PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Per NFLN- Spikes OLB Pass Rusher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Was just watching Total Access draft review. The analysts (Lombardi/Casserly/Davis) all agreed that Spikes can be a situational OLB pass rusher.

I haven't heard any discussion on that here.

Anyone with any insight?

Also, Casserly nevers seems to have anything bad to say about the Pats. What is BB's beef with him?

Casserly is a former regular on the Competition Comittee and one of the talking heads who went out of his way to run NE down in 2007 while "explaining" the rules. BB apparently has no use for him as someone who liked to take the football out of football.

As for Spikes, his predraft bios usually noted how good he was as a pass rusher, not just as someone who blitzed but someone who could create in his rush. I'm sure there will be opportunities for him to provide an inside rush.

Just a caution flag for folks, if Spikes groin injury was bad enough last season, and he was still suffering the effects of it in his 40 for his Pro-Day, don't be surprised if he starts Training Camp on PUP or even misses a few weeks at the start of the season.

Casserly is a former regular on the Competition Comittee and one of the talking heads who went out of his way to run NE down in 2007 while "explaining" the rules. BB apparently has no use for him as someone who liked to take the football out of football.

As for Spikes, his predraft bios usually noted how good he was as a pass rusher, not just as someone who blitzed but someone who could create in his rush. I'm sure there will be opportunities for him to provide an inside rush.

Just a caution flag for folks, if Spikes groin injury was bad enough last season, and he was still suffering the effects of it in his 40 for his Pro-Day, don't be surprised if he starts Training Camp on PUP or even misses a few weeks at the start of the season.

He didn't miss any of Florida's games.

Spikes is best used as an inside pass rusher. This is where he'll disrupt things the best.

As soon as they took Spikes I said to myself that everyone was off about him playing inside. Because of his size and determination I figured him for the edge at least part of the time - like on 3rd down when Guyton can play inside for coverage. And what of Tyrone? What if Mackenzie materializes and can still run after blowing out his knee? Then he and Spike(s) will flip flop off the edge and the middle, one of them might even just stay outside all the time. Tell me that Spikes isn't as fast or faster than AD and I won't believe you. I bet you in game timing he's faster than TBC, and TBC had 9+ sacks last year. If Tyrone is healed the Pats could suddenly have a strong LB corps. Let's not even get greedy and suppose Crable finally arrives...yow.

Last edited:
I heard that and I called bunky on it immediately. Someone brought it up before they were to end the segment and the other 2 just accepted it because the segment was ending. I dont believe it, I doubt those other 2 guys do either. As fast as Guyton is he would likely give way to the thumer inside and maybe he moves outside. Maybe they all end up on IR and we can never know...man dont you HATE the IR??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes