PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Perfect"- Tedy tribute day thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are gonna win this game.

Can't have this thread without the following:

How do we feel about a Tedy Bruschi tribute game on MNF against the NY Jets?

awwwwYEAH!!!

Re: Perfect.

The Jets are screwed tonite. Tedy said this game is personal and he is not going to be impartial. He will be in the locker room before the game. Word is, Rodney will be too. The Jests gotta line up against 12 on both sides of the ball tonite. This team is going to just leave everything on the field tonight for Tedy. Bank it. This is a win.

Bru's one of the most inspirational players this game has ever seen and we're so freakin' lucky to have Tedy here tonight:rocker: I love this man.

Some serious (buy a vowel)-ss kicking WILL happen:D and for those of us lucky enough to be there in person, this should be classic! I heard we'll get a few flurries tonight; Bru, lil snow maybe, maybe Rodney...GET THE BAND BACK TOGETHER JUST FOR AWHILE:singing:, then our boyz get out there make the little green men cry.

Thank you Bru; how many memories belong to you.
I'm with you ss; nothing gets left out there tonight. AND GO PATS:D:rocker:

499w.jpg

:singing::singing::singing:

I LOVE ME SOME BRUSCHI! The Patriots are going to honor him with a huge win tonight. The stadium is going to be electric because of the pre game ceremony. Once again, Bruschi ignites the Patriots.

-Thank You Tedy!

BB should dial up a best of Tedy video and show it to his players right before the game. Make sure some Rodney is in there too.

Are they retiring his number tonight?

Was lucky enough to see Tedy at the Lunch with a Legend earlier!

Hope that "hoodie" lets Tedy give the pregame speech! Wishing i was there tonite, can't even begin to begin to tell anybody the memories that TEDY BALLGAME has provided.
Winning is the only option tonite, will be watching in stereo to hear the crowd!
God Bless you Tedy!!! Thanks for everything
GO PATS!!!

maybe the pats should give away hats and t-shirts at the game tonight because the pats dont lose hat & T-shirt games.

Are they retiring his number tonight?

No they are not. Tedy said he thinks they should un-retire all the numbers and have a 'ring of honor' of sorts.

one of the GREATEST Patriots : # 54 TEDY BRUSCHI !!!

If the OP doesn't mind, I changed the title. I didn't know what was in this thread before I opened it, but half expected a cheerleader photo.:D

No Problem, NUT.

Maybe not the most talented ILB in the history of the game. But NO ONE had a bigger heart, or personified what it meant to be a Patriot, than Tedy. NO ONE.

p1_bruschi_ap.jpg

The Jests are going down tonight! Its almost not even fair!

bruschi.jpg

The more I think about it, the more I believe... we will not lose on Tedy Bruschi night. Just not happening.

:rocker:

Tedy quotes:

"There was a time in my recuperation and healing where I just had to tell myself it is just time to get up and live your life the way you want to live”

"I have no type of reservations, ... I think I've done ... everything that I had to do to make sure that my confidence level is high for when I need to stick my face in there. I'm going to stick it in and I'm going to stick it in hard.”

“Do you believe in unicorns?”

"Whatever my coach decides to do, I trust that.”

“I can play linebacker, that's all, ... We all have our own individual jobs to do and, right now, we all have to get better at doing them.”

“I'm back playing the game that I love.”

"I'm not really aware of the Pro Bowl thing. My brother jokes with me, saying, `Ted, I voted for you 10 times today.' I say, `Just chill out. We're getting ready for Jacksonville.' You know me. I'm not going to dwell on things like that. To me, success comes with winning football games. And that's what I want to do."

"Football will never be a business to me. It will always be a game where as soon as the ball gets snapped, as soon as I get out on that field, I'm going to put my heart out there and be emotional no matter what the circumstances."

"I can assure you we don't have anyone on this team named Destiny."

"I'd rather be a player with desire and heart and fire than a player with all the talent in the world. I've seen so many guys with talent who should be here, but they're not, because they didn't have the heart or the desire."

"To be successful, you've got to want it. You've got to have a burning desire to go out and accomplish whatever it is you're determined to do.

"With me, I've always gone all all out. I give it all I've got and, whatever the result is, it is. Whatever I'm doing, I do it hard."

