PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peppers trade rumor on the radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would take Peppers for Cassell in a straight up trade, in a heart beat. They could throw in a third rounder for good measure, but our biggest problem right now is the lack of a pass rush. Everything BB does on defense relies on a good rush. Peppers would be an instant contributor, and with AD back from injury we could be in a great defensive spot next year.

I would look at it like, the lost Brady year gives us Julius Peppers. yeah i'd be happy with that.

The only problem I see is that you are assuming Stafford will be available at #3.
The Lions have played the Joey Harrington card before. They need a whole new team not one QB at 0-16.
DW Toys

I would take Peppers for Cassell in a straight up trade, in a heart beat. They could throw in a third rounder for good measure, but our biggest problem right now is the lack of a pass rush. Everything BB does on defense relies on a good rush. Peppers would be an instant contributor, and with AD back from injury we could be in a great defensive spot next year.

I would look at it like, the lost Brady year gives us Julius Peppers. yeah i'd be happy with that.

Exactly what I'm thinking!

The Lions have played the Joey Harrington card before. They need a whole new team not one QB at 0-16.
DW Toys

I don't know about that. They were competetive in the majority of their games. They have a WR who is as good as it gets, they have a great young RB and some solid defensive players to build around. They need OL and DL help, mostly OL. If they draft say Smith or Monroe with the first pick, trade the 20th to us for Cassel and then a Guard/Center at 33 to go along with Cherilus from last year they could quickly turn it around. They could potentially have the best young OL in football by the '10 or '11 seasons. And that is without adding anyone in FA.

The biggest thing Detroit needs is for someone to show them how to win.

So as of right now all of the big names appear to be off the market:

- Asomugha - signed to a year $45M deal with Oakland
- Suggs - franchised by Baltimore
- Dansby - franchised by Arizona
- Peppers - franchised by Carolina
- Gross - signed by Carolina to a long-term deal with $30M in the first 3 years

So maybe now we can stop with the dreams of glory and move on to FA looking at the value players like Jabari Greer.

Two comments: first, Oakland signing Scrabble and Lechler makes it more likely to me that they will cut Michael Huff, who might be a good pickup at S.

Second, of all the big name players listed above, the only one who is still likely to go anywhere is Peppers, because he has been so adamant about wanting out of Carolina and switching to a 3-4 team, and because Carolina must be in a lot of cap trouble right now. They're either going to have to jettison a lot of players or move Peppers really fast. I think they're in a much worse position than the Pats - Peppers wants out, he's restricting teams we will sign a contract with, he's a 29 year old DE looking at changing positions, and Carolina is in much worse cap shape than the Pats, who could absorb Cassel's franchise hit and sit tight if no one ante's up a worthy offer. Carolina pretty much has to move Peppers, and quickly, it's just a question of what they can get in return. Cassel for Peppers would make a certain amount of sense for both sides, even though it is still an extreme long shot.

Al Davis is at it again :eek:

So do we feel Cassel for Peppers would pretty much be a straight up deal or would there need to be compensation from either party?

So do we feel Cassel for Peppers would pretty much be a straight up deal or would there need to be compensation from either party?

Not that the fans really have any credence into what an owner/GM will do, but on the charlotte observer's message boards they seem to think they can get a 1 and 3 for Peppers. So if they think a 1 and 3 for Peppers and we think a 1 and 2 for Cassel a probable middle ground would be them giving us a 3rd and Peppers for Cassel. But I still think we would ask for more considering Carolina's bargaining power and Peppers' age.

Last edited:

One would think we both could do better. But we also are not going to get the same thing going elsewhere....if really covet the Pass Rusher and they really covet a QB to replace Delhome than this would be the best way for both to attain what they want. Problem is we each may be able to fill more than one need through our deals and may short ourselves...

All I know is forget about what it takes(trade or the contract) and what we might get I am salavating over the thought of getting Peppers.

One would think we both could do better. But we also are not going to get the same thing going elsewhere....if really covet the Pass Rusher and they really covet a QB to replace Delhome than this would be the best way for both to attain what they want. Problem is we each may be able to fill more than one need through our deals and may short ourselves...

All I know is forget about what it takes(trade or the contract) and what we might get I am salavating over the thought of getting Peppers.

If we got Peppers I would by his jersey right when it came out!!!

How monumental do you want it to be? You need to be able to play the linebacker position. Most Defensive ends don't do that well. If they did, we'd have a tremendous pool of players to choose from and we don't.

Huh? You don't need to play ILB and fill; you need to set the edge, rush the passer and cover the flats (basic version). Adalius is outstanding at OLB, Willie Mac was a college 4-3 DE and there is a list of College 4-3 DE's that made the transition. Teams count on them doing it these days. The fact that he's a vet is a plus; he knows what to expect and won't be overwhelmed. You're making too much of it.

It is a significant transition actually. Go ask Vernon Gholston how big it is. If it wasn't a big transition, the Patriots would have drafted or signed more DEs over the years to convert them into OLBs.

Also, Belichick requires versatility, football smarts, instincts, and dedication to the game in his players. Peppers may have that, but he may not.

I would like to have Peppers on this team, but trading the equivalent of a first rounder and paying him top dollar in hopes he can make the transition to the OLB position in the 3-4 is a very risky proposition. Especially with Wilfork and Seymour a year away from hitting free agency.

That's a horrible analogy. There's no guarantee that Ghoston would be any good at 4-3 DE in the NFL either. There were question marks about him coming out of college at any position. It's not a huge deal. Belichick is the best LB coach in the NFL; if anyone could help him through it, he could. He had Adalius playing ILB in the 3-4 at a high level; Adalius had zero experience at that position. If he is an athlete (which Peppers certainly is) and a good football player (check) then Belichick will get him where he needs to be fast.

