PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

People are saying other teams would pick up Peyton?

There are plenty of other teams around the NFL that would improve upon their QB situation by taking Peyton Manning.

I would have to assume that Peyton Manning would be better than 1) EJ Manuel, 2) Geno Smith, 3) Johnny Manziel, 4) Zack Mettenburger, 5) Ryan Fitzpatrick, 6) Blake Bortles, and 7) Derek Carr.

That's just counting the AFC teams, which is almost 50 percent (7/16) squads.
You named 6 guys who are young and developing and one stiff.
You aren't going to win anything with Manning, you may be competitive, but then he is done and you have to start all over again. Of course he won't come unless you let him run the offense, so you have to change the scheme the next year all over again, and probably get a new OC.
Not much gained here.

Im not sure why there are so many threads on peyton, a guy whose season is done.

I didn't watch the games except for @NE and the Divisional, but PM's stats for 2014 are 39 TDs, 4,700 passing yards, a 101 QB rating, 12 wins and a first round bye. Not bad for the most washed up QB in the league.
Teams would have lined up to take him in October. His play at the end of the season was horrible. If he played the whole season like he played the last 4-6 games, Denver would have been 5-11.

Not sure why he stinks it up in the playoffs. He might need a psychologist more than anything.

His playoff record might've looked better had Tom Brady chosen another profession other than NFL football.
Against everyone not named Tom Brady, his playoff record is 9-11. He is actually better vs Brady at 2-2 than vs everyone else.

I'd give him an extension, but only because I'm a patriots fan.

You could do worse as a back-up, if you can sign him to something very cheap. As far as starter money, I would bet the Jets are ready to move on. Thing is, they don't have a lot of options.

I've posted before about Geno. I watched all of his games with WVU, many in person. He is a high end talent, but he gets frustrated, scared and pouty faster than any QB I've ever seen. He couldn't contain himself during the draft, ffs. Looked like he was going to cry because he wasn't an early pick.

I could definitely see PM getting picked up by another team. Even in his decline, he is still better than half the qb's in the league.

That said, I don't see him going to a different team unless: they made the playoffs this year, have a good D, are in a dome, have a hc/oc which allow him to install and run his offense and have the offensive players that can execute it.

The only team that I see fits this is Zona but they already have Palmer so imo it's Denver or nothing.

Against everyone not named Tom Brady, his playoff record is 9-11. He is actually better vs Brady at 2-2 than vs everyone else.

Beat a Pats team with Reche Caldwell as our top receiver. The second time he went up against a severely depleted Pats team. Should be 0-4.

And to him going to another team, if he couldn't get it done with those weapons he had on the Broncos, it is unlikely he'd get it done on any other team.

There are plenty of other teams around the NFL that would improve upon their QB situation by taking Peyton Manning.

I would have to assume that Peyton Manning would be better than 1) EJ Manuel, 2) Geno Smith, 3) Johnny Manziel, 4) Zack Mettenburger, 5) Ryan Fitzpatrick, 6) Blake Bortles, and 7) Derek Carr.

That's just counting the AFC teams, which is almost 50 percent (7/16) squads.

I know a bunch of Raiders fans out here in LA, and most of them wouldn't want Manning. They're all in on Carr as their long-term, developmental QB. If they were closer to contention, pulling the trigger might make sense, but there's no sense in taking a year of experience away from your young guy to a one-year rental that absolutely won't get you a Lombardi and likely won't get you to the playoffs.

Beat a Pats team with Reche Caldwell as our top receiver. The second time he went up against a severely depleted Pats team. Should be 0-4.
Come on. Play it that way, and you could argue Brady should have no rings because you can make excuses.
Manning earned those wins.
I was pointing out that to say the only thing standing in his way of having a good playoff record is Tom Brady is incorrect, he is mediocre against everyone.

And to him going to another team, if he couldn't get it done with those weapons he had on the Broncos, it is unlikely he'd get it done on any other team.
Not really part of my comments, but I can't see him being a contender ever again. I think he retires.

I know a bunch of Raiders fans out here in LA, and most of them wouldn't want Manning. They're all in on Carr as their long-term, developmental QB. If they were closer to contention, pulling the trigger might make sense, but there's no sense in taking a year of experience away from your young guy to a one-year rental that absolutely won't get you a Lombardi and likely won't get you to the playoffs.
Agree with what Raider fans are thinking, but really they are all in on Carr, because its the only think that cam give them any reason for hope, and he didn't crap his pants this year. He hasn't shown he can be even an average QB yet.

Interesting, I wouldn't have guessed that. I must still be living in 2004.

Im not sure why there are so many threads on peyton, a guy whose season is done.

spock.gif

Yeah, it's a real head scratcher trying to figure out how the one opposing player most closely tied to Tom Brady throughout this career would be garnering interest.

He looked to me like the exact same playoff Peyton Manning of old. Not sure why everyone is so bent out of shape. In fact, I don't recall a time he didn't throw a pick-6 at home in the playoffs. He is just entering his prime.

Could be because he sucks and its one of the biggest stories in the NFL right now, cementing his legacy in failure, but that's just a guess.

Could be because he sucks and its one of the biggest stories in the NFL right now, cementing his legacy in failure, but that's just a guess.

As patriots fans, we don't need to obsess about all things manning. We have bigger fish to fry now. One thread on him is plenty.

Manning had his team as the 1st or 2nd seed in all his three years in DEN. He played poorly when injured, but still good enough to have the 2nd seed. I think that PM is still a top ten quarterback.

That being said, Manning would need a competitive team with a solid offensive line that plays in warm weather or a dome.

Obviously, Buffalo is a cold weather team. However, how do we think that Buffalo would end up with PM as their quarterback. I suspect that they would improve form 9-7.

The reality is that we patriot fans are very, very spoiled. For us, PM is a failure because his teams were only top two seeds in his three years, and only appeared the SB once, with no wins. By that measure, Brady is also a failure.

I would suspect that there are many GM's and coaches who might believe that Manning ould get them deep in the playoffs.
==============
All this being said, Manning may indeed choose to stay in DEN for a year or two and then retire.

As patriots fans, we don't need to obsess about all things manning. We have bigger fish to fry now. One thread on him is plenty.

Ian fixed the thread ignore function. It's working again. Problem solved.

Peyton Manning would be perfect at the Old Colony Sportmen's Association in Pembroke. Even the beginners could blast his ducks out of the sky:

Skeet_shoot_line_camo.jpg

Peyton with no arms is better than

(Starters this year)
Geno
Sanchez
Manuel
Fitzpatrick
Whoever in Tennessee
Whoever in Tampa
Whoever in Cleveland
Whoever in Redskins
Whoever in Chicago

If I was Peyton, I would go to a dome/hot weather team. Tampa? They might be rebuilding but it's a crap division. Saints and falcons play in dome.

Or Arizona. Who has all the pieces but tough to beat Seattle.
Agreed. There are any number of cellar dweller NFL teams who would take a flyer on Manning, even if you weren't sure how long he would last. Just the cache of having him would be an improvement to your team's fortunes.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back