"I'm not a classic anything. I'm just a classic football player. I've always been characterized as not this or not that. Whatever, man. Put me out there and I'm going to get it done no matter what.''

Last edited:
So many great Tedy memories. But the one I remember the most is when in the playoff game againrts the Colts, he tore the ball away from the Colts player. It seemed to take for ever, and I started to laugh because of Tedy's determination and the Colts players utter chock.

So many great Tedy memories. But the one I remember the most is when in the playoff game againrts the Colts, he tore the ball away from the Colts player. It seemed to take for ever, and I started to laugh because of Tedy's determination and the Colts players utter chock.

...After being held in check, the Colts put together their most sustained drive, moving the ball inside the Patriots' 40-yard line. On a second-and-17 from the Pats' 39, running back Dominic Rhodes caught a screen pass from Manning. Rhodes was immediately met by Bruschi, who attacked the ball and successfully stripped it away to end the scoring threat. The way Bruschi described the play, it was a classic mano-a-mano battle, one he had no intention of losing.

"What that is is somebody wanting it more than the other guy. It was me and him, and the ball was right there. That was a take-away. Hopefully, (the Colts) won't be calling that a giveaway because that was a takeaway.''

"I'm just trying to think of what excuses they'll be saying in the locker room right now...I wonder what rules they want to change now. Maybe it will be we can't play a game in the snow. I don't know, but they will think of something. I was just tired of it. I was tired of hearing this and that, them talking about the last game (a 27-24 Patriots victory in the season-opener) and how we didn't win the game, that they lost the game by giving the ball away...we just took it away from them.''

I remember the first Patriots game I watched, Tedy had his first two sacks of his career. They beat Baltimore 45-34 or something like that, but I instantly knew he would be my personal favorite.

we need a scouting report on these guys:

tedy-bruschi.jpg

Here's a nice tribute:

The eyes of America were on a different Teddy all last week as a nation said goobye to U.S. Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, but on Monday the minds and hearts of Patriots Nation was focused solely on Tedy Bruschi as he announced his retirement.

I know some of you are thinking “Oh great, a sports post,” but you don’t have to be a sports fan to appreciate Tedy’s body of work. Bruschi was drafted by the Patriots in 1996 as a defensive end out of Arizona. The only problem is he was ridiculously undersized. The coaching staff didn’t know what to do with him at first. But Tedy ended up making the (extraordinarily difficult) transition to linebacker where he was still undersized and overlooked, but he’d soon prove his worth.

Tedy Bruschi worked hard. All the time. At no point in his illustrious career was Tedy the best player on the field or even on his own team, but he was one of the most indispensable. Because he made himself so valuable to the team through hard work and he displayed a leadership quality that you’re either born with or you’re not.

For 13 years Tedy left it all out on the field and off. Yup, that’s right. Off the field. Where so many athletes falter, Tedy thrived. There was no OUI, rape allegations or dogfighting rings. It’s a well known fact Tedy made his home near the stadium in North Attleboro and hasn’t shied away from the public like so many other players. The fans gravitated towards Tedy because he was a hard worker and he was an underdog. But more importantly, Tedy got it. He came here and he saw how passionate New England fans are. He saw a fan base just DYING to embrace their athletes, and he realized if he played his cards right and returned that love and passion, it would come back to him 10-fold.

Ever since his rookie year, Tedy Bruschi has been my favorite professional athlete. And so it was a HUGE day for me when I was working as a cub reporter for the Country Gazette and my editor told me to go cover Tedy Bruschi’s visit to a local school. Now you have to understand, journalists are supposed to remain aloof. We are supposed to be unaffected when we spy celebrities and remain impartial at all costs.

Yeah right! When I saw Tedy Bruschi I was just as excited as all the 3rd graders who bull rushed him and fought to sit next to him. This was 2002, the season after the Patriots won their first Super Bowl. And when Tedy flashed his ring bling I had to stop myself bowing before him a la Wayne & Garth chanting “WE’RE NOT WORTHY!” But when I did get him one-on-one to ask him some questions, he was courteous and funny and very self-deprecating as one of the kids told him he looks “too small to play with all those big guys on TV.”

Tedy asked me if I had any more questions and I panicked paused because I did have one, but I was embarrassed to ask. Sensing my trepidation, he said “Would you like an autographed picture?” It was like he read my mind. OF COURSE I WANTED AN AUTOGRAPHED PICTURE! At that point I could contain it no longer. I told him he was my favorite athlete. I told him I loved how he played the game. And then I told him I have a Bruschi Patriots jersey I wear on game days.

He looked up at me in surprise and I was worried he was going to call his bodyguards over and arrest me for stalking or something. I started to backpedal but Tedy broke into a grin and said “Wow. Really? You have my jersey? That’s so cool. I know there are a lot of great players out there and it always amazes me when people pick me.”

I won’t lie, that’s when my Man Crush really kicked into gear. I’ve met a handful of sports celebrities and honestly, almost all of them are disappointing. There’s just no way they can live up to expectations. Either they get in trouble off the field, they end up in a contract dispute and quit on their team or they’re lost to free agency.

But not Tedy. Tedy played all 13 years with the Patriots. He was a free agent once and he put his toe in the water, even visiting a few cities. But he came back and he signed with the Patriots. Not only that, he signed for a fraction of what some other team would’ve paid him. Because Tedy was the rare athlete who understood what it was all about. He was willing to take less to stay in a situation where he was beloved by the fans. To this day, he makes it a point to be the only one in his neighborhood who gives out regular full size candy bars to trick or treaters at Halloween. You can’t make this stuff up. He did things the right way and the fans loved him for it.

Never was that more clear than after Tedy’s stroke in 2005. When we watched Tedy leave the hospital, held up by his wife, we knew his career was over. But we didn’t care about that. Do you know how rare it is for a fan base to collectively say “We don’t care about the team or sports right now, we just want you to be OK?” It was just after winning his third Super Bowl and much had been made in the press of Tedy playing with his two boys on the field just hours before the game.

And that’s all anyone could think of…Tedy Bruschi the father not Tedy the linebacker. We wanted him to get well, live for a long time and be with his wife and kids. We were sad and we were resigned to the fact that Tedy Bruschi’s career was over.

But on October 30, 2005 — just 8 months after suffering a stroke and having a hole in his heart repaired — Tedy Bruschi improbably ran onto the field for a game against the Buffalo Bills.

I know because I was there. Section 141, Row 11. Our end zone seats. Seats we’ve watched hundreds of games from over the years and seen some incredible things. But perhaps nothing will top the crowd’s reaction when Bruschi was announced and ran onto the field. Fans were screaming, smiling, laughing and crying. Gillette Stadium was swaying as we hailed our underdog, who not only overcame adversity because of his size but literally had to battle a stroke that left him temporarily blind and unable to walk. It was a mini miracle, and it couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy.

There are many sports stories I plan to regale my son with when he’s older. The 2004 Red Sox, the Patriots dynasty, Pedro Martinez, Curt Schilling’s bloddy sock game, Big Papi’s walk offs and Tom Brady’s golden arm. And then I will tell him about Tedy Bruschi, daddy’s favorite athlete of all time, and I will use Tedy’s life to illustrate the fact that hard work is its own reward and greatness can be achieved no matter the circumstances. That toughness isn’t all about muscles, but that brains and an iron will are even more important.

Tedy Bruschi will never be inducted into the Hall of Fame in Canton. But it doesn’t matter, because he is the rare athlete who embraced his role, gave his all, overcame seemingly insurmountable odds and never compromised himself or his character. Hell, Patriots coach Bill Belichick called Bruschi “the perfect player” and nearly cried during yesterday’s press conference. For Belichick to use the word “perfect” is unbelievable and to nearly cry? I assume the guy’s circuitry would’ve shorted out if actual human tears had been shed. What further confirmation do you need if Tedy’s character and determination can reduce a cyborg to tears?

But seriously, Tedy proved that loving a sports team and its players is not a pointless or meaningless act. Because every once in a while, a guy like Tedy Bruschi comes along and reminds you of why you love sports so much in the first place.

Thanks #54. Thanks for your class, your dedication, your willingness to serve as a role model and your heart. Especially your heart.

http://www.daddyfiles.com/2009/09/01/thank-you-tedy-bruschi/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back