PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peppers to skip mandatory minicamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peppers is probably my favorite player who does not play for the Pats. Before he got drafted, I used to basically always hope the Pats would draft a WR or a RB (basically sexy picks...I was much younger and naive back then). After I saw him come out of college, and watched him play, I always hoped the Pats would pick up some type of athletic freak to put on the defensive side of the ball.

With that being said, I can't take all this speculation anymore. The only way he becomes a Pat is if the Panthers lift the tag, or he signs and is traded here. Until/unless that happens, no more Peppers talk :)

I'm a little confused here. What is his official stance? If he wants them to trade him then why hasn't he signed the tender? If he wants a new contract, has he said so?

He signs his tender and the Panthers can ship him anywhere they want without his permission or even knowledge until the trade is complete. By not signing his tender, he is free to negotiate with any team he wants and get the deal he wants and then facilitate the trade between the two teams.

Also, if he signs the tender, he must participate in every organized team activity (including minicamps, OTAs, training camp) or face a fine. If Peppers wants to be traded the last thing he wants to do is go to a minicamp and get an injury. Even if Peppers gets traded somewhere, there is no guarantee that he will be traded before training camp. It could end up being a last minute thing due to injury like Jason Taylor was last year (granted that leaves the Pats out of the mix because they aren't going to wait that long to trade for a player changing position and needing to learn the defense).

Signing the tender would be the worst thing he could do. The only franchised player I have ever heard of signing the franchise tag before he was traded was Cassel. Word is he is regretting it now because, other than a bogus report that he has a long term deal, it looks like Pioli is content to let Cassel play this year under his franchise tender and roll the dice on whether he is a boom or a bust.

I don't get why people are so hung up on him signing the franchise tender. Not signing a franchise tender before a deal was made has never blocked a franchised player from getting traded.

That said, this news is non-news. Most franchised players do not sign their franchise tender until they are either traded, given a long term deal, or around the second week of the preseason. A franchised player who hasn't signed their franchise tender cannot work out with the team because officially they are not on the team. The team holds their rights, but they are still free agents.

Not quite sure how him refusing to attend a mandatory minicamp doesn't increase the chance of him being some place else next fall.

Because this story misses the point that since he has not signed his tender offer, he cannot attend mandatory minicamp.

Peppers would probably rather sit out until week 10 and then get payed 6-7 Mil to play in the last few games, giving him credit for the year (true that he turns down the 9M extra he would have gotten if he played the whole year).

But this way, it hurts the Panthers more... giving them incentive to let him go rather than franchise him AGAIN for even more money than this year only to have him do this to them again.

CAR is in a no win situation. They are getting hurt more than he is IMO. I think they will eventually trade him this year or next. They will NOT tag him again next year if he is not traded before then.

I don't think they will lift the cap this year though. They either trade him or make him force the issue. They have already taken the lumps of being able to do nothing in FA because of him... why give up now after you have already taken the brunt of the negative effects?

Last edited:
Remember when Walter Jones kept getting franchised for 3 straight years, he not only skipped mini-camp, but he also skipped all of training camp and showed up 1 week before the season started every single year.

Peppers is not under contract. Why would he show up and risk getting injured? This is a complete non-story. It's like starting a thread because the Boston-NY shuttle is running on time.

How is it Mandatory for Peppers?

He is technically a free agent, right?

Since Peppers hasn't signed the tender, why would he go to minicamp for a team he is not signed with.

Exactly; the thread title is misleading. Why would a player not signed with a team be expected to attend any team functions?

Remember when Walter Jones kept getting franchised for 3 straight years, he not only skipped mini-camp, but he also skipped all of training camp and showed up 1 week before the season started every single year.

Peppers is not under contract. Why would he show up and risk getting injured? This is a complete non-story. It's like starting a thread because the Boston-NY shuttle is running on time.

Stop making sense! Your exactly right, no unsigned player would risk injury.

Luckily for the Panthers, they do not have that many draft picks to get under contract, but I think that Peppers has not signed his tender, because a) he believes that eventually the Panthers will give in (to the salary cap woes) and recind the franchise tag. or b) he can negotiate the trade that he wants.

He has made plenty-o-cash in his career, and can play this game of tag with the Panthers. If the Panthers do not blink, I expect Peppers to show up sometime after week 2, I don't care how much money you have made, a million bucks a game, is hard to pass up.

And that positive dialog Carolina's GM is once again having with his agent probably revolves around preliminary discussions about getting him into camp come July while he saves face on his wanting to leave/not about the $$$ drama by agreeing to a one year deal at the franchise tender that stipulates he will not be tagged again in 2010. That's what happens with franchised players. They either sign the tag early to lock in the $$$ or facilitate a pre draft trade, or they hold out through some portion of what would otherwise be mandatory OTA's to underscore their displeasure with the status quo (or dislike of OTA's...) and sign in time for camp, or they holdout into camp in a last ditch effort to force a long term deal, a trade or at least the concession of no tag the following season if they do report.

We didn't trade Asante when he held out into TC for the same reason Carolina won't trade Peppers for holding out into TC. Need at the position and inability to replace the player prior to the impending season. Cap space becomes a moot point at that juncture, and even moreso this season since it can't be rolled forward into an uncapped year...

Teams seldom lift the tag unless they were using it as a place holder pre draft and they replace the player via draft, or they were using it merely to trade the player for some value and find he has no trade market when they really don't want/need him back.

Screw Peppers.

There are people across this country hurting bad with the economy. This JAG has a 16 million dollar salary waiting for him, but wants to be a LB in a 3/4 so he ain't getting in there with his team and helping them with their success.

Selfish primadonna that has yet to show loyalty or a team first attitude.

Want him nowhere near the Pats.

Last edited:
More reasons why i would not want him CLOSE to foxboro...It's all about the money.. He wants MORe than Haynesworth?? he can take his bag of money and *********

Its all bout money, really????

Why then wouldn't he take that one year offer and leave himself with a potential huge deal again next year?

I think you have it all wrong.

Its all bout money, really????

Why then wouldn't he take that one year offer and leave himself with a potential huge deal again next year?

I think you have it all wrong.
yes..really....Please tell me when Peppers has had a deal and left ANY money on the table?? he's been pretty up front about HIS money demands...

Anyone who thinks that Peppers would sign a "reasonable" contract

with the Patriots is nuts.

He is going to get them to lift the tag. It is a game of chicken. I think he would be willing to sit out the year, not get paid and force the Panthers to swallow 17 million. If the panthers percieve he is serious enough to do that they may feel it would be best to lift the lag and let him go. If he signs the tender he gets paid but has no say in who he gets dealt to.

If he is crazy enough to sit out the year, they won't have to eat the $17 million. IIRC, you have to report by week 10 to get credit for the year ( and a prorated portion of the 17 million). If he does that, the Panthers could use the unused part of the 17 mill or the entire amount if he sits out, to extend other players before the deadline for that to count in 2009. I'm not sure how the uncapped year plays into contract extensions but I beleive there are protections in the CBA for teams in this situation.

"If he is crazy enough to sit out the year, they won't have to eat the $17 million. IIRC, you have to report by week 10 to get credit for the year ( and a prorated portion of the 17 million). If he does that, the Panthers could use the unused part of the 17 mill or the entire amount if he sits out, to extend other players before the deadline for that to count in 2009. I'm not sure how the uncapped year plays into contract extensions but I beleive there are protections in the CBA for teams in this situation."

Thanks.

Jodee

he's not sitting out, and the pats have kept a million in reserve to sign him.

how is it mandatory if he isn't under contract?

...and the eternal struggle between the haters and the apologists continues unabated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes