC Championship Games in 11 years, win 5 of them, and then win 3 Super Bowls, AND, also have one of the GREATEST Quarterbacks and Coaches of ALLTIME, I would have had them committed. This Patriot organization is one of the best orginizations in sports

I started pulling for the Pats in the '94 season. If someone would have told me in 1994:

-The Pats were going to win the most Super Bowls in the next 14 seasons
-The Pats were going to lose the most Super Bowls in the next 14 seasons
-The Pats are going to pull off on of the greatest upsets in SB history
-The Pats are going to be beaten in one of the greatest upsets in SB history
-The Pats are going to become a dynasty
-The Pats are going to become the most hated team in sports
-The Pats are going to go 16-0
-The Pats are going to lose the SB the season of 16-0
-The Pats are going to have one of the best QB's ever
-The Pats are going to have one of the best coaches ever
-The Pats are going to lose a SB with said QB/coach
-The Pats are going to win 3 SB's in 4 years
-The Pats are going to break a rule and have the legitimacy of those SB's questioned
-The Pats are going to break the NFL-scoring record
-The Pats are going to lose the SB the same year by scoring only 14 points
-The Pats are going to suffer 2 of the most embarrassing losses in playoff history in consecutive years
-The Pats are going to be one of the most clutch teams in NFL history
-The Pats are going to suffer the biggest choke in NFL history

I would have them committed too. It seems impossible that a team could experience such high's and low's, especially within a 7-year span, but this is what happened.

Remember this... we got beat by the greatest catch in the history of the Superbowl.... I have watched that play several times now and if you asked Tyree to do it again, he would fail 99 times out of a 100...

Anyway, I don't feel so bad now... Our team is still the best in the NFL and we will go back next year to the SB and win !!!

I'm sure all the players will want to go back and do this - we'll see many of them come back (with a vengeance !!)

Remember this... we got beat by the greatest catch in the history of the Superbowl.... I have watched that play several times now and if you asked Tyree to do it again, he would fail 99 times out of a 100...

And hopefully we won't have to re live that catch a million times, in highlights like the Montanna to Clark catch......

Anyway, I don't feel so bad now... Our team is still the best in the NFL and we will go back next year to the SB and win !!!

I'm sure all the players will want to go back and do this - we'll see many of them come back (with a vengeance !!)

The Tyree pass was a third down play. If it went incomplete, the Giants would have had a 4th and 5, would have gone for it, might have made it and still had almost a minute to go. The Tyree play just made it more painful and dramatic, but the Pats had an opportunity to stop them on that drive on one fourth down and two third down plays but couldn't do it. Wasn't to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes