PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pereira on Polian and point of emphasis

Status
Not open for further replies.

everlong

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
The Rules & Direction of the NFL 98.5 The Sports Hub – Boston's New Home For Sports

I'm not sure if this was posted already, I searched and didn't find it. Say what you will about Felger and he can be a douche but he asked the question and Pereira answers it point blank about Polian bringing this to the competition committee and changing the rule to benefit his team. He admits he wouldn't be saying it if Sunday wasn't his last game in charge. He also talks about how he didn't agree with the change and how he's been trying for forever to get a 15 yard pass interference penalty with only a spot foul for take downs.

12:30 mark is that conversation but really the entire interview he says some very interesting stuff and a great BB story.

Re: Pereira on Polian and point of emphasis.

What?

Care to clarify what you're talking about

The Rules & Direction of the NFL 98.5 The Sports Hub – Boston's New Home For Sports

I'm not sure if this was posted already, I searched and didn't find it. Say what you will about Felger and he can be a douche but he asked the question and Pereira answers it point blank about Polian bringing this to the competition committee and changing the rule to benefit his team. He admits he wouldn't be saying it if Sunday wasn't his last game in charge. He also talks about how he didn't agree with the change and how he's been trying for forever to get a 15 yard pass interference penalty with only a spot foul for take downs.

12:30 mark is that conversation but really the entire interview he says some very interesting stuff and a great BB story.

Thanks for posting the clip = really interesting stuff......polian has more power than we realize. You would think as head of officiating, Pereira would be listened to as an expert with credibility as opposed to being neutered by the rules commitee members.

What Perreira said is what I've been saying for years. Make incidental pass interference plays 15 yard penalties but make flagrant pass interference penalties a spot foul.

Thanks for sharing. It was very honest and refreshing.

Well, I never thought I'd say this but hats off to Felger.

Good job, Felgie!!!!!!!

I have always liked the spot foul, but this year it appeared that the officials are getting gun shy about making the call because it is such a big penalty. Moss was getting interfered with a lot on downfield routes and Brady mentioned it in his weekly WEEI appearance that the officials were letting a lot more go downfield (to the benefit of Patriot db's as well). Maybe a 15 yard penalty would make the officials more willing to call the penalty.

Nice story about Coach. Nice to here the talk about Polian, Martz and Holmgren, too. Just affirms what everyone has known for years. When a team can't beat you, you change the rules.

Anyone know how to send this to Florio?

Unfortunately, this crap's become mainstreamed in the league, and his "I didn't like it" as he's walking out the door will likely have no effect at all. Manning is still in the league running a timing pattern offense, after all. If Pereira had shown any balls at the time and come out against the idiocy, Manning probably still wouldn't have a Super Bowl title and defenses wouldn't be playing on such an uneven playing field.

Thanks for posting! Interesting stuff. I have to say that Felger does a good interview, but Mass still sounds like a little weenie.

What Perreira said is what I've been saying for years. Make incidental pass interference plays 15 yard penalties but make flagrant pass interference penalties a spot foul.
That would be a disaster because then every single PI call would generate endless debate on "that should've/not have been flagrant!"

That would be a disaster because then every single PI call would generate endless debate on "that should've/not have been flagrant!"

Indeed. It would be like the 5/15 rule on facemasks. That goodness that's gone.

I think it would work, the roughing the kicker penalties seem to be working ok.

Obviously you don't know what flagrant means. It would be when the defender is completely smoked and interferes with the receiver on purpose instead of the incidental ones down field. The NBA doesn't have a problem with it.

I think it would work, the roughing the kicker penalties seem to be working ok.

That's because they happen about 1-2 times a year per team. If they were happening every game, there'd be close calls leaving people howling.

Just like it is in College Football . . . NOT.

hey,OT for a second...the Supe replay is on..Colts just went up 10-0...NFLNetwork

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes