PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

People claiming Seymour isn't even one of the 5 best DL in football!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since DL's include both tackles and ends, I don't think it's crazy to say Seymour isn't a top 5 DL but rather top 10. I think Warren actually outplayed him last year.

Seymour wasn't close to being a top 5 DL last season. Ahead of him

T Warren
J Taylor
Trevor Pryce
Terrell Suggs
J Henderson
J. Williams
Jared Allen
Pat Williams
K Williams
A. Kampman
J. Peppers
W. Smith
L. Little

and possibly more.

Based on what??

Seymour is a beast, but I think as long he plays for Bill Belichick he will always be underrated. Which plays out well for us. Let them keep thinking it's mostly scheme not talent.

Hey, Seymour was ranked 2nd amongst D-linemen for interceptions, and 3rd for passes defensed! :D

Based on what??

Based on my opinion. Seymour did not play up to his standards last season. Blame it on injury, although his durability has become a chronic issue. Part of being a fan is pointing out when your star players don't live up to the hype. In 2006, Seymour did not. Going forward I expect more from Seymour. One could argue that he was the least dominant member of our 3-man line last season. I also didn't appreciate that while being paid 24 million dollars in one calendar year, he took shots at the organization over the Deion Branch issue. Not the kind of leadership I was hoping for. But, the great thing about sports is there's always next year, and in 2007 Seymour has an opportunity to perform with the same ferocity he did in 2003, when he established his reputation.

This is what makes Ty Warren's 2006 totals that much more impressive. 84 tackles and 7.5 sacks are what 3-4 OLBs should be getting.

Teams also began to double team Warren instead of Seymour about halfway through last year, too, when it became clear to the opposing coaches that Warren was at least as dominant as Seymour, and on a more consistent basis too.

Based on my opinion. Seymour did not play up to his standards last season. Blame it on injury, although his durability has become a chronic issue. Part of being a fan is pointing out when your star players don't live up to the hype. In 2006, Seymour did not. Going forward I expect more from Seymour. One could argue that he was the least dominant member of our 3-man line last season. I also didn't appreciate that while being paid 24 million dollars in one calendar year, he took shots at the organization over the Deion Branch issue. Not the kind of leadership I was hoping for. But, the great thing about sports is there's always next year, and in 2007 Seymour has an opportunity to perform with the same ferocity he did in 2003, when he established his reputation.

oh. im sure u watched all those guys play week in and week out.

he didnt play to his standards? he had a hell of a year with injuries.

what do u need him to do? get huge stats? thats never gonna happen. he gets doubled and tripled while injured and still does a hell of a job. theres a reason our run D was top of the league and part of the reason Ty Warren did so well is because teams went away from Seymour and Warren took the advantage of it .

Seymour was not top 5 last season, not even close.

QB12

oh. im sure u watched all those guys play week in and week out.

he didnt play to his standards? he had a hell of a year with injuries.

what do u need him to do? get huge stats? thats never gonna happen. he gets doubled and tripled while injured and still does a hell of a job. theres a reason our run D was top of the league and part of the reason Ty Warren did so well is because teams went away from Seymour and Warren took the advantage of it .

I judge a player by on-field performance. Seymour's on-field performance was inconsistent in 2007. Seymour was not doubled as much as you imagine. Marcus McNeil dominated him one on one. Warren was doubled at least as much as Seymour and the reason teams ran in his direction is he mans the strong side of the formation, the natural running side. Furthermore, Warren was rushing the passer from the strong side as a DTackle (I consider a 3-4 DE most comparable in responisibility to a 4-3 DT), frequently splitting double teams, and still had 8 sacks. That is awesome for a natural run stuffer. As for Seymour...If the reason for his inconsistent performance was injury... in the NFL durability is as important a talent as speed and strength.

I judge a player by on-field performance. Seymour's on-field performance was inconsistent in 2007. Seymour was not doubled as much as you imagine. Marcus McNeil dominated him one on one. Warren was doubled at least as much as Seymour and the reason teams ran in his direction is he mans the strong side of the formation, the natural running side. Furthermore, Warren was rushing the passer from the strong side as a DTackle (I consider a 3-4 DE most comparable in responisibility to a 4-3 DT), frequently splitting double teams, and still had 8 sacks. That is awesome for a natural run stuffer. As for Seymour...If the reason for his inconsistent performance was injury... in the NFL durability is as important a talent as speed and strength.

the reason they ran that direction was banta cain. they thought: hey..TBC cant hide behind Seymour forever..lets go attack that area. and if u noticed..we would of been fine has TBC been able to set the edge.

Part of being a fan is pointing out when your star players don't live up to the hype.

Thanks for the input on the criteria...not sure what I'll do now with all the free time.

You're welcome. How about joining a circus?:)

Are you insinuating I'm a clown....well, thank you.

As far as Seymour goes I don't think his play met my expectations. To rank him would do a disservice to my own (or lack thereof) football acumen.

Are you insinuating I'm a clown....well, thank you.

As far as Seymour goes I don't think his play met my expectations. To rank him would do a disservice to my own (or lack thereof) football acumen.

Actually I wasn't insinuating that at all. Didn't even realize you would take it that way. Oh well, sorry.

I know to some of you this is gonna be a waste of a post, although not to me.
Currently on espn headlines under the Freeney signing alot of posters are saying that Seymour isn't even in the same class as Dwight Freeney.
I know people are entitled to their opinions but that is just a ridiculous statement and I believe we will See Seymour grow even more dominant this season with Adalius Thomas wreaking havoc on on both sides of the line of scrimmage!
To me Seymour is at least the top 3 I'd say Convincingly only Taylor is more dominate as of right now.

Freeney and Seymour are both, agruably, the best at what they do. In Freeney's case, you could argue that Taylor and Peppers are better. In Seymour's case, you could argue that Jamal Williams is better. Other than that, they are equally good because they are equally valuable to their defensive system.

Freeney and Seymour are both, agruably, the best at what they do. In Freeney's case, you could argue that Taylor and Peppers are better. In Seymour's case, you could argue that Jamal Williams is better. Other than that, they are equally good because they are equally valuable to their defensive system.

Jamal Williams isn't a good comparison to Seymour. Wilfork and Williams are the guys that should be compared.

I agree that Seymour wasn't in the top 5 last year, but I heard somewhere that Seymour had worse injuries that most seem to realize. If I recall correctly, his elbow never quite healed from 2006 and he had a pretty bad knee injury as well. I hope that we see the the Seymour of 2003 and 2004 because that guy was clearly amongst the best in the league and on the fast track to the HOF.

Freeney is one of the best , if not the best, pass rushers in the game, but I still do not believe that he was worth anywhere near what Indy paid him. There are plenty of guys in this league that would be just a ferocious a pass rusher if they were told to ignore the run until it is obviously not a pass. In that system, TBC would look like a worldbeater too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing