PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Personal Viewpoint: Spencer Larsen will be on the 53 man roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's still possible that we keep a FB (Kettani)...not that I think it would happen. Kettani hasn't shown much.

Navy guy. BB will try to put him on the PS.

Plus, I don't think McDaniels wants to completely give up on the FB possibility later in the season when the weather gets colder.

Last edited:
I have seen a lot of articles, stories, threads, posts saying the Pats will not keep a FB. I personally disagree, my feeling is that Fletcher's injury really solidified Larsen making the roster.

Larsen is a BB type player, he fills several key roles on the Patriots.

True blocking FB.
3rd TE blocking ability.
Ability to catch the ball out of the back field with knowledge to JM's offensive scheme.
Backup 4-3 LB (mainly inside).
Ability to fill Fletchers role ST.

If Daniel Feils and Dane Fletcher were both healthy I'd suggest otherwise because then you have Feils to block as a FB, the 3rd TE for receiving/blocking and obviously Fletcher is a superior LB to Larsen.

I know Tarp and White are BB and fan favorites but roles are basically the same, more of cover linebackers and ST players. I see only one of them making it and Larsen being our 6th LB at least till Fells comes off PUP mid season.

One large serving of crow coming up!

Even though I had not previously commented in this thread I suppose I'll have an order of some of that crow as well. Not the first time I was wrong, and it certainly will not be the last.

Although I didn't feel quite as stronly as BBass did, I felt through all of the off season and beginning of camp that the Pats would keep a FB, and Larsen was the most likely of that group to be the one to stay.

When he started missing practices I felt less condident that he would be on the roster. Once he was re-injured I felt that he would most likely be released.

In my opinion his being cut is less about his abilities or the Pats desire to have a true FB on the roster than it is simply about his being injured. I would not be the least bit surprised if a true FB makes the roster out of next summer's training camp - or if one is one the roster at some point this season.

Last edited:
Larsen couldn't stay on the field.
And when he got on, he was part of the whiff in the first quarter that got Brady nailed on the strip sack - although he did recover the fumble.
He might have been re-injured on that play, but either way I don't think he saw the field again.

He just didn't make the most of his opportunities.

Given all the attention paid to signing FB's, and the versatility of Larsen, it was sensible at the time to think the Pats would keep one, and that Larsen was most likely. He had a good chance. Injuries and wrecking Brady didn't help him any.

That said, the release of Larsen and Stallworth make it more likely that Bolden makes the team.

Bolden has played on three of the Special Teams squads.
If there is no FB, and no Stallworth as one more WR, there might be room for a fifth RB. Given his ST roles, he is potentially one of the top ST players.

Bolden's chances went from Slim to 50/50.

E I would not be the least bit surprised if a true FB makes the roster out of next summer's training camp - or if one is one the roster at some point this season.

I think Kettani will be on the PS.

Part of my reasoning is that BB put his reputation on the line with the Navy about the potential for Kettani's pro career. So I think he sees him as at least strong PS fodder. Indeed, with the Navy in the mix, I think this is one of the rare occasions BB could get a little sentimental/biased to his own previous choice/whatever.

Also, for all the reasons we thought there would likely be a FB on the 53 -- if there isn't, it makes sense to have one on the PS.

Last edited:
Well I was way off.. Larsen is PS eligible though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots