Not open for further replies.

fair catch fryar

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
2001 - Start off 2-3, finish 11-5 and win the SuperBowl
2002 - Start off 3-2, finish 9-7 and miss the playoffs
2003 - Start off 3-2, finish 14-2 and win the SuperBowl
2004 - Start off 5-0, finish 14-2 and win the SuperBowl
2005 - Start off 3-2, finish 10-6 and lose to Denver in the 2nd round of the playoffs
2006 - Start off 4-1, finish 12-4 and lose to Indy in the AFCCG
2007 - Start off 5-0, finish 16-0 and lose to the NYG in the SuperBowl.
2008 - Start off 3-2 after losing Brady, finish 11-5 and miss the playoffs
2009 - Start off 3-2, finish ???

Every season writes it's own story, but as you can see the Pats have started the season at 3-2 more times than not. My point being that it's way too early to be panicking. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned, but I think I've felt that way every season. Just enjoy the ride while Brady and Belichick are here regardless of the loss today. I still feel this team will go 12-4 and be clicking just in time for January.

*passes Kool-Aid*

No, really, Kool-Aid is much needed by a number of fans here at the moment.

more frustrated than concerned. I think that's the case with a lot of people here. I still fully believe that this is a playoff team that will go on a deep run. if you want to see a team in trouble watch some raider "highlights"...

2005 - Start off 3-2, finish 10-6 and lose to Denver in the 2nd round of the playoffs

Every season writes it's own story, but as you can see the Pats have started the season at 3-2 more times than not. My point being that it's way too early to be panicking. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned, but I think I've felt that way every season. Just enjoy the ride while Brady and Belichick are here regardless of the loss today. I still feel this team will go 12-4 and be clicking just in time for January.

Great post :D

What can we say:
1. We didn't separate ourselves from the Jets & Broncos when we had the opportunities, and they both came back to bite us in the arse.

Jets pressured the daylights out of Brady and kept him off balance all day.
The Broncos just had better coverage, and were able to keep brady from finishing drives off.

2007 spoiled us, and made us think TfB was forever going to be a 40 td/4000 yd bomber.

Last edited:
*passes Kool-Aid*

No, really, Kool-Aid is much needed by a number of fans here at the moment.

I have no problem drinking the Kool-Aid my friend. It tastes a lot better than the "loser juice" of years past and a lot healthier than getting all fnckin cranky and bent out of shape because the Pats lost to Denver in Denver.

Where they lose 99.9% of the time.

Last edited:
Heres some more perspective, what happened today in Denver is typical.

I can only remember winning in Denver a couple of times in the last thirty plus years. And a lot of the games were like this one, or worse like Mosie Totupo fumbling the ball at the goal line with about a minute left. Denver took the ball down the field to win the game.

Just think about it, in the Tom Brady era we have only won ther once and that was on a fluke play that involved taking a saftey.

I can only remember winning in Denver a couple of times in the last thirty plus years. And a lot of the games were like this one, or worse like Mosie Totupo fumbling the ball at the goal line with about a minute left. Denver took the ball down the field to win the game.

Just think about it, in the Tom Brady era we have only won ther once and that was on a fluke play that involved taking a saftey.

Exactly. It's one of the reasons why I hate the Broncos so much.

What can we say:
1. We didn't separate ourselves from the Jets & Broncos when we had the opportunities, and they both came back to bite us in the arse.

Jets pressured the daylights out of Brady and kept him off balance all day.
The Broncos just had better coverage, and were able to keep brady from finishing drives off.

2007 spoiled us, and made us think TfB was forever going to be a 40 td/4000 yd bomber.

07 definitely spoiled us and fans expect perfection week in and week out, and Brady to throw for 300 and 4 TDs a week. We need to take a step back and realize it just doesnt happen

I think that we've only won 2 of the last 19 in Denver. In any case, we may need to overcome this curse if we are to going to win the Super Bowl this year.

