PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peppers trade rumor on the radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
delicious sure... but it's always more delicious if you don't throw away that Roach you were keeping around...

hy-top-image.php

Mmmmmm... Kraft Light Mayo

I'm not one to get overexcited about these kind of rumors. HOWEVER, I would say that there is a certain amount of logic to this one, if you make 2 very big assumptions: (1) Peppers really wants to play for a 3-4 team and is willing to negotiate a reasonable contract, and (2) Carolina has truly given up on Jake Delhomme after the debacle against Arizona. IF those 2 assumptions hold, then trading Cassel for Peppers works for both teams. The Pats free up $14.6M from their cap and can sign Peppers to a long-term deal with a lesser cap hit, addressing the pass rush which is one of their biggest needs. And Carolina saves face by getting rid of Peppers and his $17M cap hit which totally ties their hands, cutting Delhomme and freeing up his salary, and signing Cassel to a more cap-friendly long term deal. Cassel in Carolina, with Gross at OT and Steve Smith at WR, would be a nice place for him to end up.
The Pats would be fairly set at their front 7 for next year. They could either keep AD outside to pair with Peppers (which would be amazing) or move him inside to SILB and use Vrabel/Woods/Crable/etc. And Carolina could focus on keeping the rest of their team intact without the huge cap hit from Peppers, and on finding a decent DE in the draft or FA.

I doubt it will happen, but it's not entirely ludicrous.

Re: Cassel Trade Information on Radio Down Here

Thanks for the Carolina info, but I thought the Panthers were going to franchise Gross....?

I heard they are close to a deal with Gross and will tag Peppers. I guess Peppers made their decision easy when he said he wanted to test the market and would demand a trade if tagged.

Agreed that I try to not get too excited about these rumors but....

Instead of Trading Cassel to the panthers, we could also trade the 1st round pick we'll hopefully be receiving once we trade him , in case Carolina would rather have that pick.

This would be a great move, you spend all your money on extending Wilfork, adding Peppers at OLB, and then you draft for the secondary.

Of course that probably means Big Sey will probably be on the cutting block in the next 2 seasons, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Question: Don't the Pats need to have space under the cap equivalent to the tag amount for Peppers to consider this move?

Possibly, but even if they don't Peppers said New England has expressed a good amount of interest in him, and he says he would love to play here.

Did he say what position he'd play?

Did he say what position he'd play?

He wants to play OLB in a 3-4 he only wants to go to teams that play 3-4 part of the reason why he wants out of Carolina. As for cap room depends all on the Cassel situation right now we got like 4M at best I think.

His buddy mentioned he would restructure his contract if he came here!

Question: Don't the Pats need to have space under the cap equivalent to the tag amount for Peppers to consider this move?

in the scenario Cassel was going to Carolina so that money comes off.

He wants to play OLB in a 3-4 he only wants to go to teams that play 3-4 part of the reason why he wants out of Carolina. As for cap room depends all on the Cassel situation right now we got like 4M at best I think.

I'm not worried about cap room. He's 6-7 283 from what I read. No mention that he's ever played linebacker.

Where's there an indication he could?

I'll really need to Seymour of this picnic before passing judgement.

I'm not sure this post would really Warren a response. ;)

Lets get some corn on the hobb :D

"-- Julius Peppers still wants out of Carolina, but he'll only agree to be traded to four teams, further complicating the Panthers' efforts to get compensation for the four-time Pro Bowl defensive end."

Yea ok, good luck, BB would never sign a player who even thinks this way, it aint happening, besides, he will be 30 in 11 months, dont waste our Cassel on this!

Last edited:
The Moss grows in the Lite

chill out guyton, grab a bruschi

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey