PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peppers trade rumor on the radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the transition between 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB is not that monumental. Adalius is a 270+ lbs OLB.

Belichick has said his criteria for defenders is "Big guys that can run". Peppers fits the bill.

How monumental do you want it to be? You need to be able to play the linebacker position. Most Defensive ends don't do that well. If they did, we'd have a tremendous pool of players to choose from and we don't.

Ted "mad stork" Hendrix

Are there any current players that remind you of yourself?

I think that mold was thrown away a long time ago. I'm the tallest linebacker that ever played professional football. The position of the linebacker is getting faded out - outside linebacker that is - I don't see anybody in that stature in size becoming a real linebacker. You might have a standup rushing defensive end if you want to call it that or a linebacker. But, his job would just be to rush the passer. To me that's not a linebacker that's qualified to play the pass, the run, and the blitz.

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/release.jsp?release_id=414

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Carolina would want more than a straight up swap.. maybe Cassel and a 3rd

Anyway its likely Dallas throws the house to get him (as usual). Ware and Peppers in the same defense would be scary

Dallas already mortgaged their 2009 future with by dealing their #1 for RW. They don't have any assets to deal unless you're talking TO and I don't think Fox needs that headache.

Mayoclinic and others make some great points about how this would be a great deal for both sides (fills both team's needs), not to mention what BB could do with a stud like Peppers in his scheme. The versatility in playing him down in his 4-3, dropping him into coverage and really being able to take on Willie Mac's elephant role in many of BB's base 3-4 sets.

As was also pointed out, he would make not only the other front-6 better, he makes our CB's better, the entire defense. If Carolina wanted our #3 and Cassel for him and Peppers wants to be here and have a legitimate shot at his first ring as well as sign a CAP friendly deal, damn it, let's do it !

Last edited:
All nonsense aside, getting Peppers would be one hell of a pick up for this team. Let's wax the hypothetical for a second, shall we? First, looking at the contributions he could make in the 34 if he was able to convert fairly quickly. Second, his anciliary value. Third, what it would mean to the rest of the front seven.

Should Peppers make the transition effectively, he represents the most athletic LOLB this team has had under Belichick. His pass rushing skills are no secret, and he will be able to apply tremendous pressure from the various LB positions in the 34, 33 and 23 sets. He is also adept at setting the edge and controlling the outside shoulder of the blocker from the three point. Personally, I feel that engaging blockers is easier from the two point, and should this correlation hold, we will have top-flight edge setter and play stringer. In coverage, first you have a guy who is 6'7. He has the height to disrupt passing lanes, go up and challenge for the ball and press the tight end. He also will have the athleticism to run with most TE's in the league. Something we haven't seen from the left side of the line in a long time.

Should the transition prove to be more difficult than ideal, he presents tremendous value in both the 5-technique out of the 34 and rushing out of the three-point all along the line. With the addition of Peppers, there would be four players on this team that can rush very well with their hands down. He would be a focus point for opposing offenses, alleviating pressure from our current rushers. He could drop into a simple zone from having his hand down, stunt, loop and present a myriad of other complexities for other teams to gameplan for.

Last, he would enable the other playmakers in the front seven to better utilize their abilities. Obviously, Thomas would benefit greatly from this. Teams would be forced to retain additional blockers, to play more honest in their jet cracks, chips and doubleteams. I have a theory about pass rushers and athletic linebackers. It is that the utility of the existing capable rusher increases exponentially with each subsequent addition. This is similar to the "crunch bunch" theory. Carson, Van Pelt, Kelly and Taylor all benefited from individual matchups. If Peppers were to be added to this team, I think Belichick would once again be schematically liberated and capable of unleashing some of his most complex, intricate and effective defenses.

And should Peppers fail to transition to OLB in the 3-4, the Pats will have one of the highest paid defensive players in the league who is a mismatch for their defense. The transition from a 4-3 DE to a 3-4 OLB is not an easy transition for every players. There is a whole different technique playing in a three point stance than there is from a standing position. Not all DEs can handle the shift.