That's a horrible analogy. There's no guarantee that Ghoston would be any good at 4-3 DE in the NFL either. There were question marks about him coming out of college at any position. It's not a huge deal. Belichick is the best LB coach in the NFL; if anyone could help him through it, he could. He had Adalius playing ILB in the 3-4 at a high level; Adalius had zero experience at that position. If he is an athlete (which Peppers certainly is) and a good football player (check) then Belichick will get him where he needs to be fast.

If it were as easy as you're making it out to be, the Patriots wouldn't need to go looking for players. They'd already have signed them and converted them.

Huh? You don't need to play ILB and fill; you need to set the edge, rush the passer and cover the flats (basic version). Adalius is outstanding at OLB, Willie Mac was a college 4-3 DE and there is a list of College 4-3 DE's that made the transition. Teams count on them doing it these days. The fact that he's a vet is a plus; he knows what to expect and won't be overwhelmed. You're making too much of it.

Why do you think we waited until Thomas, Vrabel and Colvin made the switch before we acquired them? McGinest played some linebacker at usc and high school too.

You're assuming a 6'7" 283 lb. 4-3 DE will make the switch to OLB successfully in a very short time frame, which he'd need to to justify his salary.

Otherwise you'll have a very expensive situational pass rusher for when we switch to a 4-3, which is not our base.

I keep asking, when has he ever played linebacker and haven't gotten any response yet.

Last edited:
He had Adalius playing ILB in the 3-4 at a high level; Adalius had zero experience at that position. If he is an athlete (which Peppers certainly is) and a good football player (check) then Belichick will get him where he needs to be fast.

Since the Ravens played a 3-4 I doubt that's true, but I'll just print a blanket statement about his known versatility when we acquired him.
You will usually see the 6-foot-2-inch, 270-pound Thomas line up in the linebacker position, but this past season the Ravens played the versatile Thomas at eight, yes eight different position.

Thomas has played inside and outside linebacker, he has played every position on the line, and yes he has even lined up at the safety and corner-back position.

Patriots Close to Signing Adalius Thomas Matt’s Blog
Yes, the Patriots and Ravens both employ 3-4 defenses, but saying they're the same would be like saying a Cadillac Escalade and a Chevy Corvette are identical because they're both automobiles. The Ravens tend to attack and blitz more out of their 3-4, while the Patriots are more read and react. The 6-foot-2-inch, 270-pound Thomas, who finished second to Vrabel on the team in sacks last season with 6F, couldn't unleash his uncanny athleticism until he could wrap his mind around the Patriots' defense.

Also, I still think he's much better at OLB.

Last edited:
Are we having a serious discussion on whether Julius Peppers can fit in on the patriots team as an OLB? If Peppers isn't good enough, then I would suggest that almost no one else is. The only issue with Peppers is whether he fits in personally and contractually. He obviously would be an instant upgrade. And yes, we would need to decide whether Vrabel or Thomas should move inside. I think that we have that choice anyway.

Why do you think we waited until Thomas, Vrabel and Colvin made the switch before we acquired them? McGinest played some linebacker at usc and high school too.

You're assuming a 6'7" 283 lb. 4-3 DE will make the switch to OLB successfully in a very short time frame, which he'd need to to justify his salary.

Otherwise you'll have a very expensive situational pass rusher for when we switch to a 4-3, which is not our base.

I keep asking, when has he ever played linebacker and haven't gotten any response yet.

In your opinion what do you think is the biggest hurdle for a 4-3 DE to convert to a 3-4 OLB?

I believe it is athleticism and speed. Guys get out in space and can't make the plays against faster, shiftier and more athletic backs and receivers. Peppers was a running back in high school and a sprinter on a state championship track team.

He nearly weighs 290 pounds and runs a sub 4.7 40. The man is a freak of nature!

Jason Taylor would be the comparison I would make when it comes to DE to OLB conversion. The guy played 4-3 DE at a pro bowl level and then converted to 3-4 OLB and played at a pro bowl level.

Peppers is a top 5 defensive player in the NFL and one could easily have a very strong arguement that he is the best.

Last edited:
In your opinion what do you think is the biggest hurdle for a 4-3 DE to convert to a 3-4 OLB?

I believe it is athleticism and speed. Guys get out in space and can't make the plays against faster, shiftier and more athletic backs and receivers. Peppers was a running back in high school and a sprinter on a state championship track team.

He nearly weighs 290 pounds and runs a sub 4.7 40. The man is a freak of nature!

Jason Taylor would be the comparison I would make when it comes to DE to OLB conversion. The guy played 4-3 DE at a pro bowl level and then converted to 3-4 OLB and played at a pro bowl level.

Peppers is a top 5 defensive player in the NFL and one could easily have a very strong arguement that he is the best.

Also played on UNC's basketball team.

Here's an article on BB and linebackers. It's ESPN insider material, so you'll have to either have that account or settle for what you can get out of the free part of the read:

Belichick redefining LB position - NFL - ESPN

If it were as easy as you're making it out to be, the Patriots wouldn't need to go looking for players. They'd already have signed them and converted them.

Its not just converting that is the problem finding guys that are that big and fast is really the bigger problem.

Of course the conversion isnt always going to work but when you find the right big & fast guy its worth taking your chances.....Well in Peppers case depending on how much he demands he might out price the worth but I think my point is made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back