PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Per ESPN: Josh McDaniels new HC of Broncos; Capers will follow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Per ESPN: Josh McDaniels new HC of Broncos

Good Luck to Josh.

It will be interesting to see how he does as a HC. My initial thoughts is that as good as he has done as a OC, he'll struggle with the complexities of the whole show, given his young age.

Eventually he'll do a good job, but initially he will probably have a rough go replacing Shanny.

Wow, he's only 32? Is he the youngest head coach ever?

He was 18 when his predecessor with the Broncos first started coaching!

How many points did we score with the best offense in the history of the NFL?

We lost because of poor play calling, especially the lack af adjustments.

The defense held the Giants to a score that would win most games even for teams with an average offense. With our offense, we should have buried them.

It is easy to call anyone who disagrees with you a hater, Robo, but the fact is that my opinion is as valid as yours. It doesn't make me a hater any more than you are a ballwasher, which you obvioulsy aren't. You simply admire someone I despise. Let's leave it at that and leave "hater" talk to the maroons and ijiots who think that anyone who disagrees with them is somehow stupid.

I am not predicting what we do in the future. That depends on a lot of variables. But if we ever get the best offense in the history of the NFL again, I hope we can score more than 14 points in the biggest game of the year, and not have the biggest coaching choke job in the history of the Patriots (lots of bigger choke jobs in NFL playcalling history. McDaniels isn't the worst, just the worst the Patriots have had)

But this Pats fan is one happy camper right now. I think our chances for another Lombardi improved dramtically, and for that I am super-pleased.

McDaniels is a very good OC but he did get outcoached in that one and he never adjusted either. It's not all on him but as the OC he is partially, more than most, to blame for that loss. Spagnuolo outcoaching him in that one is what most fans in Denver are crying about right now since he was their #1 choice but Josh has adjusted this past season and will continue to grow as a coach. Good luck to him.

Sorry if this was talked about in another thread or something, but is there any chance/interest of Crennel coming back to be our OC?

It is easy to call anyone who disagrees with you a hater, Robo, but the fact is that my opinion is as valid as yours. It doesn't make me a hater any more than you are a ballwasher, which you obvioulsy aren't. You simply admire someone I despise. Let's leave it at that and leave "hater" talk to the maroons and ijiots who think that anyone who disagrees with them is somehow stupid.

Wasn't talking about people who didn't like McDaniels as an OC. I am talking about the people who blamed McDaniels for virtually everything that went wrong with the offense and put most of the blame on his shoulders when the Pats lost even if the Pats scored over 30 points.

I thought McDaniels was a great OC for the Pats and obviously Belichick and other people in the NFL agree with me. People are entitled to their opinions too, but those people who blame McDaniels for everything that went wrong with the offense and used the excuse that anyone could have done what McDaniels did last year (there are still at least a half dozen of them) are the ones I would consider haters. And hope that next year doesn't prove them wrong or the offense could take a big step back even with Brady at 100%.

I blame the defense for our Super Bowl loss and the AFC Championship loss.
It's too bad someone didn't offer Dean Pees a job too. I'm not sold on his ability to coordinate our defense.

I would agree with that. Our defense has become very soft under Pees. It's leading characteristics seem to be poor red zone defense and inability to make the big stop when necessary. I have great hopes that we are building a strong nucleus with AD, Mayo and Meriweather, but I'm not convinced that we'll ever be a dominant defense under Pees no matter how talented the personnel.

McDaniels certainly deserves some credit for bringing Cassel along well this year. I'm not sure he deserves much for the 2007 offensive bonanza - that was almost inevitable with the personnel. I'm not at all sure he is ready to be a head coach, but I wish him well and hope he succeeds.

Sorry if this was talked about in another thread or something, but is there any chance/interest of Crennel coming back to be our OC?

crennel is a defense guy

Wasn't talking about people who didn't like McDaniels as an OC. I am talking about the people who blamed McDaniels for virtually everything that went wrong with the offense and put most of the blame on his shoulders when the Pats lost even if the Pats scored over 30 points.

I thought McDaniels was a great OC for the Pats and obviously Belichick and other people in the NFL agree with me. People are entitled to their opinions too, but those people who blame McDaniels for everything that went wrong with the offense and used the excuse that anyone could have done what McDaniels did last year (there are still at least a half dozen of them) are the ones I would consider haters. And hope that next year doesn't prove them wrong or the offense could take a big step back even with Brady at 100%.

The offense will be fine with Brady, Moss, Welker, solid OL, etc don't worry. Everyone thought when Weis left the world would end.

He was 18 when his predecessor with the Broncos first started coaching!

Good God, that is insane. I didn't realize Shanahan was the HC that long.

Good Luck to Josh.

It will be interesting to see how he does as a HC. My initial thoughts is that as good as he has done as a OC, he'll struggle with the complexities of the whole show, given his young age.

Eventually he'll do a good job, but initially he will probably have a rough go replacing Shanny.

Personally, I don't think he will struggle with the complexities of the whole show. I think if he struggles, I think it will be in the leadership department. He doesn't look to be able to rule by fear and respect the way Belichick rules. He doesn't look to have a hard-arse persona like a Parcells or Coughlin (for example). He doesn't have the experience to get the players to just trust him. He is also dealing with the legacy of Shanahan especially with older players (although he didn't seem to have problems getting out from under Weis' shadow).

Bummer.

VVV

lets just hope mcdaniels doesnt take anyone else off the coaching staff. i would not be surprised to see crennel come back in a role similar to capers. bill o'brien will probably replace mcdaniels.

The offense will be fine with Brady, Moss, Welker, solid OL, etc don't worry. Everyone thought when Weis left the world would end.

I don't think the Pats will become an ineffective offense. I just think it could take a step back. There is a lot of room to drop from last year's offense and even the second half of this year's offense.

I don't know, I think he is still too young. He's going to lack the gravitas required for a head coach.

What's the rush, Josh?

I would agree with that. Our defense has become very soft under Pees. It's leading characteristics seem to be poor red zone defense and inability to make the big stop when necessary. I have great hopes that we are building a strong nucleus with AD, Mayo and Meriweather, but I'm not convinced that we'll ever be a dominant defense under Pees no matter how talented the personnel.

McDaniels certainly deserves some credit for bringing Cassel along well this year. I'm not sure he deserves much for the 2007 offensive bonanza - that was almost inevitable with the personnel. I'm not at all sure he is ready to be a head coach, but I wish him well and hope he succeeds.

I do think the make up of the defense is much different now. Not only are they not nearly as tough and physical, but they don't seem to be nearly as deceptive as they used to be at least on a regular basis. Under Crennel the defensive players would do a lot more moving on and off the line and disguising their coverages and blitzes than they have in recent years.

There's 7 players on the Broncos that are as old or older than Josh McDaniels and 14 over the age of 30 :eek:

I don't think the Pats will become an ineffective offense. I just think it could take a step back. There is a lot of room to drop from last year's offense and even the second half of this year's offense.

And the offense could improve next year. Change is not always a bad thing. Come on guys, cheer up.

One of these days it would be nice if some former pats would choose the NFC :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey