PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peppers trade rumor on the radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Peppers as a player, but he is far too expensive to be gambling that he would be a great OLB in the 3-4. Belichick knows better than I and if he is willing to take the gamble, I will reserve judgment. But on the face of it, it seems crazy to trade for Peppers and make him one of the highest paid players in football to play a position he has never played.

Very good point, but we really need to see how much he wants, and he could always move to DE and replace Seymour if he wants a lot of money next year.

well for all the people who were wanting the "pass rushing studd" here he is. i don't get how having him here would be a bad thing the only way is if he wants 14 mill or somehting rediculous

Question: Don't the Pats need to have space under the cap equivalent to the tag amount for Peppers to consider this move?
Of course, which is why the Cassel part of the rumor makes some sense. That part of the trade would open 14.7M in cap space.

well for all the people who were wanting the "pass rushing studd" here he is. i don't get how having him here would be a bad thing the only way is if he wants 14 mill or somehting rediculous

The Pats were rumored to be enamored of Jared Allen last year, which would have been a similar situation. Personally, I think both Allen and Peppers have the athleticism to move to 3-4 OLB, but obviously it is not a sure thing, and would be a rather expensive experiment. A lot will depend on how much Peppers is willing to give up to accomodate moving to the 3-4.

I'm just sitting back here enjoying and ice cold Bruschi whilst you all air out your Peppers ;)

Is it against the Law to jump into this name game Poole? I would be Starks raving mad not to give it a go.

I think the Moreland we take up on our defense the better. And my Katzenmoyer just had kittens (I am reaching).

This thread hurts more than a swift kick in the Testaverde's.

Is it against the Law to jump into this name game Poole? I would be Starks raving mad not to give it a go.

I think the Moreland we take up on our defense the better. And my Katzenmoyer just had kittens (I am reaching).

Troy as you might, you will not get me to Neal before you. Unlike Roberto Duran, I will not quit and say "No Moss". Sadly, though, with all this name playing, I don't think we're out of the Woods yet. If there's one good thing that's come out of this, though, it's that some people have proven that they have the Wright stuff for this sort of thing.

Troy as you might, you will not get me to Neal before you. Unlike Roberto Duran, I will not quit and say "No Moss". Sadly, though, with all this name playing, I don't think we're out of the Woods yet. If there's one good thing that's come out of this, though, it's that some people have proven that they have the Wright stuff for this sort of thing.

that couldnt have been said welker

All nonsense aside, getting Peppers would be one hell of a pick up for this team. Let's wax the hypothetical for a second, shall we? First, looking at the contributions he could make in the 34 if he was able to convert fairly quickly. Second, his anciliary value. Third, what it would mean to the rest of the front seven.

Should Peppers make the transition effectively, he represents the most athletic LOLB this team has had under Belichick. His pass rushing skills are no secret, and he will be able to apply tremendous pressure from the various LB positions in the 34, 33 and 23 sets. He is also adept at setting the edge and controlling the outside shoulder of the blocker from the three point. Personally, I feel that engaging blockers is easier from the two point, and should this correlation hold, we will have top-flight edge setter and play stringer. In coverage, first you have a guy who is 6'7. He has the height to disrupt passing lanes, go up and challenge for the ball and press the tight end. He also will have the athleticism to run with most TE's in the league. Something we haven't seen from the left side of the line in a long time.

Should the transition prove to be more difficult than ideal, he presents tremendous value in both the 5-technique out of the 34 and rushing out of the three-point all along the line. With the addition of Peppers, there would be four players on this team that can rush very well with their hands down. He would be a focus point for opposing offenses, alleviating pressure from our current rushers. He could drop into a simple zone from having his hand down, stunt, loop and present a myriad of other complexities for other teams to gameplan for.

Last, he would enable the other playmakers in the front seven to better utilize their abilities. Obviously, Thomas would benefit greatly from this. Teams would be forced to retain additional blockers, to play more honest in their jet cracks, chips and doubleteams. I have a theory about pass rushers and athletic linebackers. It is that the utility of the existing capable rusher increases exponentially with each subsequent addition. This is similar to the "crunch bunch" theory. Carson, Van Pelt, Kelly and Taylor all benefited from individual matchups. If Peppers were to be added to this team, I think Belichick would once again be schematically liberated and capable of unleashing some of his most complex, intricate and effective defenses.

Very good point, but we really need to see how much he wants, and he could always move to DE and replace Seymour if he wants a lot of money next year.

A 3-4 DE is the equivalent of a defensive tackle in a 4-3.

If he can be either a virtual Defensive tackle or a linebacker, he'll be the most versatile player this side of backup cornerback Vince Wilfork (in emergencies only, like Troy).:eek:

A 3-4 DE is the equivalent of a defensive tackle in a 4-3.

If he can be either a virtual Defensive tackle or a linebacker, he'll be the most versatile player this side of backup cornerback Vince Wilfork (in emergencies only, like Troy).:eek:

Peppers couldn't hold up against the run as an end in a 4-3. The idea of him trying to do it as an end in a 3-4 does not make me giddy in anticipation. I just might prefer seeing Wilfork at DB.

I'm not one to get overexcited about these kind of rumors. HOWEVER, I would say that there is a certain amount of logic to this one, if you make 2 very big assumptions: (1) Peppers really wants to play for a 3-4 team and is willing to negotiate a reasonable contract, and (2) Carolina has truly given up on Jake Delhomme after the debacle against Arizona. IF those 2 assumptions hold, then trading Cassel for Peppers works for both teams. The Pats free up $14.6M from their cap and can sign Peppers to a long-term deal with a lesser cap hit, addressing the pass rush which is one of their biggest needs. And Carolina saves face by getting rid of Peppers and his $17M cap hit which totally ties their hands, cutting Delhomme and freeing up his salary, and signing Cassel to a more cap-friendly long term deal. Cassel in Carolina, with Gross at OT and Steve Smith at WR, would be a nice place for him to end up.
The Pats would be fairly set at their front 7 for next year. They could either keep AD outside to pair with Peppers (which would be amazing) or move him inside to SILB and use Vrabel/Woods/Crable/etc. And Carolina could focus on keeping the rest of their team intact without the huge cap hit from Peppers, and on finding a decent DE in the draft or FA.

I doubt it will happen, but it's not entirely ludicrous.

It is ludicrous. What makes you think a 290 lb OLB is reasonable or viable, when he has never done it before?

Unless you are planning on sitting Warren...

All nonsense aside, getting Peppers would be one hell of a pick up for this team. Let's wax the hypothetical for a second, shall we? First, looking at the contributions he could make in the 34 if he was able to convert fairly quickly. Second, his anciliary value. Third, what it would mean to the rest of the front seven.

Should Peppers make the transition effectively, he represents the most athletic LOLB this team has had under Belichick. His pass rushing skills are no secret, and he will be able to apply tremendous pressure from the various LB positions in the 34, 33 and 23 sets. He is also adept at setting the edge and controlling the outside shoulder of the blocker from the three point. Personally, I feel that engaging blockers is easier from the two point, and should this correlation hold, we will have top-flight edge setter and play stringer. In coverage, first you have a guy who is 6'7. He has the height to disrupt passing lanes, go up and challenge for the ball and press the tight end. He also will have the athleticism to run with most TE's in the league. Something we haven't seen from the left side of the line in a long time.

Should the transition prove to be more difficult than ideal, he presents tremendous value in both the 5-technique out of the 34 and rushing out of the three-point all along the line. With the addition of Peppers, there would be four players on this team that can rush very well with their hands down. He would be a focus point for opposing offenses, alleviating pressure from our current rushers. He could drop into a simple zone from having his hand down, stunt, loop and present a myriad of other complexities for other teams to gameplan for.

Last, he would enable the other playmakers in the front seven to better utilize their abilities. Obviously, Thomas would benefit greatly from this. Teams would be forced to retain additional blockers, to play more honest in their jet cracks, chips and doubleteams. I have a theory about pass rushers and athletic linebackers. It is that the utility of the existing capable rusher increases exponentially with each subsequent addition. This is similar to the "crunch bunch" theory. Carson, Van Pelt, Kelly and Taylor all benefited from individual matchups. If Peppers were to be added to this team, I think Belichick would once again be schematically liberated and capable of unleashing some of his most complex, intricate and effective defenses.

:yeahthat:

I just wonder if he can play OLB in a 3-4. I'll leave that up to BB to figure out. It does make you drool a little to think about our defense with Peppers, and an improved secondary.

I didn't know that substantive posts were allowed on this thread, on asinine puns.

IF Peppers could somehow be signed to a workable contract, I think there is a reasonable chance that BB could find ways to use his immense physical talents to great effect, many of which you mention. Transitioning to a 3-4 OLB might take some time, even for someone of Peppers' ability, but I think one of BB's strengths is finding a way to put players in roles where they can contribute and succeed. Much as the offense managed to nurture Cassel along without overwhelming him, the defense used Mayo effectively without throwing too much at him at once. I think we will see Mayo used in a wider variety of roles this year now that he has had a year to absorb the playbook and mature.

I could see Peppers being used in a number of effective roles, especially in conjunction with Thomas. BB could use them both at DE and move Seymour inside along with Wilfork or Warren to run 4-3 sets. He could use Peppers big wingspan to advantage in clogging passing lanes; if Crable were to progress, using Thomas inside at SILB and having 6'7" and 6'5" OLB's would certainly make for a lot of tipped and batted down passes.

I still think this is a long shot, and depends mostly on how badly Peppers wants to play in the 3-4, but there's no doubt that it is in intriguing scenario. If anyone could make it work, it would be Belichick.

I'm pretty sure Carolina would want more than a straight up swap.. maybe Cassel and a 3rd

Anyway its likely Dallas throws the house to get him (as usual). Ware and Peppers in the same defense would be scary

It is ludicrous. What makes you think a 290 lb OLB is reasonable or viable, when he has never done it before?

Unless you are planning on sitting Warren...

Because the transition between 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB is not that monumental. Adalius is a 270+ lbs OLB.

Belichick has said his criteria for defenders is "Big guys that can run". Peppers fits the bill.

Who would show more speed and quickness in pass coverage (experience is another matter) -- Peppers or Vrabel in his prime? Peppers or Colvin in his prime?

Who would show more speed and quickness in pass coverage (experience is another matter) -- Peppers or Vrabel in his prime? Peppers or Colvin in his prime?

We recently have set a pretty low bar for mobility at linebacker. Still, has Peppers ever played LB?

Until there's evidence to the contrary he seems to have no position in a 3-4, while being a great 4-3 DE.

Wishing doesn't make it so. How much would we pay for a Jarvis Green replacement when we go 4-3? Green can also play 3-4 end too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back