I think that we've only won 2 of the last 19 in Denver. In any case, we may need to overcome this curse if we are to going to win the Super Bowl this year.
I can only hope we don't have to go to Denver its Bradys house of horrors. It seems that every player in a position to affect a game such as QB has teams they play well against and teams that they struggle against. Obviously Bradys has a hard time playing in Denver. I think at this point Denver is in his head , he may not believe he can win there.

Last edited:
at least we lost to two great AFC powerhouses. ;) Other than Indy we have nothing to fear..

A few more to consider:

In 2005 the Steelers surrender 38 points to the Bengals in their third straight loss to fall to 7-5. Fans think the chances of making the playoffs are bleak, and figure the team will at best be one-and-done. Pittsburgh wins their next four games to make the playoffs, and then four more to win the Super Bowl.

In 2006 the Colts start out 9-0, but then proceed to lose four of their next six games. The media dismisses their chances in the playoffs due to a defense that at one point late in the season gave up nearly 600 yards rushing in the space of seven days. In the playoffs that same defense suddenly turns arounf, forcing 13 turnovers and holding opponents to an average of 83 yards rushing en route to a Super Bowl victory.

In 2007 media and fans are calling for a head coach to be fired and believe the quarterback is a bust after an 0-2 start in which opponents scored 80 points. The talk quiets down after a few wins but is in full force again after a 41-17 loss, the second loss in three games. We know all too well who won the championship that year.

Last year Steeler fans were calling for the starting quarterback to be benched and questioning whether the team made the right choice in the hiring of their head coach after the team lost for the second time in three weeks in mid-season - a three game stretch where the offense turned the ball over eight times. And yes, they won the Super Bowl too.

Teams do lose. It happens. In fact the Patriots are almost assured of losing again this season. So what; all the teams that remain undefeated at this point will lose some games this year too.

Obviously there are things that need to be improved but it's not as if a loss in week five is going to cost a team the season. An overtime loss on the road to an undefeated team with the league's best defensive stats is not a reason to throw in the towel on the year.

A few more to consider:

In 2005 the Steelers surrender 38 points to the Bengals in their third straight loss to fall to 7-5. Fans think the chances of making the playoffs are bleak, and figure the team will at best be one-and-done. Pittsburgh wins their next four games to make the playoffs, and then four more to win the Super Bowl.

In 2006 the Colts start out 9-0, but then proceed to lose four of their next six games. The media dismisses their chances in the playoffs due to a defense that at one point late in the season gave up nearly 600 yards rushing in the space of seven days. In the playoffs that same defense suddenly turns arounf, forcing 13 turnovers and holding opponents to an average of 83 yards rushing en route to a Super Bowl victory.

In 2007 media and fans are calling for a head coach to be fired and believe the quarterback is a bust after an 0-2 start in which opponents scored 80 points. The talk quiets down after a few wins but is in full force again after a 41-17 loss, the second loss in three games. We know all too well who won the championship that year.

Last year Steeler fans were calling for the starting quarterback to be benched and questioning whether the team made the right choice in the hiring of their head coach after the team lost for the second time in three weeks in mid-season - a three game stretch where the offense turned the ball over eight times. And yes, they won the Super Bowl too.

Teams do lose. It happens. In fact the Patriots are almost assured of losing again this season. So what; all the teams that remain undefeated at this point will lose some games this year too.

Obviously there are things that need to be improved but it's not as if a loss in week five is going to cost a team the season. An overtime loss on the road to an undefeated team with the league's best defensive stats is not a reason to throw in the towel on the year.

All good points and more reasons to believe that the Pats are better off making these mistakes at the beginning of the season and not by week 13. While Brady slowly gets his confidence in the pocket back and this young and fast defense learns from their mistakes and continues to gel I think this team will be peaking just in time. (gulp) takes another sip of kool-aid! By then the 'playmakers' on defense will start emerging and regardless of playoff seedings this team will be able to win anywhere.

For those of you panicking and screaming, I'd much rather drink the kool-aid and wear my BB shades than giving myself an ulcer over football.;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back