Because the transition between 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB is not that monumental. Adalius is a 270+ lbs OLB.

Belichick has said his criteria for defenders is "Big guys that can run". Peppers fits the bill.

It is a significant transition actually. Go ask Vernon Gholston how big it is. If it wasn't a big transition, the Patriots would have drafted or signed more DEs over the years to convert them into OLBs.

Also, Belichick requires versatility, football smarts, instincts, and dedication to the game in his players. Peppers may have that, but he may not.

I would like to have Peppers on this team, but trading the equivalent of a first rounder and paying him top dollar in hopes he can make the transition to the OLB position in the 3-4 is a very risky proposition. Especially with Wilfork and Seymour a year away from hitting free agency.

I guess only time will tell on Peppers future, as of now he has not been tagged

There are very few player for player trades in The NFL.Peppers would want a huge signing bonus so I don't see this happening.

Last edited:
Square peg??? Round Hole....

Im torn on this .. it will either be brilliant or a disaster .. personally I think the FO would rather have the picks, save the cap space and continue to make the D younger

Peppers is a big linebacker who can run, and quite possibly the most athletic (if not one of the most athletic) LBs in the league. It seems like he'd be able to transition to the position of OLB in a 3-4 pretty easily.

As long as he doesn't take playing time away from TBC I am ok with Peppers coming on board.

It is a significant transition actually. Go ask Vernon Gholston how big it is. If it wasn't a big transition, the Patriots would have drafted or signed more DEs over the years to convert them into OLBs.

Also, Belichick requires versatility, football smarts, instincts, and dedication to the game in his players. Peppers may have that, but he may not.

Tully, Mincey, and Vrabel come to mind as guys who have/were supposed to converted from DE to LB.

None were considered to have the talent of Peppers.

Also Willie Mac and Bru come to mind....I think Colvin too...

I believe all these guys were DE's at one point in their lives only difference is they made the transition earlier in their lives....One would think being more experienced wouldn't hurt.

There is no guarentee he could transition but for a player of his talent it would be worth a shot so long as it isn't to expensive salary or trade demands.

Sounds like a lot of us are torn between it being a good idea or not wanting it to happen

I just heard on Sirius Satellite radio that Jordan Gross and the Panthers are close to an agreement on a long term deal. I would assume the Panthers would then be placing the franchise tag on Peppers.

Inside the Panthers: Panthers finalizing deal with Gross

This will be interesting, the franchise tag for Peppers would actually BE HIGHER than the one for Cassel.If they do get Gross signed before 4pm today, then they could turn around and tag Peppers. But they only have 9 million in cap space, so I don't think that they could do that without releasing so more players.

I would like to have Peppers on this team, but trading the equivalent of a first rounder and paying him top dollar in hopes he can make the transition to the OLB position in the 3-4 is a very risky proposition. Especially with Wilfork and Seymour a year away from hitting free agency.

Did you seriously just bring up Gholston in a thread about Peppers? :rolleyes:

This will be interesting, the franchise tag for Peppers would actually BE HIGHER than the one for Cassel.If they do get Gross signed before 4pm today, then they could turn around and tag Peppers. But they only have 9 million in cap space, so I don't think that they could do that without releasing so more players.

Gross signed a deal - Just announced on NFL radio.

Whether he's franchised or not, he's not going to NE. If he isn't franchised, he will end up in Dallas. If the Pats keep Cassel, the Pats won't be able to sign anybody decent this offseason unless there are massive paycuts or cuts. This offseason could be very similar to last offseason.

I'm not sure if they will also have enough to franchise him, we need Miguel!

I'm not sure if they will also have enough to franchise him, we need Miguel!

I don't know how the Panthers can franchise him either because an NFL.com article stated that if the Panthers franchise Peppers and sign him to a one year deal, it blows their whole cap. The same thing was said about the Raiders and Asoumuga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes