PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

People don't really have any idea how GOOD the Defense is going to be...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
If they can stay relatively healthy, this team's D is going to be very, very tough. It will be hard to run on that front 3, and if Seau can simply hold the fort while we wait for Tedy to come back, and if Tully Banta-Cain can show a little something, it will be dominant.

Now you may say, Well that's a lot of IFs, but I would reply...No. Not really. and it's a helluva lot fewer IFs than any other team hoping to qualify as "dominant."

You overstated the IFs in my mind :)

However they rotate the LB, we just need some combo of TBC and Seau to replace McGinest and we're set at LB. Bruschi will likely be back Week 1 but certainly when we need him Week 3 so I discount his injury.

That's about it. Other than further injuries, the DL is deeper and more experienced, #37 is back, the CB are deeper and more experienced.

The defense will not only be fine but will get back to making more big plays and turnovers.

patsox23 said:
If they can stay relatively healthy, this team's D is going to be very, very tough. It will be hard to run on that front 3, and if Seau can simply hold the fort while we wait for Tedy to come back, and if Tully Banta-Cain can show a little something, it will be dominant.

Now you may say, Well that's a lot of IFs, but I would reply...No. Not really. and it's a helluva lot fewer IFs than any other team hoping to qualify as "dominant."

thank you for this thread

I'm not sure if they'll be dominant, but if they're as adept at stopping the run as I think they'll be (based on preseason observations, acquisitions and scheme changes), this defense has a chance to be excellent. If they can reliably stop the run with only 7 in the box, the secondary will look real, real good, and interceptions should go way up. Hopefully this will be the case, because last year was ugly in terms of the defense producing turnovers.

Do people think there are enough LB's on the roster?

I think the defense will be good but the Giants backup RB running right up the middle through our starters in the last preseason game didnt look good.

zippo59 said:
Do people think there are enough LB's on the roster?

I'd still like to see them pursue Clark for depth, but as it stands, the depth is okay if Bruschi is healthy. He, Vrabel and Seau can rotate inside, and TBC and Colvin can hopefully hold down the fort outside when Vrabel has been shifted. If someone like Woods can give the team a few snaps, that should be fine. The best defenses we've seen in recent memory largely rotated 5 linebackers (Bruschi, Johnson, Phifer, McGinest and Vrabel), so there's no reason, barring injuries, that the current rotation can't at least be productive and solid.

Kdo5 said:
I think the defense will be good but the Giants backup RB running right up the middle through our starters in the last preseason game didnt look good.

That was an ugly play but my understanding is that the regular 1's weren't on the field then.

Richter said:
I'd still like to see them pursue Clark for depth, but as it stands, the depth is okay if Bruschi is healthy.

Totally agree. I think the LB depth is a bit thin, and would like to add Clark. However, if BB felt that was the case, and if he liked Clark at all, I think he'd have been signed by now.

patsox23 said:
That was an ugly play but my understanding is that the regular 1's weren't on the field then.

Plus I think the Giants wanted that game a lot more than the Pats did.

Kdo5 said:

The first string LB's were in with the 2nd string DL. It looked to me like Seau shot the wrong gap trying to get to the RB in the backfield. Which is why he needs all the reps in this system he can get.

R

patsox23 said:
Wilson missed the tackle. Seau got pushed out his gap. Vrabel wasn't near the play. I know Warren wasn't in. Not sure about Wilfork and Seymour. Aside form that play, Jacobs was getting alot more yards than that one play. The first game will be the true indicator.

MrBigglesWorth said:
Wilson missed the tackle. Seau got pushed out his gap. Vrabel wasn't near the play. I know Warren wasn't in. Not sure about Wilfork and Seymour. Aside form that play, Jacobs was getting alot more yards than that one play. The first game will be the true indicator.

Wilfork was not in when that play happened.

Also don't discount that the Giants RB is a physical freak. He is big and powerful but still possesses great speed. It took three or four guys to bring him down. He could be a sleeper this year if he gets enough carries behind Barber.

Kdo5 said:

We won't even know how good our run defense is 3 weeks into the games that matter. You're basing an opinion on the week 4 preseason game. That has little if any factor in what this run defense will look like. You will start to get a better idea more like a 1/3 way into the season. Some bad plays in the last preseason game is absolutely no matter for concern whatsoever. If it was October and that is happening, feel free to panic. I'll be there with ya!

There is zero reason to think the Patriots run defense won't be very good this year. They were very, very good at the end of last year (dismantled the famed Denver running game), and they have basically the same core back this year. But, and this is a huge but, they also probably added Rodney Harrison, possibly the best run-stopping safety in the game. They lost Willie McG, and he was great at setting the edge, but he was a role player in the defense, not a core guy. And he can be replaced by TBC and Seau, I think.

Plus, the Patriots have a running game this year, possibly an excellent one. We shouldn't overlook the boost that gives to a defense.

I think the Pats D is going to be among the best in football, with a decent shot at being THE best.

Look, the only thing I saw this preseason is Wilfork has mastered the two gap. Obviously none of you guys were looking. Big Sey hasn't been in there....he will when we open up...Warren is solid..Bru comes abck and calls the signals and guess what we have..Junior Seau instead of Monty Beisel.

Seau can get blown up now and then...why?? because if Vrabel and SUPERSTAR Colvin are outside..well think about, Wilfork has shown this preseason that he has now masterd the two gap....bad news fellas...Richard Seymour is the best DL man in the league...one on one and we are going to severely cut into any QB's set -up and read..damn right we have a good defense..An dplease don't worry about the most knowledgeable, all pro safety in this league....God willing Harrison stays healthy...him and Bruschi are the two best recogniton players in the league

One note of caution, BB's defenses usually get better and better through the year, which means that they often don't start out exactly dominant. It could be November before we see this defense's true colors... patience, patience.

patsox23 said:

I don't understand the point of this thread. How does this pertain to Deion Branch? ; )

Just a view from an outsider Bills Fan -

I expect the Pats to pretty much shut down the Bills offense. I am hoping our special teams gets a score and Losman scrambling keeps a drive or two allive. I just hope the bills to still be in it in the fourth quarter - but that is a long shot.

TheBostonStraggler said:
We won't even know how good our run defense is 3 weeks into the games that matter. You're basing an opinion on the week 4 preseason game. That has little if any factor in what this run defense will look like. You will start to get a better idea more like a 1/3 way into the season. Some bad plays in the last preseason game is absolutely no matter for concern whatsoever. If it was October and that is happening, feel free to panic. I'll be there with ya!
I never even panicked I just said I thought it was a little sloppy against the Giants. There were regular starters out there so its not like it was all reserves . Again I am not panicking. The team looked great this preseason, that was the only game that sort of stunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back