PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pepper Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboturner913

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Some Saints fans are talking about him as a potential replacement for Rob Ryan (obviously in the offseason) if Dennis Allen doesn't get our defense straightened out. He was in the Patriots organization for quite a long time IIRC so I was wondering what you all thought of him as a possible DC.

Pepper Johnson deserves a shot as a DC, but it's hard to project how someone will do with their first big time gig.

He coached the LBs and DL well, has a good rapport with his players, and obviously knows a lot about the game. I think the fact that he wasn't promoted to DC here likely helped him realize that he would need to go somewhere else in order to get his shot--which is completely understandable.

Pepper, as a player, is one of those guys that Bill will talk glowingly about for hours on end in a press conference if somebody wants a history lesson about the best linebackers he's coached. Hopefully Pepper gets his shot at DC as he's definitely got the cred.

Some Saints fans are talking about him as a potential replacement for Rob Ryan (obviously in the offseason) if Dennis Allen doesn't get our defense straightened out. He was in the Patriots organization for quite a long time IIRC so I was wondering what you all thought of him as a possible DC.

Good to have you on board. Pepper Johnson goes back with Bill Belichick to the 90s and would be great. He was a mentor to a number of the Patriots' younger guys who needed not only x's and o's but also someone to help them make the transition from college to the pros.

He was mentored by Belichick and Romeo Crennel as a defensive coach, two of the best. He'd be a great influence in the Big Easy.

For a while there was an internal competition in the Pats Organization between Pepper and Patricia, for some reason Patricia won out..

Not being aware of all of the issues, one might think if he was capable that BB would have kept him based on loyalty.. but being capable might be the operative word.

I really like Pepper, but is he DC material??

For a while there was an internal competition in the Pats Organization between Pepper and Patricia, for some reason Patricia won out..

Not being aware of all of the issues, one might think if he was capable that BB would have kept him based on loyalty.. but being capable might be the operative word.

I think that might be unfairly casting aspersions at Pepper. If he was a realistic contender for the DC job when Matt P got it I'd think that says he's good enough to do the job. More likely he moved on to avoid the potential awkwardness of having to work for the guy who got promoted instead of him, because only one guy could get the job even if both candidates were solid.

Also, unless you have direct knowledge of the situation I think you are making a big projection to assume BB could've kept him based on loyalty. What if Pepper decided that his career prospects were better served by moving on to get experience and opportunity elsewhere after not getting the promotion and seeing that rung on the job ladder filled for the indefinite future? How do you know BB could've kept him, if Pepper was determined to move on wouldn't loyalty mean helping him go?

He's not a rocket scientist but he is pretty damn good. ;)

I'm cheering for Pepper Johnson to get that job. He has definitely put the work in.

I think that might be unfairly casting aspersions at Pepper. If he was a realistic contender for the DC job when Matt P got it I'd think that says he's good enough to do the job. More likely he moved on to avoid the potential awkwardness of having to work for the guy who got promoted instead of him, because only one guy could get the job even if both candidates were solid.

Also, unless you have direct knowledge of the situation I think you are making a big projection to assume BB could've kept him based on loyalty. What if Pepper decided that his career prospects were better served by moving on to get experience and opportunity elsewhere after not getting the promotion and seeing that rung on the job ladder filled for the indefinite future? How do you know BB could've kept him, if Pepper was determined to move on wouldn't loyalty mean helping him go?

As I said.. my feelings have to do with the meritocracy that BB so often employs... I do not know, but Pepper was here since the onset(2000 to 2012), and once Patricia got the job the possibility for advancement diminished.

one might think if he was capable that BB would have kept him based on loyalty.. but being capable might be the operative word.

He's not a rocket scientist but he is pretty damn good. ;)

I'm cheering for Pepper Johnson to get that job. He has definitely put the work in.

In case the OP wasn't aware, that's a joke not an insult, because Matt Patricia IS a rocket scientist, literally

Who knows what happened. What we do know is that BB really liked Patricia enough to groom him as the DC after Pees left. He was calling defenses in 2010 and 2011 while he was coaching LBs and safeties.

I think BB is very loyal to his coaches. There was no indication that BB forced Pepper out. According to Pepper, he wanted to get out from under BBs shadow.

I think his departure in 2014 had more to do with hitting a glass ceiling here.

Don't know but clearly BB felt Matt was a better candidate for the job than Pepper.

Count me among those who are hoping the Pepper gets his shot and does well. He deserves his chance. However, I perfectly understand why he left us. He needs to be out from under BB's shadow. To some respect so does Patricia.

Don't know but clearly BB felt Matt was a better candidate for the job than Pepper.

Hard to argue with his results. Who knows if Pepper would have done as well? He could not have done much better.

Count me among those who are hoping the Pepper gets his shot and does well. He deserves his chance. However, I perfectly understand why he left us. He needs to be out from under BB's shadow. To some respect so does Patricia.

I try to be careful about such judgments. Depends on what motivates the particular individuals involved, and what they want. Did Scar need to be "out from under BB's shadow"? Did he want to be? Or was he quite happy doing something he loved, in an environment that seems to be about as good as it gets?

If they feel overshadowed and need room to grow, more power to them. If not there's no need to push them out of the nest until they want to leave. Seems like Pepper wanted to leave, good for him, wish him the best. But still want to keep the best staff we can.

There are many favorable impressions of him as a position coach, of running drills for guys who didn't play the positions he was coaching, of players respecting him, etc.

I don't recall any stories of him making any Xs and Os contributions.

NO has never needed an elite defense. A consistent 15th ranked from 2006-2015 might have gotten another SB shot with the offense. Our defense has been ranked 31-32 since 2006-2015, worst in the NFL, and the craziness continues. Literally the offense has to put up 30-35 pts a game to win. The NFL average is 24pts. From what I am hearing Pepper is good enouph to field a stable 15th ranked defence with sold fundamentals. Thats all we need.

Why did Pepper Johnson leave New England?

I try to be careful about such judgments. Depends on what motivates the particular individuals involved, and what they want. Did Scar need to be "out from under BB's shadow"? Did he want to be? Or was he quite happy doing something he loved, in an environment that seems to be about as good as it gets?

If they feel overshadowed and need room to grow, more power to them. If not there's no need to push them out of the nest until they want to leave. Seems like Pepper wanted to leave, good for him, wish him the best. But still want to keep the best staff we can.

There were reports that made it clear the glass ceiling was Pepper's primary reason for leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back