Welcome to PatsFans.com

Per Mortenson, Jake Long to Miami done

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by patchick, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -2

#11 Jersey

2. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  3. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +253 / 22 / -10

#18 Jersey

Let the speculation on who the Rams are going to take begin in earnest.
  4. JoePats

JoePats Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Russell FYI got 32 in guarantees last year with a maximimum value of 68 mil over 6 years.
  5. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +174 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

6. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +253 / 22 / -10

#18 Jersey

Hopefully it isn't Chris Long. I'm hoping that he'll be available for the Patriots, but I'm not holding my breath.
  7. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Interesting but I agree..it's done early and now the Rams can continue it all....Hmmm makes it more interesting with ONE pick all done...delivered...
  8. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Jake's deal features around a $100K yearly avg increase over Russell's, and $30M "guaranteed" is actually a better deal on a 5 year contract, since he can enter free agency a year earlier.

OT: If I have the option of signing a player to a six year contract, I'm going to do everything I can to get that extra year.
  9. PatsandTrojans55

PatsandTrojans55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Patchick,

Jay Glazer of Foxsports broke this story followed by Schefter then ESPN (As they're notoriously known to do) tried to scoop the information and give credit to Mort because of his supposed close relationship to the Tuna.

Notice espn says "Sources told" instead of Chris Mortenson is reporting. Big difference there. Here's the real sources Schefter (Money) after Glazer (Story).
    PT55

LONG GETS $30 MILLION GUARANTEED
    Posted by Mike Florio on April 22, 2008, 1:16 p.m.
    Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that tackle Jake Long will receive $30 million guaranteed as part of his five-year, $57.5 million deal with the Miami Dolphins.
    Long will get $2 million less in guaranteed money and $3.5 million less in total money than Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell received a year ago, but Long is tied up for one less season.

And since different people interpret the term “guaranteed” differently, the only way to compare Long’s deal to Russell’s is to line ‘em up and parse the language.

For Parcells, it’s a win because he paid less money. For Long (and his agent), it’s a win because the deal covers one less season.

We’d still love to know whether Vernon Gholston had a meaningful chance to take less money than that.

Permalink | 4 Comments Back to Top
    THE RAMS ARE ON THE CLOCK
    Posted by Mike Florio on April 22, 2008, 12:59 p.m.
    The St. Louis Rams are now free to negotiate with any incoming rookie. Except left tackle Jake Long. Because, according to Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com, Long has agreed to terms with the Miami Dolphins to become the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

It’s a five-year deal, which might be one of the major concessions that the Dolphins had to make in order to hold down the total money to be paid to Long. Typically, the No. 1 overall pick signs a six-year deal.

Glazer says that Long is already in the building, for a press conference that apparently will start at 1:45 p.m. EDT.

There are many details to be discovered about this one, including whether linebacker/defensive end Vernon Gholston ever had a chance to take less than the amount that was accepted by Long. Since Long and Gholston are represented by the same firm, any efforts to leverage one player against the other likely never materialized — even though it would have been in Gholston’s best interests for a reverse bidding war to occur.

As it now stands, Gholston could slide out of the top five, and he’ll earn far less money than if he’d been the No. 1 overall pick.

For those of you who still don’t realize the extent of the conflict of interest that CAA had on this issue, think of it this way. Gholston’s agent should have been calling the Dolphins every five minutes, pimping his client and suggesting that he’d consider doing something less than Long’s deal in order to be the No. 1 overall pick. In turn, Long’s agent should have then been required to scramble in order to keep the Fins focused on his client.

But since both men are represented by the same agency, it most likely never happened. And, as we suspected, Gholston is the one who has gotten screwed.
  10. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

It really does change up the top of the draft. Does KC target Clady now, or do they trade down? What does Atlanta do if Dorsey is off the board?

Don't be surprised to see New Orleans try to trade into the #2 pick. They looooove Dorsey.
  11. bakes781

bakes781 Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

ESPN radio just had Scott Linehan on & of course he wouldn't say who he was picking lol but he did mention DL as one of their biggest needs.

I agree on Dorsey.
  12. signbabybrady

signbabybrady On the Roster

Ratings:
    +170 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

I think anyone who did a Mock should not be allowed to change now that Jake went one. If you were wrong your wrong. I mean media people, I don't care how many you guys on here do.
  13. PaulThePat

PaulThePat Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

How does this work on Draft Day ? Do they simply not start the clock for Miami and announce Jake Long as the No 1 pick straight away ?
  14. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +483 / 7 / -5

So . . . $57M/5 = $11.4M/yr with $30M/5 = $6M/yr guaranteed
    $68M/6 = $11.33M/yr with $32M/6 = $5.33M/yr guaranteed

So, (very slightly) higher potential average, much higher guarantee.
  15. Watson's IQ

Watson's IQ Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

My money is on Dorsey, but I've been wrong before.
  16. PatsandTrojans55

PatsandTrojans55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Dorsey will be pick #2 (my opinion based on what I hear about the Rams plan and based on what I sense teams are feeling about Chris Long). (Nothing bad about Long just some cold feet from some moreso than others but Dorsey fits better with the plan.)
    PT55
  17. PatsandTrojans55

PatsandTrojans55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They start the clock and Miami puts in the pick when they are ready and can take the full 10 minutes if desired.
    PT55
  18. bakes781

bakes781 Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

lol this is why I hold off posting a mock until the last week.

No they'll still put Miami on the clock. Most years the #1 is signed prior to draft day. Leave it to Al Davis to not know they could do that. :p
  19. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 3 / -0

So it's looking like

1. J Long
    2. Dorsey
    3. Ryan
    4. McFadden
    5. Clady
    6. C Long
    7. Gholston

or
    1. J Long
    2. Dorsey
    3. Ryan
    4. Gholston
    5. Clady
    6. C. Long
    7. trade down with a team that wants McFadden or Ellis

Either way, it looks like the Pats have a very good shot at trading up to #5 for C. Long, so that KC can take Clady at #7.
  20. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

or

1. J Long
    2. C Long (depending if St. L would rather line up a DT-DE combo of Carriker-Long or Dorsey-Carriker)
    3. Dorsey (New Orleans has reportedly been trying to trade into this spot)
    4. Gholston
    5. Clady
    6. McFadden
    7. ????? I guess if somebody wants to get ahead of Baltimore for Ryan, or Baltimore themselves.

It's really wide open.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.