PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Perillo 7/29/07 AM notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.patriots.com/search/index.cfm?ac=searchdetail&pid=26498&pcid=44&special_section=tc2007

7/29/07
Meriweather shines; morning notes
by Paul Perillo, Patriots Football Weekly

Rookie Brandon Meriweather is making a strong first impression thus far in training camp. The first-round pick out of Miami has not let his slow start due to a contract holdup deter him in any way.

Roll call
Kyle Brady was added to the list of players missing practice, joining Rashad Baker (back), Garrett Mills and Chad Scott (left leg). Also, Kareem Brown (reported suspension) continues to miss valuable practice time while Asante Samuel remains unsigned. There were no changes to the group of seven that opened camp on PUP.

Who’s hot
Brandon Meriweather – The rookie is making a strong first impression in the Patriots secondary. Lining up at corner during most drills, the first-round pick has shown quickness, athleticism and good anticipation in his first days as a pro.

Who’s not
Stephen Gostkowski – As is the normal custom, the Patriots closed out practice with some field goal work but Gostkowski was not his usual sharp self. He missed 2-of-5 from short range with Matt Cassel holding before bouncing back with Josh Miller, making all four. Earlier, during a kick return drill, he sent one sailing out of bounds.

Play of the day
Brady looked deep for Jabar Gaffney but came up empty when Tory James made the pick.
James showed terrific ball skills on the play, running right with Gaffney before reacting to the ball and making a fine over the shoulder catch.

Morning notes
The six defensive backs that were on the field in the dime package for the two-minute drill were Meriweather, Ellis Hobbs, Randall Gay, Eugene Wilson, James Sanders and Rodney Harrison. … The Patriots worked on kick returns with Hobbs and Willie Andrews paired together, Sammy Morris and Welker with the next group while Laurence Maroney and Bam Childress finished the drill. … Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops was on hand for the second straight day and addressed the team after practice. … Randy Moss almost destroyed a ball boy on the sideline while trying to catch a deep out from Brady. Moss raced to the sideline and had the ball go off his fingers before bracing himself for a collision with the unsuspecting ball boy. … Kevin Faulk got bumped around on one play while carrying the ball when he tried to make a jump cut and was met in midair by defensive lineman Rashad Moore, bouncing the running back to the ground. … Rookie seventh-round pick Oscar Lua continues to get a lot of reps calling the defense in the middle with the second group. … While still preferring not to spend much time talking about his personal life, Brady did confirm that he has yet to become a father.

My favorite part (even though at this point it means nothing):

Rookie seventh-round pick Oscar Lua continues to get a lot of reps calling the defense in the middle with the second group.

Rookie seventh-round pick Oscar Lua continues to get a lot of reps calling the defense in the middle with the second group.

Yes, it is way too early to say anything other than - it is nice to see him getting reps and trying to make calls. If he was over his head or if he simply sux, he would not even be in the mix.

Here's hoping he can surpass expectations and contribute more than we all could have hoped for.

With Lua getting alot of reps, I wonder if the plan is to rotate him in on ILB to give Seau and Bruischi breaks throughout the game... Didn't he lose his job in college?

With Lua getting alot of reps, I wonder if the plan is to rotate him in on ILB to give Seau and Bruischi breaks throughout the game... Didn't he lose his job in college?

Yes, Lua lost it because of an injury and because the guy behind him was a much more talented athlete.

Yeah, but he lost his job to a future top 10 pick.

Hmmm... Interesting... The more I hear about this kid, the more I'm thinking he maybe a good linebacker... I don't understand how he fell to the 7th round though, that's crazy...

Hmmm... Interesting... The more I hear about this kid, the more I'm thinking he maybe a good linebacker... I don't understand how he fell to the 7th round though, that's crazy...

Happens all the time. Adalius Thomas. Terrell Davis. Tom Brady.

Even TBC to a certain extent.

Good players "fall" all the time for no real reason. Marques Colston.

Even TBC to a certain extent.

Good players "fall" all the time for no real reason. Marques Colston.

:eek: You're kidding!! :p I'm messing...Sounds like we found a gem in the haystack... :)

I find it a little weird that Brady (one of the best offensive players in the league) and Thomas (one of the best defensive player in the league) were taken in the same round (2000 round 6). Marc Bulger went in that round as well - some 6th round.

I, for one, am happy with the 6th round in 2000. :)

Four of the six guys in the dime package in the two-minute drill are safeties?

It makes sense -- they're probably the six best healthy DBs on the team right now.

But it does underscore depth issues among the pure CBs. We could easily see one of the safeties at CB regularly this season, especially in the 5+ DB packages...

We need youth at ILB. Lua is being given the chance to show that he deserves PT with the regular D, and not just with ST. Good move.

I find it a little weird that Brady (one of the best offensive players in the league) and Thomas (one of the best defensive player in the league) were taken in the same round (2000 round 6). Marc Bulger went in that round as well - some 6th round.

Damn shame the Patriots didn't have more 6th round picks that year.

Are you sure it means nothing? Calling the plays is a significant thing to do, and to do it with the second team at least indicates that Pats think highly enough of him to test him out with that responsibility/group.

I'm just checking in from Nova Scotia, (the one downer from our vacation, is missing early TC's) sounds like Lua's getting some respect early!!! Good news! He couldn't be learning from a more talented, professional group than Tedy, Seau, Vrabes et all!!!

I am wondering if Meriweather and Wilson will be playing more CORNER than safety this year. Certainly looks like BB is having them practice for the contingency that Samuel continues to hold out. Hey guys, look we did draft a corner. It's Meriweather! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes