PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Perfect Prospect Fits for NE

In the mid Rd's I like this guy-Tyler Kroft TE 65-240

These are some late Rd.-UDFA's I like....
Gary Nova QB 6-2 220
Savory Huggins RB 6-0 200
Micheal Burton FB 6-0 235
Kaleb Johnson OG 6-4 305
Betim Bujari OC 6-0 295
Johnathan Aiken FS 5-11 190
Lorenzo Waters SS 5-11 205

(Note:There's a common thread connecting all these players;))
All RU boys, being from NJ, I wouldn't want one of these boys, none of interest besides Kroft, Nova is awful, his NFL career will end next August if he's ever signed

They have skill sets and talents that would thrive with TB and BB

I agree with them under that definition. But that also opens up to a much larger group of prospects than I think of in terms of "perfect fit".

I agree with them under that definition. But that also opens up to a much larger group of prospects than I think of in terms of "perfect fit".
Share, open thread, would love to hear

Hope I didn't piss you off, love your work on the thread Manx

No, not at all. Thing is, I've tried to find "perfect fits" in previous years and failed miserably. But it has given me some insight into what a prototype Patriot draftee is like and those guys didn't really fit that measure which was the point I was making. They are all very reasonable prospects to discuss as fitting on to the current roster - I'm probably the biggest Abdullah fan here after all. It was just question of semantics. Always appreciate your input.

One interesting bit of news is that Florida Gator Leon Orr walked off the team yesterday, annoyed with his role as a backup. Bearing in mind that he's a Florida defensive lineman and he's 6-5 and 305lbs, he comes close to being a "perfect fit". The walking off the team thing is obviously an issue but aside from that, I'd pencil him in as a potential Patriot UDFA.

Share, open thread, would love to hear

There are tons of players who have the "skills and talents that would thrive with TB and BB":

- Devin Funchess, WR/TE, Michigan
- Devante Parker, WR, Louisville
- Tyler Kroft, TE, Rutgers
- Ty Sambrailo, OL, Colorado St.
- La'el Collins, OL, LSU
- Spencer Drango, OL, Baylor
- Eddie Goldman, DT, Florida St.
- Arik Armstead, DE/DT, Oregon
- Shilique Calhoun, DE/OLB, Michigan St.
- Bernardrick McKinney, LB, Mississippi St.
- Eric Striker, OLB, Okahoma
- Eric Kendricks, LB, UCLA

Just to name a few. These are all "good prospects" for the Pats. They have the skills, talents and temperament to thrive in our system. That's different to me than being a "perfect fit".

Again, I'm being picky. I have no doubt that the guys you mentioned have the skills and talents to thrive in our system.

One interesting bit of news is that Florida Gator Leon Orr walked off the team yesterday, annoyed with his role as a backup. Bearing in mind that he's a Florida defensive lineman and he's 6-5 and 305lbs, he comes close to being a "perfect fit". The walking off the team thing is obviously an issue but aside from that, I'd pencil him in as a potential Patriot UDFA.

Walter Football has consistently been mocking him to the Pats in the 3rd round.

Walter Football has consistently been mocking him to the Pats in the 3rd round.

I never felt he offered enough as a pass rusher to be drafted that early but I've always had my on him as a possible Pat.

There are tons of players who have the "skills and talents that would thrive with TB and BB":

- La'el Collins, OL, LSU

Just to name a few. These are all "good prospects" for the Pats. They have the skills, talents and temperament to thrive in our system. That's different to me than being a "perfect fit".

Again, I'm being picky. I have no doubt that the guys you mentioned have the skills and talents to thrive in our system.

Whilst I quite like him as a prospect, Striker seems like the most unlikely prospect for BB that there's ever been. That's not a criticism of your judgement of him because he fits with the defense you're envisioning for the Pats, a lot of which has come true. I'm merely thinking in terms of how a 220b, linear pass rushing only linebacker that plays for Oklahoma is about as far away from the (previously perceived) prototype Pat can be.

I'm onboard with one of Mayo's early binkies. I like the LB from Miss St. Mckinney. BB loves his jumbo sized lb's. The real Mayo's contract is an issue. And, I see Collins sliding into Ninko's role when he go 4-2-5 eventually. I like Mike Davis the rb from South Carolina. Plays at a big school in the best conference. Can catch the ball and has produced.

Whilst I quite like him as a prospect, Striker seems like the most unlikely prospect for BB that there's ever been. That's not a criticism of your judgement of him because he fits with the defense you're envisioning for the Pats, a lot of which has come true. I'm merely thinking in terms of how a 220b, linear pass rushing only linebacker that plays for Oklahoma is about as far away from the (previously perceived) prototype Pat can be.

I completely agree. I included him to some extent to highlight how many different types of players could be included under an expanded definition. I can't see BB spending a high enough pick to draft Striker, but he certainly has the skills and talents to thrive - much like Shaq Thompson.

I completely agree. I included him to some extent to highlight how many different types of players could be included under an expanded definition. I can't see BB spending a high enough pick to draft Striker, but he certainly has the skills and talents to thrive - much like Shaq Thompson.

I will say this. I don't think for a minute that we'll draft him but if we did, I'd start getting very excited about the fact that BB is creating a very attacking defense. I've not watched Bruce Irvin in Seattle and I don't think he's warranted the high pick but that's how I think of Striker as a comparison.

I will say this. I don't think for a minute that we'll draft him but if we did, I'd start getting very excited about the fact that BB is creating a very attacking defense. I've not watched Bruce Irvin in Seattle and I don't think he's warranted the high pick but that's how I think of Striker as a comparison.

Eric Striker, Shane Ray, Shaq Thompson and possibly even Vic Beasley are all guys who I think could thrive in a more aggressive and attacking version of our hybrid defense. I doubt BB will go that way, however. It doesn't seem to be his defensive personality.

I'd love to to have Shaq Thompson here but at this point he may be a luxury. Watched him play safety vs Stanford and he was just natural. Of course he forced 2 fumbles and returned one for a TD. Like others have mentioned I don't see him being a full time LB because of his size on this team. But my lord, his versatility and playmaking ability is off the charts great. He has played running back the last 2 weeks for Washington and ran for 174 and 100. Strong safety is where I would put him and I'm sure BB would love to have this kind of versatility from a player.

At any rate, I still have OT/G, DE, ILB as bigger needs than strong safety. But I do admit the guy does intrigue the hell out of me. The comparisons to Cam Chancellor would be quite a strong expectation to live up to in this article.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ts-as-2015-nfl-drafts-most-versatile-prospect

Some quick thoughts about the Perfect draft pick that I still hold onto.

1. Early rounders, with some exceptions tend to be from ACC, SEC, Big-10. There have been notable picks from the PAC-12 though. If you look at our draft history, it really is noticeable how few players we draft from the Big-12 however. I think Ty Warren, Bethel Johnson, Josh Boyce and Ellis Hobbs are the only significant ones.

2. Late round picks almost always come from the bigger programs. They are very few small school high upside risk picks in the late rounds.

3. Not all picks are seniors but almost all are four year players at least. Not many true juniors or RS sophomores on the list.

That;s only a rough guide. It's interesting to note for example that three of the four players we've picked in rounds one and two these last two years played for Marshall, Eastern Illinois and Southern Miss.

I am still a fan of Ellis McCarthy of ucla. Perfect wide body run stuffer for our defense.

My perfect pats o line pick is aj cann of sc.

- La'el Collins, OL, LSU

Everyone I bolded I either agree with (Funchess, Calhoun, Armstead) or am a fan of

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back