PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peppers expected to sign with Bears/Dansby expected to the Dolphins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Peppers expected to sign with Bears/Dansby to the Dolphins

And Seward to NE

Read between the lines: Peppers has already been negotiating with teams. The Patriots obviously don't think he's worth the price the Bears are willing to pay. It's not like Peppers loves the Bears and refuses to listen to other offers. 31 other teams know that they could match or up the ante right now, and they are all saying no. I think this is a terrible move for the Bears, assuming the contract in the ballpark I suspect, but then again I said the Jay Cutler trade was horrible as well, and we saw how well their ultra-aggressive superstar plunge paid off with Cutler's awesome season.

Sometimes I think people forget that the Patriots do not give out enormous contracts to free agents. Adalius Thomas is one example of how that can backfire... and even that deal was considered a "favorable discount" considering the market at the time. Roosevelt Colvin broke the bank with the Pats, and while he was a key contributor, there's no way he was worth the money (injuries did not help.) It's hard to argue that Richard Seymour was worth his fat contract he signed in 06 either. For some reason because we got Randy Moss and Wes Welker, the knee jerk reaction is that we need to pay for superstars... we forget that we didn't pay a superstar price for either of them. Bottom line is, the price needs to be right.

Look at the best teams in the league. The Patriots, Colts, and Steelers. They remain competitive because they draft well. We've struggled in the draft for awhile, and it's showing. But while other teams like the Bears and Redskins try to overcompensate for poor drafting by making "big signings," I think the results speak for themselves. The front office could get lazy and throw a ton of money for a single player and make the fans happy, or they could get their hands dirty and start making some good draft picks. I was hoping we would land Peppers, but as always, it has to make sense in the big picture.

Last edited:

Looks like Peppers said NO to Snyder? Maybe he does care about competing. Though I'm sure the Bears are ponying up major money. Probably close to 100M.

Dansby to Miami means McClain drops. He didn't run at the combine so he needs to BRING IT at his pro day or he could drop all the way to the bottom of the first round or even early second.

For some reason because we got Randy Moss and Wes Welker, the knee jerk reaction is that we need to pay for superstars... we forget that we didn't pay a superstar price for either of them. Bottom line is, the price needs to be right.

We got Welker signed to a big deal because he hadn't officially 'blown up' yet.
And don't buy the 'cheap' hype. The Pats definitely PAID Randy Moss. Dude got 9M per year, 27M total and 18M of it in guarantees.
Now they might not extend him but he was paid VERY WELL.

Last edited:

You know what? If Peppers is getting a rumored $100 million contract and Dansby is getting over $30 million in guarantees (which is what he is looking for), then the Bears and Dolphins can have them. I would like both, but neither are worthy of that type of money. Peppers is 30 and is never going to perform to a level long enough to justify a contract like that and Dansby is an ILB. I thought if Peppers was to get $10 million (maybe $11-12 million) a year, he would be worth it. Not $15-17 million which looks to be what he is going to get.

If we find out tomorrow, Peppers signed for $10 million a year and $25 million in guarantees or Dansby only gets $20 million in guarantees, then we have the right to be upset. If both get insane money, the Pats were right not get involved. Nine times out of ten when you pay insane money to a free agent, you don't get your money's worth.

Both guys were top free agents and deserved to be paid, but it looks like there were more teams figuring they could spend like crazy without a cap. When the Redskins drop out of a bidding war like they did with Peppers, you know the money is ridiculous.

Old news :)

Looks like Peppers said NO to Snyder? Maybe he does care about competing. Though I'm sure the Bears are ponying up major money. Probably close to 100M.

Dansby to Miami means McClain drops. He didn't run at the combine so he needs to BRING IT at his pro day or he could drop all the way to the bottom of the first round or even early second.

We got Welker signed to a big deal because he hadn't officially 'blown up' yet.
And don't buy the 'cheap' hype. The Pats definitely PAID Randy Moss. Dude got 9M per year, 27M total and 18M of it in guarantees.
Now they might not extend him but he was paid VERY WELL.

You're talking about a guy who had just recorded 23 TD receptions and made his team a 589-point wrecking ball, in addition to catching what should have been the game-winning TD in the Super Bowl. You don't think Moss could have gotten $15M per year if he'd tried?

Yes, we got Welker cheap. We saw the market, evaluated that the player would be much more productive than his salary, and capitalized on it.

Neither player was acquired because we outbid everyone else.

You're talking about a guy who had just recorded 23 TD receptions and made his team a 589-point wrecking ball, in addition to catching what should have been the game-winning TD in the Super Bowl. You don't think Moss could have gotten $15M per year if he'd tried?

Yes, we got Welker cheap. We saw the market, evaluated that the player would be much more productive than his salary, and capitalized on it.

Neither player was acquired because we outbid everyone else.

i don't know about 15 but the eagels offerd him 11 million a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes